Which SUV

• Mercedes Benz ML350

• Acura MDX

• Lexus RX350

• Something Else

Results are only viewable after voting.
Jan 25, 2009
Hey TPF

What kind of car do you suggest I drive w. LV in the passenger seat?

I currently own a Lexus ES and is looking for a SUV. First I was thinking Acura MDX, but then I went and looked at the Mercedes Benz ML350 which cost a lil more. Lastly, my other thought would be a Lexus RX350.

Which ever vehicle I get it will be CPO because I live in NYC and I'm in the process of saving to move.

Yes staying with my old car would be feasible on saving, but that option is running out.

Hey TPF

What kind of car do you suggest I purchase?

I currently own a Lexus ES and is looking for a SUV. First I was thinking Acura MDX, but then I went and looked at the Mercedes Benz ML350 which cost a lil more. Lastly, my other thought would be a Lexus RX350.

Which ever vehicle I get it will be CPO because I live in NYC and I'm in the process of saving to move.

Yes staying with my old car would be feasible on saving, but that option is running out.

I finally got rid of my BMW X5 in November. I hated that car from the minute DH got it and then stuck me with it when I began working closer to home. The last straw came when the fuel pump went, which is a known issue and only 3 series and below were recalled. They actually covered the repair as an "extended warranty" issues but that was really because we pitched a major fit. We were so lucky we did not get seriously injured.

I test drove everything because it was going to be my choice. 2016 Lexus RX is sweet but inventory was very limited last year - and I prefer a bit more torque and HP. Lexus has really upped horsepower but not enough torque. I tried Mercedes but I hated the gear shift on the fly - I but it in neutral going gown a hill because it's exactly where the windshield wipers are and I knew that was disaster in the making. The ML was amazing though, definitely more luxurious the GL though it seems the 2016 replacement of the entry level SUV is getting a major overhaul in that department. I haven't driven a car with a shift on the fly in nearly 2 decades so I knew it was not for me .

It really came down to the Audi Q5 and the Acura MDX/RDX. The MDX has a push button shift right next to the cup holders so I imagined many disasters as I spill things and have a dog. The RDX was the better fit for a child free couple, but it was not as luxurious as the other vehicles. And my heart just really wanted the Audi. It a great small SUV - Quattro blows Xdrive away, sport package is great, quick and nimble, standard Bang & Olufsen sound system, google earth Nav, wifi, great warranty.

You have to go with what makes you happy - it's your car - test drive them all! It's fun and then you never second guess yourself.

The ML is definitely not more luxurious than the GL. The newly designed ML is now a GLE and it's awesome, but still not as luxurious as the GL.
I have owned both :smile:
I currently own the GL and my service guy gives me the GLE anytime I need to come in so I am super familiar with both.

I finally got rid of my BMW X5 in November. I hated that car from the minute DH got it and then stuck me with it when I began working closer to home. The last straw came when the fuel pump went, which is a known issue and only 3 series and below were recalled. They actually covered the repair as an "extended warranty" issues but that was really because we pitched a major fit. We were so lucky we did not get seriously injured.

I test drove everything because it was going to be my choice. 2016 Lexus RX is sweet but inventory was very limited last year - and I prefer a bit more torque and HP. Lexus has really upped horsepower but not enough torque. I tried Mercedes but I hated the gear shift on the fly - I but it in neutral going gown a hill because it's exactly where the windshield wipers are and I knew that was disaster in the making. The ML was amazing though, definitely more luxurious the GL though it seems the 2016 replacement of the entry level SUV is getting a major overhaul in that department. I haven't driven a car with a shift on the fly in nearly 2 decades so I knew it was not for me .

It really came down to the Audi Q5 and the Acura MDX/RDX. The MDX has a push button shift right next to the cup holders so I imagined many disasters as I spill things and have a dog. The RDX was the better fit for a child free couple, but it was not as luxurious as the other vehicles. And my heart just really wanted the Audi. It a great small SUV - Quattro blows Xdrive away, sport package is great, quick and nimble, standard Bang & Olufsen sound system, google earth Nav, wifi, great warranty.

You have to go with what makes you happy - it's your car - test drive them all! It's fun and then you never second guess yourself.

What does torque do for a car? TIA

What does torque do for a car? TIA

The physics is hard to explain and I don't completely understand it - has to with the number rotations while horsepower is the amount of work (number of horses) if the engine. So torque is what lets you go immediately fast versus horsepower with is more about top speed. (0-60 speeds have to do with torque more than horsepower) any car can hit 60 miles per hour - it's how quickly the car can achieve that speed. You can have a car with a lot of hp but little torque so it's really not fun to drive. The best comparison is when you sit at light and you can smoke the car next to you. Eventually they will catch up to you as most cars have enough HP to get up to an allowable (legal) speed for driving.