Buying from Ebay... :(

Lucinda2012

Oct 13, 2012
A few of you will know I've been lusting after a Mitzy messenger, well I ordered one from eBay and its just arrived and I'm really disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the bag itself is lovely, but the front plaque has tarnished. I've attached the photo advertised and a photo of the actual plaque. It was advertised as undamaged, just a few tiny scratches, but this is obviously not the case.

I've messaged the seller for a refund, she has a no returns policy but the item received was not as described. I'm hoping she'll take it back, she's been lovely so far but it did look like the plaque had been polished and damaged in the process.

If she refuses what are my options? How easy/quick is it to claim back against Paypal for goods not as described? I know for counterfeit goods it's fairly easy but unsure on this. It's just too obvious for me to put up with, the tarnish is clearly visible, I saw it within seconds. You can't really tell from my photo just how obvious the colour difference is.

Don't think I have the confidence to buy off EBay again, you can never be sure what you'll receive. Gutted :sad:

Attachments

• image-142536641.jpg
    image-142536641.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 615
  • image-473335462.jpg
    image-473335462.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 618
Lucinda2012 said:
A few of you will know I've been lusting after a Mitzy messenger, well I ordered one from eBay and its just arrived and I'm really disappointed.

Don't get me wrong, the bag itself is lovely, but the front plaque has tarnished. I've attached the photo advertised and a photo of the actual plaque. It was advertised as undamaged, just a few tiny scratches, but this is obviously not the case.

I've messaged the seller for a refund, she has a no returns policy but the item received was not as described. I'm hoping she'll take it back, she's been lovely so far but it did look like the plaque had been polished and damaged in the process.

If she refuses what are my options? How easy/quick is it to claim back against Paypal for goods not as described? I know for counterfeit goods it's fairly easy but unsure on this. It's just too obvious for me to put up with, the tarnish is clearly visible, I saw it within seconds. You can't really tell from my photo just how obvious the colour difference is.

Don't think I have the confidence to buy off EBay again, you can never be sure what you'll receive. Gutted :sad:

Hiya

So sorry to hear your awful experience. I think if you file SNAD and back it up with lot of pictures you should be ok. File with eBay directly as I don't think you can file with PayPal and eBay at the same time so eBay customer service are your best port of call.

Let us know how you get on x

Lucinda,

Sorry this is happening :sad:
I think you did the right thing by contacting the seller first. Is she doesn't agree to return-refund, (or she doesn't reply at all) I would file a SNAD like new2mulbs suggested. If you take clear pictures and describe the situation and problem in detail I am sure they will side with you!

As for buying on eBay: don't let this one experience ruin things for you entirely. There are some lovely sellers out there, and you can find great deals when you look for them on eBay :smile:

Good luck and keep us posted :tup:

I know you want a refund but coming from a completely different angle now - would the hardware be able to be refurbished - would it be worth asking either Mulberry themself or a local tradesperson ?
Just thinking aloud !

Millicat said:
I know you want a refund but coming from a completely different angle now - would the hardware be able to be refurbished - would it be worth asking either Mulberry themself or a local tradesperson ?
Just thinking aloud !

I did think about it, problem is the bag model is discontinued. So far seller is refusing to refund saying there was no tainting/fading, I've just sent her my photo as evidence and stressed I'd rather settle this amicably as the whole dispute process is fairly laborious. She's been fantastic up until now so hopefully we can sort it out.

I think I would rather have a straight refund but I'll contact mulberry if she refuses again before I launch a case with eBay. I do like the bag, it's just a shame the tarnishing is so obvious.

I did think about it, problem is the bag model is discontinued. So far seller is refusing to refund saying there was no tainting/fading, I've just sent her my photo as evidence and stressed I'd rather settle this amicably as the whole dispute process is fairly laborious. She's been fantastic up until now so hopefully we can sort it out.

I think I would rather have a straight refund but I'll contact mulberry if she refuses again before I launch a case with eBay. I do like the bag, it's just a shame the tarnishing is so obvious.

The tarnishisg was obvious from pictures in the listing. Didn't You see it BEFORE you bought the bag? Seller posted clear picture in the listing

The tarnishisg was obvious from pictures in the listing. Didn't You see it BEFORE you bought the bag? Seller posted clear picture in the listing

I can see that there are worn markings/scratches in the picture from the listing but the condition of the plaque in the second picture looks very different? Am I missing something here?

I think the seller should offer a refund, the item is not as described or as pictured. Or maybe offer a partial refund to go towards replacing/fixing it?

qtyuki said:
I can see that there are worn markings/scratches in the picture from the listing but the condition of the plaque in the second picture looks very different? Am I missing something here?

I think the seller should offer a refund, the item is not as described or as pictured. Or maybe offer a partial refund to go towards replacing/fixing it?

The tarnishing is not visible in the third photo I'm afraid. There is no difference in colour whatsoever, it appears as if all gold which is misleading. I enlarged the photos to have a good look so yes I did check before I bought the bag. The plaque looks completely different in real life and there was no mention of tarnishing in the seller's description, just scratches. Not as described and certainly not as expected, which is a shame.

The tarnishing is not visible in the third photo I'm afraid. There is no difference in colour whatsoever, it appears as if all gold which is misleading. I enlarged the photos to have a good look so yes I did check before I bought the bag. The plaque looks completely different in real life and there was no mention of tarnishing in the seller's description, just scratches. Not as described and certainly not as expected, which is a shame.

Yes that's what I thought too, I couldn't see any tarnishing either from the photo. If she doesn't come back to you or she refuses to budge I would definitely file a case with ebay.

i don't know Mulberry, so I am a bit confused. The first photo posted is from the listing, when the item was still in the possession of the seller correct? And the second photo is the one taken of the plaque upon receipt?

qtyuki said:
Yes that's what I thought too, I couldn't see any tarnishing either from the photo. If she doesn't come back to you or she refuses to budge I would definitely file a case with ebay.

Unfortunately that's looks like what I may have to do. It's misrepresentation sadly. Determined to keep things professional and polite but looks like I'll have to claim my money back via eBay.

poopsie2 said:
i don't know Mulberry, so I am a bit confused. The first photo posted is from the listing, when the item was still in the possession of the seller correct? And the second photo is the one taken of the plaque upon receipt?

Yes, that's correct. No mention of any tarnishing in the description, however it's so blatant on the bag I noticed it within seconds.

Honestly, in comparing the two pictures you posted, your own picture looks less scratched and tarnished than the one in the listing.

Truly, I don't see any non-disclosure or snad.