Buying diamonds from Caribbean islands...

sahree

O.G.
Mar 27, 2006
Im going to Aruba this summer and heard there's a good market of diamonds. Including ones that allow you to bring the jewelry home, have it appraised, and then make the payment. Seems too good to be true...... plus, apparently you can haggle??

Has anyone done this??? Let me know your experiences.

High mark-up allows for haggling and high discounts....

I know of one instance where someone bought the piece, got the appraisal, found out they got ripped off (all within exceptable time period) and went through hell trying to get their money back.

I think it can be risky, unless you really know what you are looking at. I have never heard of buy now, pay later either.

My mom bought my grandmother a new e-ring in the islands when she was there on business on my grandfather's behalf. However, he wanted to spend no more than 1k on the whole thing but wanted at least .75 stone! She ended up getting her a .75 or somewhere around there solitaire in yellow gold that is likely about L-N in color- it does have a very, very visible tint for about $800. I have no idea about the quality of the stone or the cut. It does sparkle, but really, what do you get for $800 in that weight? Not much, I expect. He's just cheap and spends money on himself, but not her...

I went to the Caribbean via cruise earlier this year and stopped at 5 different islands. Diamond stores were everywhere! I did end up buying diamond hoop earrings for about $550 (haggled down from about $800 I think). I was very weary buying jewelry at any place, I ended up buying it at a store that Princess cruises guarantees (i.e. if I have problems Princess cruise will take the hit and refund me the $$). The store I purchased from apparently designs for Saks/NM I hear. Anyhow I didn't spend great amounts of money but am pleased with my earrings which I wear every day!

You just have to be careful who you buy from. Places like Little Switzerland, etc (bigger chains) should be fine.

I went to Aruba last year and bought a beautiful pair of 1 1/2 karat diamond earrings, I got them on clearence for $900 they are perfect. Just search around the jewerly stores in Little Switzerland. I didn't think the diamonds were much cheaper at all, but then again I am no diamond expert.