Buying jewelry from your SA in a different state

Mar 27, 2009
If this is already being discussed please delete.
I was in NJ last month visiting family and stopped by Tiffany’s and purchased a bracelet. The SA there gave me her info and told me that I could purchase from her and she would ship it to me.
Now I am hearing rumors of a price increase for Tiffany’s in two weeks.
The sales tax in NJ is considerably lower than the sales tax in AL. If I were to contact her and make a purchase, would I be charged NJ tax or AL tax?
Curious if anyone has ever done this and what the results were, thank you!

Technically you should be charged sales tax in the state where you receive the item. However if this piece is rung up as though you are present, it would be NJ sales tax.

Does AL have use tax?

Reactions: darkangel07760
I have never heard of use tax, what is that?
It's a way for states without sales tax to collect a tax...say you have something shipped to Louisiana (no sales tax on many things), there is a 4% (I think, LA changes all the time) use tax for owning and using it within the state.
Or, if something comes in internationally that incurs no duty (fine art let's say, which can be imported duty-free), a state with use tax can charge you anyway. When I lived in California I got dinged many many times for use tax on art shipped from Europe. In Cali use tax is the same as sales tax, almost 10%!

It's something to be aware of and to understand how your state laws work.

It's a way for states without sales tax to collect a tax...say you have something shipped to Louisiana (no sales tax on many things), there is a 4% (I think, LA changes all the time) use tax for owning and using it within the state.
Or, if something comes in internationally that incurs no duty (fine art let's say, which can be imported duty-free), a state with use tax can charge you anyway. When I lived in California I got dinged many many times for use tax on art shipped from Europe. In Cali use tax is the same as sales tax, almost 10%!

It's something to be aware of and to understand how your state laws work.
This is very helpful! I will look into this, thank you so much! I didn’t know about this at all.