Buying habits

Mar 26, 2009
Has anyone ever bought something they loved but returned it thinking they would not wear it only to buy it again?

I bought a dress last summer loved it but it was a cocktail dress and I never got to wear it so I returned it only do buy it again. I really love the dress and it looks good on me not sure when I will get to wear it but it is one of those dresses that I feel is good to have in your closet for when something does come up.

What do you you guys think?

I've never done that myself, but if you've re-purchased the dress I'd say it's a pretty good sign it belongs in your closet even if you don't have a specific event on the horizon. A wardrobe should be practical, but a girl needs a cocktail dress!

I DO think the cocktail dress, to be most practical and versatile and long-lasting in terms of style, should be classic - not trendy. We've all purchased beautiful, au courant cocktail dresses that sat in the back of our closets and then when an occasion arose, we realized its style had, in fact, been fleeting. It's a bummer. And a waste. Your purchase doesn't sound like it's going to play out in this scenario though! Right…?

I've never done that myself. But, it sounds to me like this dress was meant to be in your wardrobe. Hopefully an event will come up in the near future where you can wear this dress.

If not, you could always plan your own cocktail party with a few friends and drag it out for this event.

It's actually best to buy occasion wear when you get the chance because when you really need an outfit there won't be one, and there is nothing worse than feeling that date is moving closer with nothing to wear :panic:

Thanks for your replies I do really love the dress and I feel I could wear it for different occasions even a wedding. I do have a few things coming up in the next few months so I think if I found something that I love it is best to hold on to it for that reason. I think it will be good for years to come it is not to trending it is black and white lace short fitted dress sleeveless dress.

I usually buy based on what I like and not because I need a certain thing for an event. When the time comes (sometimes even years later), that item becomes totally useful. This especially with coctail dresses