Buying Cartier at Heathrow

bellapurse

Aug 22, 2011
Hi! I read somewhere that Cartier watches can cost less in LHR airport comparing to US. Can anyone confirm this? I know someone said its cheaper to buy in a boutique in US vs in Europe but I haven't heard about LHR.

Myrkur

Góðan Daginn
Jun 9, 2011
Ohh am wondering the same since i'll be flying to NYC through LHR

Astaroth

May 25, 2012
Cartier list their UK prices on their website so you can find the UK store prices. To get the duty free prices at LHR simply divide the price by 1.2 to remove the VAT

bellapurse

Aug 22, 2011
Ok I was wondering the same because prices looked higher when they are suppose to be at least the same.

lanvin

Nov 24, 2008
Cartier at Heathrow only discount by 17.5 % (as of the end of 2012 at least)

bellapurse

Aug 22, 2011
It's 20% but when non EU residents claim the VAT refund it ends up being less because of the handling fee. So the actual refund its not 20%.

kazzer

Dec 14, 2012
London
It's 20% but when non EU residents claim the VAT refund it ends up being less because of the handling fee. So the actual refund its not 20%.
Thanks for clearing that up. I would still shop around as prices in Heathrow for most luxury goods tend to be more expensive than US prices.

lanvin

Nov 24, 2008
I don't understand that. I live in the UK and VAT was increased from 17.5% to 20% in January 2011, with no exceptions.
I also live in the UK and got a love ring, it was around 17.5% off the price in the london boutiques and also in Bulgari if I remember

Just wanted to see if there were updates about the vat since I'll be going to Heathrow soon

Remy1995

Dec 28, 2012
Yay, this thread has been so helpful to me as I am going through transit in heathrow flying from Boston (not sure about the terminals yet though:P:biggrin:)

I've checked the website and I'm loving the prices after I divide the listed price by 1.2, you've been arguing about the vat, so if it's 20% what shall I divide the list price by?

I'm flying this week, interested in a rose/yellow gold love cuff with one diamond/sapphire:

According to my research:

The gold cuff with one diamond is:
$5237 - (UK website price) <-- according to this thread VAT is included.
$4364 - (UK website's price divided by 1.2)
$4950 - excl. sales taxes (US website) <-- will be more expensive with taxes

The sapphire is around those prices too, in heathrow it should be $4076 (UK website's price divided by 1.2)

Please help me if you can, it will be much appreciated :smile: xo