Buying accessories direct from factories that make high-end designer items?

TraceySH

Always hunting for the next bag
Feb 28, 2016
This is an interesting article I thought, as it would seem consumers are shifting perhaps from big loud labels and "brand heritage" (substantiating outlandish prices for accessories for name alone) and focusing more on quality and craftsmanship. I think the 2 used to be intertwined, but now they can be mutually exclusive. High-end means expensive, but not necessarily high-quality (as in the many threads on designer specific forums over the last couple of years). Also out were articles over the last few years describing imported labor to Italy, Spain, etc to bolster the romanticism/ illusion of trans-generational artisans making products for Gucci, Chanel, etc through their family-centric narratives in small Italian towns. What we did learn is those same factories make shoes and other leather goods for less expensive brands such as JCrew, without the astronomical price tag (same person, same stitching, same process, same materials, different marketing channels).

I wonder if 2019 will beckon more quality-over-logo demand, where many of us would be willing to order direct from factories to enjoy the same (or better) quality without the multi-channel markup that just adding a logo to a product exacts. Are consumers ready to get back to quality, transparency and craftsmanship over "prestige"?

Thought this might be fun item to discuss :smile: Happy New Year everyone!

https://www.theguardian.com/fashion...rect-from-factory-designer-labels-lose-appeal

Never mind the logo: how savvy buyers are finding luxury for less

Shoppers avoid hefty designer markups on clothes and cosmetics by ordering direct from factories

Karen Kay

Sun 30 Dec 2018 04.00 ESTLast modified on Sun 30 Dec 2018 07.59 EST

• Luxury shoppers are eschewing the likes of Burberry for no-logo premium products. Photograph: Arnd Wiegmann/Reuters
Designer labels have long been status symbols for those keen to display their wealth. In the last decade, fashion houses such as Gucci, Fendi, and Louis Vuitton have sought to exploit their signature logos as style staples, emblazoning them across T-shirts and luggage and as all-over repeat prints on coats, suits and more.

A backlash is brewing, however, as more luxury shoppers begin to question their sartorial statements and concentrate on conscious consumerism. With a focus on quality, they are embracing a new kind of product: the premium no-logo, direct-from-factory purchase.

Victoria Buchanan, senior strategic researcher at the Future Laboratory, said: “People are demanding transparency and authenticity which means brands can’t rely on heritage and logos alone. This means that the days of heavy markups could be over as more shoppers are putting an emphasis on value. The challenge for brands is finding ways to deliver value in new ways to a consumer who is becoming increasingly cynical.”

Recent scandals involving an alleged racist advertisement for Dolce & Gabbana, and alleged profiteering from purported philanthropy by Balenciaga with their World Food Programme collection, has increased mistrust in luxury labels, making allegiances to brands questionable for shoppers with a conscience. Cohn & Wolfe Research found that just 23% of consumers in the US believe that “brands are open and honest”, and that number dips to just 7% in western Europe.

Banking on the premise that we are tiring of paying exorbitant prices to bag a designer accessory, – “on a Gucci bag the markup is [eight times] the factory cost” – Jeremy Cai has launched Italic, an online members’ club, selling unbranded handbags, sunglasses, leatherwear, cashmere and homewares direct from factories verified as manufacturers for the likes of Prada, Burberry and Givenchy, at a fraction of their designer-branded equivalent.

FacebookTwitterPinterest
Marcia Kilgore: ‘Consumers have been hoodwinked. Beauty Pie sells £100 cream for the £10 it costs straight from the factory.’ Photograph: Phil Fisk for the Observer
“Traditionally, you’d be in an Italian boutique and the staff would whisper that a bag had been made in the same factory as one of the big luxury labels, or that a pair of shoes were manufactured by the same people that make for Christian Louboutin,” explained Cai from his LA office, where he has a waiting list of over 100,000 people keen to pay $10 a month to access what he calls premium products with “value pride”.

The launch products include an anonymous collection of Ariane leather tote bags at $150 apiece, made by a handbag maker who has worked with French luxury label Celine, where prices are well into four figures for a similar accessory. There are also quilted bags from the same production lines used by Givenchy, cashmere scarves from factories used by Burberry, and luxurious cotton sateen bedsheets as made for Ritz-Carlton and Four Seasons hotels.

“Most of the European factories make for a number of high-end labels,” explains Cai. “We do extensive screening and verify the credentials of the factories: for every one we bring on board, we have seen around 25 more. They sell original designs through us: these are not versions of items they are making for brands.”

It is a concept that has already proved successful for Marcia Kilgore, founder of Bliss Spas, FitFlop, Soap & Glory and now Beauty Pie, which sells high-end cosmetics and skincare, produced at the same laboratories as those used by luxury brands sold in department store beauty halls.

Customers who subscribe to Kilgore’s online club, launched two years ago, get access to high-quality products at cost price. “Traditionally, a consumer needs to spend £100 on a cream for a brand to make £10 profit, when you factor in all the layers of marketing, distribution and retailer margins,” says Kilgore. “Women have been brainwashed: they’ve been hoodwinked for so long. But consumers are asking questions. There is definitely a woman that doesn’t buy into it anymore. I don’t feel I need to buy a certain brand to feel more validated or have that social proof. Beauty Pie is selling that £100 cream for the £10 it costs from the factory, and we make our money from your monthly member fees, which start at £5. We are completely transparent and, because the products deliver, women love it.”

As Buchanan highlights, “debranding only makes sense when it’s designed with a clear purpose and a commitment to saving customers time and money”, but with purse-strings tightening and more of us becoming aware of corporate greed, the rise of the no-logo, direct-from-factory business model might just become a thing.

Last edited:
Sort of. It wasn’t the point I was attempting to make or topic for fun discussion. My interest was more relating to a shift in consumer focus from logos to quality, and how those 2 things these days are separate and apart. “Luxury” doesn’t necessarily equate to quality. It used to. They were inextricably tied. Now, quality is prioritized behind “prestige” and marketing, and “be like me” instaspammers. So if consumers move back to a quality-minded focus, how does that impact logo-heavy designer houses?

Are consumers starting to “wake up” to realize that the 8-10x markup isn’t offering any value other than brand association?

Other interesting reads:
https://www.luxurysociety.com/en/articles/2017/01/post-luxury-consumer/

https://tylerdanielblack.wordpress....longed-to-the-exclusive-social-circle-popula/

Last edited:
Reactions: March786
. My interest was more relating to a shift in consumer focus from logos to quality, and how those 2 things these days are separate and apart. So if consumers move back to a quality-minded focus, how does that impact logo-heavy designer houses?

Are consumers starting to “wake up” to realize that the 8-10x markup isn’t offering any value other than brand association?

This approach of companies trying to steal thunder from the luxe brands is itself, of course, a marketing ploy in a sea of marketing ploys. It's close to the concept of production for outlet stores, and for High Street/fast fashion: the price tag buys the look but generally not the same premium materials and certainly minus the luxury marketing budget. There have long been shoppers for this stuff, but does it really cut into the premium brands' bottom line? Here's where data come in, more so than anecdotes about trends.

The luxury houses are doing very well, a trend boosted by the entrance of whole new sectors of buyers from rising economies.

Obviously we all wish for cost to translate into pure, unambiguous high quality. It does sometimes, and then it doesn't. This is a truth for far more than handbags, naturally. Expensive machines still suck, often.

Last edited:
Reactions: leechiyong
Very simply. I would be estatic to get like kind and quality “unbranded” items in categories like perfume, cosmetics, home decor, etc. I’d even be happy to do so with cars and shoes (as long as I don’t have to sacrifice style by getting something well made but, fairly plain like many quality / not big brand handbag offerings seem to be)

But, when it come to my handbags, It’s a dead no. I want the exact style, materials, etc. that I want. I don’t want... something else. Also, I will fully admit that I love participating in the ethos of certain brands (Dior... happy sigh! :love: ) I greatly prefer not to have any logo on my bag so, it’s not about impressing others. For this category, it’s about spoiling myself.

I wish I could find a place that sells handbags and clothing etc.. with super high quality classy style without the logo markup but I’ve tried to find and while the quality isn’t like BAD it’s a lot of times not amazing either.. it’s like trying to find a birkin like (not necessarily a copy of the design)bag without the Hermès name but same quality it’s impossible I feel :sad:

This isn't as perfect of a situation as it may seem. In many of these cases the employees 'hijack' the factory after hours and make bootleg products using the company's IP and materials. You can argue the low wages make this kind of thing inevitable, but there it is.

I feel like the situation is to find small businesses that make a quality product and support them, and if that means paying more so they can be sustainable, so be it.

Very simply. I would be estatic to get like kind and quality “unbranded” items in categories like perfume, cosmetics, home decor, etc. I’d even be happy to do so with cars and shoes (as long as I don’t have to sacrifice style by getting something well made but, fairly plain like many quality / not big brand handbag offerings seem to be)

But, when it come to my handbags, It’s a dead no. I want the exasct style, materials, etc. that I want. I don’t want... something else. Also, I will fully admit that I love participating in the ethos of certain brands (Dior... happy sigh! :love: ) I greatly prefer not to have any logo on my bag so, it’s not about impressing others. For this category, it’s about spoiling myself.

M.gemi is doing the italian made designer shoes without the markup thing. I have several pairs now, they are nicely made and well priced. Get on their mailing list - they have weekly drops. They aim for classic with a splash of trendy thrown in.