Buying display pieces ...

Sep 15, 2018
do you „bother“ you to buy a display piece and non brand new one / untouched one ?

Do you have any thoughts of are afraid to buy a display piece and would not buy it even it is the last one?

I am very new to Chanel and my little experience are buying if you want something cause for you take your mind about it, it’s to late and another one caught it. This is very stressful, isn’t it ;)

Is a display piece more „worse“ than a brand new one cause touched so many times ?

I am curious about what you’re thinking about this and what you would do :smile:

Me personally i always ask my sa for a brand new one or i just wait for another shipment to come. I know a lot of people who don’t mind but i’ve noticed the hardware on most display pieces are scratched and since there are some people who aren’t gentle with the bags when trying them on so you might see some other damage (creasing,marks, indents,scratches, etc). I would advise to never get one without examining very closely especially if there is no sticker protecting the hardware.

Reactions: Happywifehappylife
I personally would rather not unless it is a seasonal, limited edition piece so I don’t have the choice of waiting a couple weeks for another shipment.
Honestly even though the SA is there to watch the customers, people don’t take care with display pieces. There was a coco handle I saw that already had corner wear in the store, the bag was caviar and at that time it hasn’t even hit the stores for a week at that time. I bought a brand new version of that coco handle, and though I don’t use it all the time, 9 months later my bag has NO corner wear. This has made me super weary of display pieces. If I must buy one, I would always check over every millimeter to make sure it is perfect or I can live with whatever defect it might have

do you „bother“ you to buy a display piece and non brand new one / untouched one ?

Do you have any thoughts of are afraid to buy a display piece and would not buy it even it is the last one?

I am very new to Chanel and my little experience are buying if you want something cause for you take your mind about it, it’s to late and another one caught it. This is very stressful, isn’t it ;)

Is a display piece more „worse“ than a brand new one cause touched so many times ?

I am curious about what you’re thinking about this and what you would do :smile:

I only buy lambskin from chanel (never Caviar), and I will inspect the bag/SLG intensively before I give SA my card.
Usually the displayed lambskin items would have light scratches (from finger nails, maybe?).
I won't buy it. It's just not meant to be mine.

Ps: one time, I had the exact dilemma:
SA said it's the last one, it's on display, I saw scratches on the lambskin, SA was not sure when next shipment would be arriving. I said no.
SA said: "it's lambskin, it's bound to get scratches once you start to use it."
I smiled politely and left the store.
2-3 weeks later I went in the store and bought the brand new flawless item. (I saw flaws on the first one, asked for all three they have in stock, pick a flawless one)
I KNOW it's going to get scratched up, but at the time I pay for it, it must be flawless to be worthy of my money.:coolio:

Thing with Chanel is it’s super limited. And all the the items I want, tend to be the popular items. I will always ask for new. But sometimes, they don’t have. So I will inspect the display piece to make sure it’s in great shape. If it’s perfect, no problem getting display. If it isn’t... absolutely no.

Me again.

Ok i understand: For saisonal pieces it’s very hard to get an untouched / brand new one. So you have to buy the display pieces....

But good to know when I will buy a classic piece. I ask for the next order and take a brand new one. Thank you for this information. I will do this !

Was at my local boutique yesterday evening to check out on the small caviar flap in burgundy shw. The display one was out for a week (fall/winter was only launched a week ago in my country) and I have requested for my SA to bring out 2 new ones which were opened up infront of me.

The 2 new ones came with flaws like scuffs on the stitching area or tear (attached one for reference) while display one is flawless I must say except for some hairline scratches on hardware since sticker was removed. Feeling bummed because I personally came across bags on display in much better condition than supposedly brand new ones. You wouldn’t know, some of the so-called brand new ones could be returned items as well because not all of them were taken out wrapped for you to see.

if you were me, which one would you pick?

3EF3CBE6-7A07-410E-B919-8CE385D1FEBA.jpeg

Was at my local boutique yesterday evening to check out on the small caviar flap in burgundy shw. The display one was out for a week (fall/winter was only launched a week ago in my country) and I have requested for my SA to bring out 2 new ones which were opened up infront of me.

The 2 new ones came with flaws like scuffs on the stitching area or tear (attached one for reference) while display one is flawless I must say except for some hairline scratches on hardware since sticker was removed. Feeling bummed because I personally came across bags on display in much better condition than supposedly brand new ones. You wouldn’t know, some of the so-called brand new ones could be returned items as well because not all of them were taken out wrapped for you to see.

if you were me, which one would you pick?

View attachment 4858370

I would pick the display with hairline scratches on the hardware, and I did with a seasonal color classic flap last year. Bag was immaculate except for the hairline scratches on the hardware.

I would pick the display with hairline scratches on the hardware, and I did with a seasonal color classic flap last year. Bag was immaculate except for the hairline scratches on the hardware.

Thanks for sharing your views! I did the same and brought the display back. Initially I took the flawed new piece and I was not happy. Deep down I was feeling very bothered by the fact that I’m paying so much for a defected bag. I went back, took a close look at display piece and it is immaculate to me. I’m so much happier now :smile:

Reactions: mrsblue
Thanks for sharing your views! I did the same and brought the display back. Initially I took the flawed new piece and I was not happy. Deep down I was feeling very bothered by the fact that I’m paying so much for a defected bag. I went back, took a close look at display piece and it is immaculate to me. I’m so much happier now :smile:
That’s great to hear! The bag I got was the last one in the country, and I am not too bothered by scratched hardware if it’s not too noticeable. I have seen bags that have way bigger problems than hairline scratches out from the box like you did. :smile: