Buying designer bag but refusing to use the store marked shopping bag?

I comment on Purse Blog today that completely baffled my small little mind. The poster stated that she regularly shops at Hermes but due to the harsh economy she requests that they put it in a plain white shopping bag rather than the Hermes orange shopping bag. :huh:

It is understandable to not want to boast your success around those less fortunate in this recession. HOWEVER...if you carry the BIRKIN that you just bought at the Hermes store (or whatever was purchased...it is kind of irrelevant) what difference does it make if you carry it out in a plain or marked shopping bag?

Hopefully this post is not misunderstood. I believe that each individual has the right to spend their hard earned money (or credit) in any way they choose. I was just a bit confused by the statement. I guess my question is why does one feel guilty and boastful carrying the free shopping bag, but carrying the expensive item inside the shopping bag is justified? :confused1::confused1::confused1:

i actually saw this on the news. lots of people who were buying expensive things were asking for plain unmarked bags as to not rub it in peoples faces amidst the recession. but these days people can find anything to be offended over.

Reactions: Sferics
^^^I am not offended by this, rather more confused. Is it not rubbing it in others faces to carry a Chanel bag down the street just as much as carrying a Chanel shopping bag?

Idk...just kinda confused me I guess.:shrugs:

oh no i wasn't referring to you about being offended. i think its just the media making everything such a big deal. i can't afford those things and i dont really care who could. just more interesting things to look at and drool over when i'm walking down the street lol

i actually saw this on the news. lots of people who were buying expensive things were asking for plain unmarked bags as to not rub it in peoples faces amidst the recession. but these days people can find anything to be offended over.

Oh Hell....If that is the case...I'll leave the shopping bag and hit them over the head with the High End handbag I purchased and go screaming like a wild woman.."YEAH...I BOUGHT IT!!!...SO WHAT!...WHO CARES!!...IT'S MY MONEY!!!!...I EARNED IT, DARN IT!!!...:nuts::lol:

whewww!...I feel so much better now that I have that out of my system. :biggrin:

Maybe the marked paper bag screams "it's real" ? Not sure if the circumstances is crazy enough to try to make a real piece seem fake so that others won't feel uncomfortable knowing the amount of money that's spent... just my speculation.

Maybe the shopping bag screams "it's new!" whereas carrying a bag might just mean u cld have had it for the longest time ever esp if it is a classic design and colour.

^ Yes, exactly. :yes:

Also, many people probably wouldn't recognise a non obviously-branded/fairly subtley-branded bag; but they would recognise the word 'Hermes', or 'Chanel', emblazoned on a carrier bag.

I think it's completely understandable - many, many people are hurting out there and I wouldn't want to rub my purchases in their faces, either (not that I'm making many, at the moment and certainly not at Hermes!). :sad:

Last edited:
:ghi5:
^ Yes, exactly. :yes:

Also, many people probably wouldn't recognise a non obviously-branded, fairly subtley-branded, bag; but they would recognise the word 'Hermes', or 'Chanel', emblazoned on a carrier bag.

I think it's completely understandable - many, many people are hurting out there and I wouldn't want to rub my purchases in their faces, either (not that I'm making many, at the moment and certainly not at Hermes!). :sad:

thnx

Last edited by a moderator:
i think its more related to the "average" person not knowing a birkin if they saw one (since the name is not emblazoned all over it), but they may know the name by the bag. same with theft...i dont think the regular petty thief knows a birkin by the look....but on a subway, you cam easily be marked a potential target by the bag alone.

Buying designers fashion helps the USA flourish, if these purchases need to be hidden in a white shopping bag isn’t it like surrendering to the poor economy (e.g. throwing in the white flag?)