Buying Chanel For The First Time

VioletteMay

Jun 26, 2018
Hey ladies,
I'm purchasing my first ever Chanel bag within the next few weeks. I have my heart set on the medium/large classic flap in gold hardware. However, what I'm stuck on is do I purchase it in the lambskin or caviar? Realistically, I know I should go for the caviar as it doesn't age as quickly but my heart keeps telling me to get the lambskin. The reason why I'm hesitant to purchase it in the lambskin is that I want to make this bag my go-to and from the stories I've read and the Youtube videos I've watched, I've noticed that those who chose the lambskin found that scuffing started to occur around the edges of the bag after only a few months of wear. What's your experience with lambskin and do you use it daily? If not, what do you love about caviar? I'm keen to hear your thoughts.

I personally only have caviar bags, but I definately will agree that lambskin feels inarguably softer and a lot more luxurious than the caviar. From what I've read here on TPF many people say that lambskin is actually a lot more durable than most people think. Like if you get light scratching, then you can lightly rub the scratch with either your cleaning cloth or your finger, and the scratch will come out. It is true that lambskin will show more wear than the caviar, but if you want the lambskin, then don't settle for the caviar. You might have to be more a lot more careful with the bag, but for a purchase that is this expensive get the bag that you want. Not to make this post too long, but I love the colored Chanel bags in lambskin much more than the caviar because the leather brings out the color much better, to me lambskin looks great for special occasions and nighttime use. But I love caviar, because I don't baby my bags.

I would go with your heart. I did that too and decided for the lambskin. And I never regret it. Before I bought my lambskin medium large I worried about that facts that most of the people said. But I found out, that this rumours are overrated. Light scratches disappear one time. And the bag is so small that Its not difficult to hold the bag save. Furthermore the lambskin has that feeling which a caviar cannot give.

I bet you will adore the lambskin [emoji7]

Reactions: SamanthaStevens
Being a reissue girl I am partial to distressed calf. I do love caviar for durability (my fanny packs are caviar), but the sheen of lambskin is so beautiful and unique to the lamb. But my busy life doesnt allow me to baby anything (I haven’t worn white in a decade lol) and my distressed calf bags have a wonderful texture and require minimal maintenance.

If this is your “go-to” bag, I would suggest caviar. I think if you get lamb, you’d end up babying it a lot more and not use it as you intended. Lamb is not that delicate but it is not an everyday bag (for me anyway). Caviar is beautiful and you won’t be afraid to use it. Chanel is a slippery slope, get lamb next. [emoji6]

Hey ladies,
I finally got my hands on the ghw classic double flap. I decided on the caviar as it was for everyday use and I felt it worked for my lifestyle more. However, upon purchasing in the boutique I noticed it was “made in Italy”. Will this affect the value of the bag? I felt a little bummed it wasn’t from France. Is it worth returning? My SA said she personally hasn’t seen a flap in my preference that was made in France for the past 6 months. My question is, do you guys have a preference where your bag is made?