Buying a Pre-loved LV ? regrets?

reactorberg

Jul 13, 2014
For the ones who did it, do you have any regrets?
Is saving 250 USD worth it?
I think it is better to buy a new pochette.
Pre loved is maybe applicable for LEs and vintage bags, I guess.

Thoughts?
HIope you can share your regrets here for bought pre-loved items, if any

Thanks

I some criteria when it comes to pre-loved.

1. It has to be in excellent condition!
2. From wherever I'm buying, a return policy- no questions asked. (Incase of problems not described, smells, scratches etc...)
3. It has to be a BIG difference between buying new vs. Preloved. (Unless its a LE piece no longer made, like my Speedy Mono Cerises... I still got a steal though!)

I have a couple preloved pieces. I made a rookie mistake in the beginning and bought a speedy from Ebay and it was completely fake when I received it. Luckily I got my $ back. On the plus side I got a excellent condition Speedy B Encre for 50% what they were selling on the LV site.

I think there is risk in getting preloved, but so far I haven't had any major regrets! :smile:

Reactions: reactorberg
I always look at the percentage I would be saving in comparison to the retail price. For instance, if I was only saving $250 on something like an Empreinte Speedy, which retails for around $3k, I would rather purchase new. But if I'm saving $250 on a Pochette NM, which retails for I think $500? I would go for it as long as it was in good enough condition for the price since I would be saving 50%.

For the ones who did it, do you have any regrets?
Is saving 250 USD worth it?
I think it is better to buy a new pochette.
Pre loved is maybe applicable for LEs and vintage bags, I guess.

Thoughts?
HIope you can share your regrets here for bought pre-loved items, if any

Thanks
I'd say about half my collection is pre-loved and in excellent condition/like new.
Like all of us, I'm sure there are a ton of people with buyer's remorse and have passed the time frame to return so selling it is the next best thing. There are tons of bags people don't ever use so they're still in like new condition. I've saved hundreds off retail and have gotten some LE as well.
There are some who are against it. Personal choice doesn't mean it's right for every one and every one has different standards on buying pre-loved.

Never bought preloved LVs, but a few other brands bags, I ended up selling them 2-3 months later. I rather buy new, I've tried, and now I know it.

Happiness is not about how much you have, but how little you need.

I'm thinking of getting a preloved Louis Vuitton but the price difference between preloved and new isn't that big and I am so worried about all the fakes out there!

The thing I do like about preloved is that I don't panic so much if the bag gets a tiny mark on it.

I'm thinking of getting a preloved Louis Vuitton but the price difference between preloved and new isn't that big and I am so worried about all the fakes out there!

The thing I do like about preloved is that I don't panic so much if the bag gets a tiny mark on it.

Hehehhe. You're right - you won't even care if it get hit by the door, and can put anything inside without thinking

Fakes are really a nightmare.
It's eating a lot of my time to do researching.

Never bought preloved LVs, but a few other brands bags, I ended up selling them 2-3 months later. I rather buy new, I've tried, and now I know it.

That's a good share of experience! You tried but not the same as getting a new one-- opening the box, smelling the leather
(Some leather)!, picking it up from the boutique. Whooh the glow on your face as soon as you knew it's yours finally. That's the price we have to pay.

I some criteria when it comes to pre-loved.

1. It has to be in excellent condition!
2. From wherever I'm buying, a return policy- no questions asked. (Incase of problems not described, smells, scratches etc...)
3. It has to be a BIG difference between buying new vs. Preloved. (Unless its a LE piece no longer made, like my Speedy Mono Cerises... I still got a steal though!)

I have a couple preloved pieces. I made a rookie mistake in the beginning and bought a speedy from Ebay and it was completely fake when I received it. Luckily I got my $ back. On the plus side I got a excellent condition Speedy B Encre for 50% what they were selling on the LV site.

I think there is risk in getting preloved, but so far I haven't had any major regrets! :smile:

I love risks. No risk, no fun.
And you really have to have a long patience. 😊

How long does it take you to browse for an item ? Do you go bidding? Buy it now?
Have you won something via bidding ?

I always look at the percentage I would be saving in comparison to the retail price. For instance, if I was only saving $250 on something like an Empreinte Speedy, which retails for around $3k, I would rather purchase new. But if I'm saving $250 on a Pochette NM, which retails for I think $500? I would go for it as long as it was in good enough condition for the price since I would be saving 50%.

Very good point there about percentage wise deciding factor. I'll take note of that.
It's also nice to experience buying something for a lot less. Now I'm excited maybe I'll hit the buy it now button. Thank you!

That's a good share of experience! You tried but not the same as getting a new one-- opening the box, smelling the leather
(Some leather)!, picking it up from the boutique. Whooh the glow on your face as soon as you knew it's yours finally. That's the price we have to pay.

Yes, exactly! The only reason why I bought preloved items is because of the price difference. I bought two Balenciaga bags in May this year for about 65% of their original retail price, (when comparing to current price is like 50%).

(Big) BUT, NOTHING beats how new bags make you feel: the excitement you get when you untie the bow, the knowing that your bag was touched for the first time (like a virgin ♪♪~), not to mention the "commitment" you made to the bag that you are going to love her and take care of her for a long long time. You simply don't get the feeling when you buy a preloved bag or as much. And to me that's the whole point of owning a luxury item, they are different, they are not supposed to be treated badly, their main function should be making the owner happy and be an eye candy.

So I ended up selling the only two preloved bags I got, one of them is hard to find, so the demand for that bag is very high, I had no trouble selling it, I missed it dearly, but the only regret I have is why I didn't buy it when it first came out, I don't regret selling it at all.

If I were only saving $250 on a handbag I'd rather buy new. But on most of my preloved purchases I saved between $500-$1500 and they were in pretty good condition. And I agree about SLGs I'd rather buy new due to the minimal savings and those are handled much more than bags. No regrets thus far!

Reactions: reactorberg
In my opinion, and like some other posters mentioned, you have to be hyper-vigilant if you are buying pre-loved.

In my experience, I purchased one item from eBay (attached picture) which I absolutley fell in love with and is no longer available. When it came, it was in better condition than described and I had a very easy transaction with the seller.

Having said that, being impressed with the transaction above, I also purchased (from a different seller) a pre-loved Monogram Agenda PM and when it came it was old and the canvas smelled. I posted it on the authentication thread here and the mods felt it was real. I think it was too but the fact it was 10 years old (although in great condition) and that it smelled old really bothered me.

I ended up returning it (return shipping was $85 CAD) and bought a brand new one in LV which I love, which is what I should have done in the first place (and I wouldn't be out an additional $85!). After this experience, I won't be purchasing pre-loved again. :shucks:

Attachments

• 2-11781-209167--louis-vuitton-pink-vernis-double-strap-leather-bracelet----5.jpg
    2-11781-209167--louis-vuitton-pink-vernis-double-strap-leather-bracelet----5.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 1,120