Buying Duplicates

louislover260

Jan 16, 2008
Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but I've been so busy with school and everything.

I just bought a brand new Mono Speedy 40 about a year ago from the boutique, and I've only carried it about 5 or 6 times. I love it, but I love my Epi bags more, I'm also afraid of something happening to it when I'm carrying it.

I love all of my LV's, but I don't have one that I'm comfortable with using everyday, and being carefree with it. I did have a MBMJ black packable shopping tote, but it cramped my style! lol. I decided I had to have a LV that I could use everyday. So what did I do?

I bought a second monogram Speedy 40 on eBay last night. I plan to keep the brand new Speedy 40 for nice occasions, and I can use the pre-owned one everyday and just throw everything in it, and I can finally retire my nasty MBMJ bag! The vachetta on the pre-owned Speedy has a nice deep patina, so it should be alright in the rain... right? lol.

Has anyone else done this before?!

This just seems silly to me. I guess I'm just the kind of person where if I'm going to spend MY money on something, you're gonna bet that I'm gonna use it!!! A purse is made to be carried...obviously don't carry it in a huge downpour or throw it in the dirt but I mean you spent the money on the new one, so use it!!!

Hello everyone! It's been a long time since I've posted on here, but I've been so busy with school and everything.

I just bought a brand new Mono Speedy 40 about a year ago from the boutique, and I've only carried it about 5 or 6 times. I love it, but I love my Epi bags more, I'm also afraid of something happening to it when I'm carrying it.

I love all of my LV's, but I don't have one that I'm comfortable with using everyday, and being carefree with it. I did have a MBMJ black packable shopping tote, but it cramped my style! lol. I decided I had to have a LV that I could use everyday. So what did I do?

I bought a second monogram Speedy 40 on eBay last night. I plan to keep the brand new Speedy 40 for nice occasions, and I can use the pre-owned one everyday and just throw everything in it, and I can finally retire my nasty MBMJ bag! The vachetta on the pre-owned Speedy has a nice deep patina, so it should be alright in the rain... right? lol.

Has anyone else done this before?!

I've never done this before, but I really understand why you did! In so many ways, it makes a lot of sense!!! :biggrin:

I understand where you're going, but it does not makes sense to me.. Like you're scared of your newer speedy to patina, but you don't mind carrying a patina-ed speedy?

You should definitely use the new Speedy! The more you use it, the more comfortable you'll be carrying it out. Maybe try breaking it in slowly.

I'd probably sell the one with patina and just enjoy your brand new one!

Before I say anything, in the end do what you want and get what you love. But in my opinion, I wouldnt purchase 2 of the same bag and use one for good occassions and one for carefree day use. Because it seems especially for you, that you would use your epi bags more anyways, so this new speedy is going to collect dust and not be the best use of your money. The preloved one, if it works for your everyday bag, thats great. You can use and abuse it (within reason LOL) and then always have the vachetta replaced if you find its getting too tired looking in a couple of years. That will give you lots of life out of the preloved bag. As for the new speedy, you could sell it or use that instead of the preloved one and again just replaced tired parts (vachetta) in the years to come. If you keep the new speedy, then sell the preloved. Also the way I see it (and how I would do it) is I would keep 1 speedy (prob the new one) and sell the other then allow myself to buy a tote which might serve you better for day to day and shopping. Maybe check out damier ebene neverfull or beaubourg as you can use these as totes but wont have to worry about vachetta or leather scratching (such as on the epi). Plus something like the neverfull is less expensive than products in epi line, so if 5 years down the road it is completely worn out, you can retire it and get something new without having lost a fair bit of money. Or you can always do repairs!!! ANd with routine upkeep and cleaning, you should be able to keep that everyday bag in pretty good condition. Thats just my two cents...let us know what you decide and can you post pics of you with your speedys?

I have sold a bag I loved before and then repurchased it later because I miss it so much - and strangely enuff it was with the mono 40. I purchased it new and sold it a year later and just bought it again off of eBay in AMAZING condition - and it was made in 2004 so I won't have to worry about the thinner piping on the post-2007 ones.

But I've never owned two of the same bag...just sell the pre-owned one and enjoy your new one. Just pre-oxidize it first, do a search on mono speedy 40s and a guy one here - the one with the Bugs Bunny avatar has great rules for that. He owns an old mono 40 and it looks brand new still and he uses it everyday - the key is pre-oxidizing.

wait, so you own 2 of the exact same bag??:confused1: Isn't that a huge waste of money? wouldn't you rather get another brand new bag instead of having a duplicate of a one you already own? I could never see myself doing that, i'm totally confused

Well in my collection this will be my third Speedy 40. I have two Mono ones, and an Epi one.

I bought this bag so I could use an LV everyday, and still keep the ones I currently have nice. Had I bought a bag that wasn't a duplicate I'd feel the need to baby it, and I'd be in the same boat I'm in now. So all-in-all this is perfect for me!

I agree on the fact that LV bags are usually babied, as we all want them to stay beautiful for the longest possible, so we feel that we cannot truly enjoy them. However, since you have the new mono and the epi, about a damier? That bag would take wear much better than the mono. Also you can spray the vachetta on the new mono with the Apple spray, so it will last longer

You should definitely use the new Speedy! The more you use it, the more comfortable you'll be carrying it out. Maybe try breaking it in slowly.

I'd probably sell the one with patina and just enjoy your brand new one!

don't be aftraid to use your bag! and the mono canvas is incredibly durable. if the patina on the handles gets too dark get the handles replaced (it takes years of daily use to get to this point, IMO). but to have two Speedy 40's, one to use daily and one to only use occasionally seems kind of silly to me.

Yeah, doesn't make sense to me.

but technically they are not that identical
one has honey patina straps
and the other one has light brown straps.... but later after it's been exposed enough sun, they will be identical
ok I will stop mumbling heh