Buying a used Cartier - taking to store?

OneCluelessBuyer

Aug 19, 2020
Hey!

Just wondering if I were to buy a Cartier bracelet from someone second hand with the certificate also given to me...
If I were to go into a Cartier store say for a clean or any other service, would I be able to get this done?
Or will they refuse as im not the 'original' owner?

i'm guessing they will check the serial number on the system first and the original buyers information will come up, i.e name, gender, age and if it doesn't match my age or gender they'll refuse the service?

Anyone have any idea how it works?

And also if I were to take the certificate to the store with the bracelet can they say whether its authentic?

Last edited:
I have a Cartier watch second hand, not purchased but rather handed down from my mother in law. I've taken it to Cartier for service and strap replacement several times now and I've never been refused service. I wonder if that depends on the boutique. The watch is circa late 1980's.

My original Love bracelet was purchased back in 2008 from eBay pre-owned, and even though I never took it to Cartier (we actually had boutiques back then in Denver and Aspen), I was told that it wouldn't be a problem to bring in for repairs/service, etc. I had the CoA as well, so I wasn't concerned about authenticity. You shouldn't have any problems at all.

I have two Cartier watches that I bought many years ago on eBay and I’ve had them both serviced at Cartier, as recently as 2021. I can’t imagine you’d have a problem if the watch is authentic.

I purchased my first love bracelet second hand, and I’ve had no issues taking it into
Cartier for a polish etc. They were happy to offer the upgrade screw system on this bracelet too. I believe the only run the serial numbers etc to ensure authenticity.

Yes! At my store, the SAs are amazing. I think it depends on your location and the SAs, to be honest. I was at one location in Toronto (Yorkdale) and the SA was a complete pill and very unhelpful. Went to the other location (Bloor) and met two of the loveliest SAs ever. My SAs at the new location actually tell me if my pre-loved pieces are authentic or not. SA-Pill was rude and unhelpful…she has lost lots of business as a result! If you ever encounter a rude SA, just find another one. Good luck!

I needed a necklace repair recently (April 2023) and they wanted a copy of the certificate and the clear visible code on the paperwork before they worked on it. It was being shipped to the NYC location. I was glad I had the original documents.

• Insightful
Reactions: papertiger