Food Buying Caviar Online?

claireZk

Jun 18, 2007
Has anyone ever bought caviar online? If so where did you get it?

What I'm looking for is sushi grade salmon (red) caviar, preferably farm raised and not pasteurized. It's the sort of thing I would MUCH rather buy in person, but I live in the middle of nowhere in redneckville. There are some websites that will pack it on ice and ship it, but it sort of makes me nervous...

I think you are going to have to trust ice and ship or give up on your quest.

Caviar IS raw fish eggs. Anything with a low shelf life is not fresh.

Horrifically bad caviar is salted to death and canned to last for years. You don't want that stuff.

I'm truly sorry for the bad news.

Now that the weather is a little colder I'm not as worried about it. My postman has left packages places where we never saw them and he leaves signature-only stuff lying around unsigned for. I was envisioning my caviar sitting at 60 degrees all day somewhere where the neighbors cats could get it while I was at work. :Push:

The thing I'm still unsure about is that with the shipping, I'll end up paying a ton of money for a relatively cheap product and I have no way to know whether or not it's even good before I buy it.

I have a feeling I'm going to end up taking a roadtrip somewhere to get it...

Your local fish store probably has access to sushi-grade salmon caviar. Ask them to order it for you.

They may think you are nuts but hopefully they will comply to make a sale.

Good luck!