Buying Hermes scarf for girlfriend, have a couple of questions

paradox

Nov 5, 2010
Hello all,

Seeing as Christmas is coming up soon and I'm actually being responsible and planning my gifts early, it's time to start researching a gift for my girlfriend. The other day I overheard her talking to one of her friends saying that she has wanted a Hermes scarf since she was 17 (she is much older now) but that she could never justify it since it would be a purely frivolous purchase. Personally, I can't imagine going that many years wanting something without pulling the trigger on it (frivolousness be damned), but that's another issue entirely!

Anyway, I figured it would be a nice surprise to do sort of a "Hermes Christmas" theme - get her a scarf, a scarf ring, a "How to Tie Your Scarf" booklet, and maybe some other Hermes trinkets like playing cards or a charm to go along with it.

Being a man, I've no clue where to begin. I've been looking at some scarves on ebay and the "Les Cles" design seems like it would be something she would enjoy. However, the are various colors of them. I'm not sure if there are rules regarding versatility and color - for example, in the Men's world a navy suit is more versatile than black. I don't want to get her something she can't wear. Is the black Les Cles more formal than the blue one?

Is the Les Cles design an appropriate first scarf? Or is it considered "overproduced" or "too common" to the point of nobody wanting it (there are many on ebay)?

Would a gold scarf ring be appropriate to wear with this?

And finally, where should I buy the scarf? Obviously ebay has some, but I'm concerned about authenticity and it's very important to me that it be in excellent condition with the box and care tag. Are there other retailers that carry these scarves besides the actual Hermes store (which doesn't sell Les Cles anymore)?

Thank you so much for your help, and I apologize for the myriad questions.

Last edited:
There is a Hermes scarf department inside Berdorf Goodman. Look up their number and give the SA a call. She can tell you their inventory and ship you for a small cost and no sales tax if you're outside New York.

None of the designs are overproduced. The 'Les Cles' is a good start but for her first scarf, I definitely get her a new one from the store, not from Ebay !! There is a special magic for a Hermes fan to see the orange box with the nice ribbon on it.

As for the color, you should know what your GF's favorite is. The orange is a good one to begin with but Hermes have lovely blues too.

You should check out the Hermes.com site to get familiar with their scarves. It may help you nail the design and color before you contact the store.

Good luck.

Hi paradox! good on you for buying your gf her first H scarf. I think your idea of a scarf, scarf-ring, and how-to-tie booklet is lovely.
Have you checked out Hermes.com? And this thread:
http://forum.purseblog.com/hermes/which-scarf-pointu-pochette-are-you-wearing-today-597159.html
Can you quiz your girlfriend's girlfriend to see if there is a particular scarf that she likes? (but first make sure she can keep a secret!) Neutrals are good, but also maybe there is something in her favorite color? As for the scarf ring - does she prefer gold or silver jewelry? - get one that goes with the metal she wears more. Good luck!

ETA: agree with Chkpf - get her a new one, not one from ebay.

Good luck to you with your great gift hunt!

Everything you're looking for is available on hermes.com, although if you are near a store, it would be best to shop in person to choose what you think would be best for your girlfriend.

I don't think there are any Hermes scarves that are so over-produced that they are unwanted. If she's wanted one since she was 17, I'm sure your gift will be a big hit.

I am not sure where you are located, but les clefs is currently offered on the Hermes web site. Check under "Carrés 140cm surteints" French site. Another Classic design, Ex LibrisSilk Jersey scarf, hand-rolled 36cm. Les Eperons D'Or is also offered and is amazing for this season. You can easily get a piece at Neiman Marcus, or Hermes stores. Buying a silk is very personal, so many things to consider, age, hair color, skin tone and what type of colors this lady prefers. Does she likes neutral, earth colors or deep / flashy colors. FYI the knotting cards are usually offered and given away when you buy a silk.
and for scarf ring, what about Bolduc? good luck ! :smile:

It is very thoughtful of you to surprise your girlfriend with her first H scarf. A suggestion would be to go to your nearest boutique and express your request above: it would be helpful to have a photo of your girlfriend too, so the SA will know her coloring. Do not buy on EBAY as it takes an experienced eye and collector to know what is authentic or a reputable seller. As for designs like Les Cles, they are available in some of the stores. You might want to call the H website customer service reps who can tell you the inventory of various store that might carry a specific item and you could have it charged and sent to you. For a first scarf I would recommend the boutique, Neiman Marcus or BG or the website, since she could exchange it in the event she would like to choose another. As for scarf rings, that would depend upon the scarf you choose, but the classic Regate or Bolduc are always popular. Color is a personal choice-if she wears a lot of suits then sometimes a pop of color is fantastic; if you choose a scarf that has many colors including neutrals it will be versatile to wear with even jeans. The Christmas scarf this year is La Vie du Grand Nord and there is a thread dedicated to just this scarf! BTW-when my DH selected a birthday scarf for me- even though it would not have been my first choice, I loved his thoughtfulness in going into the store to choose something for me and I would not exchange it for any other scarf. I enjoy wearing it on special occasions such as our anniversary and V day. Good luck and HTH.:flowers:

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of nowhere right now (Cincinnati) so I have no way of handling the scarves personally. That would be my preference, but I believe the nearest store is five hours away. This was why I had originally planned on buying online. The shopping here is beyond abysmal. No Neiman Marcus, no Barney's, no Berdof Goodman, no Hermes boutiques, etc, etc.

Thank you for the Berdof Goodman suggestion however - it never occurred to me to have them ship it. And I didn't even realize Hermes.com had an online store. The website is frustratingly difficult to navigate - function over forum at it's worst! I'm even having a hard time just browsing all of the available selections.

I will definitely get it from a retailer so she can return it, though I suspect she won't even if she hates it to take pity on me :P

Last edited:
Another suggestion might be to plan a little trip to the boutique with her and enjoy the selection and time together-that would be very romantic and special.

Unfortunately I'm in the middle of nowhere right now (Cincinnati) so I have no way of handling the scarves personally. That would be my preference, but I believe the nearest store is five hours away. This was why I had originally planned on buying online. The shopping here is beyond abysmal. No Neiman Marcus, no Barney's, no Berdof Goodman, no Hermes boutiques, etc, etc.

Thank you for the Berdof Goodman suggestion however - it never occurred to me to have them ship it. And I didn't even realize Hermes.com had an online store. The website is frustratingly difficult to navigate - function over forum at it's worst! I'm even having a hard time just browsing all of the available selections.

I will definitely get it from a retailer so she can return it, though I suspect she won't even if she hates it to take pity on me :P

I'd be happy to give you the name & number of a good sales associate at an Hermes store who could help you choose & they would also ship to you.

Let me know if you'd be interested in that info.

If your in Cincinnati, then your best bet would be Berdorf or Hermes.com. Use the Hermes.com and nail it down first to the size. The most popular one is the 90cm and it is big enough unless you want a shawl size. Then pick the color first and it will display the designs available for you. It is much easier to do it 'cos they are too many designs. Or you can choose by design and I find that the easiest since you can scroll down and they will display the colors that they have inventory. That does not represent that all the colorways of that design, just what is instock.

I just got another scarf from Berdorf and they charge less in shipping than Hermes.com so I would call them first. But you need to nail down several designs first and it would be easier to do it on the phone. Berdorf doesn't have all the colors either but they have a good selection and sometimes they have ones from previous seasons that may it more precious.

Good luck in your search. Come back and tell us what your choices are.

You can always buy it from Hermes online or call up a shop that doesn't mind to setup a delivery for you (I'm sure some members here can recommend some shops).
Do you have a budget in mind by the way? But for 1st scarf, I think you can't go wrong with the 90cm silk twill @ $375, not so expensive compared to other types.

Considering it's a 1st scarf and if you are not buying many more any time soon, you would want something that can be matched with as many colours/clothes as possible.
Out of recent collections, I think if it was me, these are some designs that I'd get:
- Timbalier (ref# 001367S29)
- La Vie du Grand Nord (ref# 002187S16)
- Zabavushka (if you can still find this one, by all means go for it!) - Ref#002518S02 (and they have many other nice colours too)
- Cent Plis Des Miao (Ref#002473S02)
- Ex Libris (Ref #351063S01) This one is in Silk Jersey material, quite a bit more expensive but the design is something that she can wear til she has grandchildren!

I can go on and on all day because really it's hard to find an Hermes scarf that is not nice. Just make sure that you match the colour with her skin tone and what sort of colour of clothing she usually wears. The ladies here can help you more with that if you describe those, but then again, it all comes up to her personal preference in colour of course.
To not to give her any hint, take her to normal shops that have scarves and let her browse them and see what sort of colour/scarf style that she like then you can have an idea what sort of Hermes ones she will like. But try not to mention Hermes so she won't figure it out though....
Good luck man. It's fun trying to source something nice for the partner and the expression when she opens the gift is priceless (especially if it's an Hermes scarf :biggrin:).

Last edited:
Definitely do get the classic 90cm silk scarf. Since she has been wanting one since she was 17, this must be the version that she is referring to. Hermes has come out with different types of scarves in the recent few years, so take note and do get the classic type.

I'm going to get my first Hermes scarf soon as well, and it is very confusing, I hear you! On Hermes.com go to USA, and then shop online (not explore the world of Hermes) and then you can click on Womens and then Scarves and then from there you will see a bunch of different choices. If you see something come up letting you search by color click on the colors you like because that seems to bring up many more choices than just trying to navigate through the pages, I'm not sure why. This is an awesome gift idea!

Once you figure out how to navigate the Hermes website <sound of gnashing teeth!> , ordering from them is a breeze and delivery is very quick. There is nothing like opening the package and seeing that beautiful orange box tied with the classic Bolduc ribbon! When my scarf arrived from the Hermes US website, they had thoughtfully included a perfume sample as well.

You are an exemplary boyfriend, and I am sure your girlfriend will be thrilled with her gift!