Buying a LE Cartier- investment or no?

stylefly

Shopportunist
O.G.
Apr 22, 2006
So I know all about the investment bag...what are your thoughts on the investment watch?
There's a Roadster model put out by Cartier that apparently only saw 2500 pieces produced. It's also totally my style. Is this something I could buy and hang onto and possibly resell down the line for even a small profit (I tend to get tired of my watches and trade them in anyway, would be nice not to take a loss every time) or is it just not a viable idea? Of course, I would enjoy wearing it for a few years, but it would be nice to know my money is tied up in something that would hold its value better than other watches.
This is the watch BTW:

Attachments

• e27a_2.jpg
    e27a_2.jpg
    6.2 KB · Views: 141
Hi there,
The watch is gorgeous, but Cartier watches do not hold their value as well as other high-end watches like Rolex, Patek, Breguet etc. do, as Cartier does NOT make their own movements. If you look at the re-sale value of Cartier watches - even for those that are limited - the pieces don't usually appreciate. If you are totally in love with it, you should get it, but if you're looking for an investment, perhaps maybe pass this time :smile: I hope this helped!

Cheers.

Agree with ChristieCartier. Save your money and don't buy this.

Another POV. Think "Buy low, sell high". You're not likely to get ahead if you pay retail. Retail means someone is making a profit off of YOU. You're helping "their investment" pay off! You need to be paying wholesale pricing for "investments". So paying retail for an "investment" watch, no matter how limited, is either very risky or not a good move at all. This applies to all kinds of investments, IMHO. It's how we make Money in real estate.

Agree with ChristieCartier. Save your money and don't buy this.

Another POV. Think "Buy low, sell high". You're not likely to get ahead if you pay retail. Retail means someone is making a profit off of YOU. You're helping "their investment" pay off! You need to be paying wholesale pricing for "investments". So paying retail for an "investment" watch, no matter how limited, is either very risky or not a good move at all. This applies to all kinds of investments, IMHO. It's how we make Money in real estate.
More good advice!
I would be buying it at a significant discount off retail, though I've decided to pass on it :yes:

Okay I'm going to disagree here: Cartier DOES hold it's value, I had purchased Cartier watches for so many years that when I purchased my tank in 2004 for $2400 and now in 2008 the same watch is worth $3600!, Cartier watches only increase in value, never go on sale and it's one of the most conveted watch name same as Rolex, to me when you own a Cartier or Rolex watch it means you have arrived to your goal in life. Just my opinion.

Oh, I just wanted to give you a link so you can get an idea of the the re-sale value of preowned Cartiers etc. http://www.demesy.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=JDFW&Category_Code=BR5L

The company is reputable, so it will give you a good idea about pricing etc.

Good luck! :tup:
Thank you.. but I will never buy a Cartier on the resale market, old/vintage or used, so my opinion is based on keeping it for yourself, the only thing that you can actually make a true investemt is owning property at least it is here in California.

This is only from my experience, but I just recently sold my Cartier Roadster watch that I received as a Xmas gift last year. It was bought wholesale at $3600.00 and the best price I got was $2300.00 on eBay. Personally, I don't believe my Cartier held it's value (loss of $1,300.00 in a little over a year). :crybaby:

This is only from my experience, but I just recently sold my Cartier Roadster watch that I received as a Xmas gift last year. It was bought wholesale at $3600.00 and the best price I got was $2300.00 on eBay. Personally, I don't believe my Cartier held it's value (loss of $1,300.00 in a little over a year). :crybaby:
That's so sad, I would had kept it:sad:, but selling on ebay is always a lose/lose situation IMO(I know I'm also an ebay member for over 8 years)

But like mentioned in my previous post, the only true investment is real estate. handbags, fine jewelry, cars etc..will always loose some kind of value, and should not been consider "investment" , but only things that we love to own and should be for our pleasure of having them, and not "investments".

Thank you.. but I will never buy a Cartier on the resale market, old/vintage or used, so my opinion is based on keeping it for yourself, the only thing that you can actually make a true investemt is owning property at least it is here in California.

I meant to give the "demesy" web site to "Stylefly". I agree about the property thing ! :smile:

OK, I feel compelled to chime in ...

That's so sad, I would had kept it:sad:, but selling on ebay is always a lose/lose situation IMO(I know I'm also an ebay member for over 8 years)

?????? There are plenty of successful sellers on eBay who are making a very nice living.

But like mentioned in my previous post, the only true investment is real estate. handbags, fine jewelry, cars etc..will always loose some kind of value, and should not been consider "investment" , but only things that we love to own and should be for our pleasure of having them, and not "investments".

I think you are speaking to the "consumer" when you write this because the last part about loving and taking pleasure in what you have, is totally true.

However, savvy "investors" can make money on these items. How do resellers/resale shops stay in business (hint: buy low/sell high)? And I would have to challenge your assertion that real estate "is the only true investment" as the market is debunking your theory right now.

Bottom line: All investing is a big gamble. There are no guarantees. But there are smart risks that one can make when they are prepared if it fails (like holding onto something rather than taking a loss in the market).

OK, I feel compelled to chime in ...

?????? There are plenty of successful sellers on eBay who are making a very nice living.

I think you are speaking to the "consumer" when you write this because the last part about loving and taking pleasure in what you have, is totally true.

However, savvy "investors" can make money on these items. How do resellers/resale shops stay in business (hint: buy low/sell high)? And I would have to challenge your assertion that real estate "is the only true investment" as the market is debunking your theory right now.

Bottom line: All investing is a big gamble. There are no guarantees. But there are smart risks that one can make when they are prepared if it fails (like holding onto something rather than taking a loss in the market).

True, I was only ref.to the "consumer", as you can not always have the mentality to buy something today w/ the notion that uhmmm:confused1: I will sell it tomorrow??, buy something because you love it and will enjoy it and perhaps pass it down to your kids or maybe sell it when you're tired of it, but always noted that you'll prob. not going to get the same $$ as for what you orig. paid for (it's sad but true), and about "real estate theory", I was only refering to ORANGE COUNTY California (where I live) our Real Estate market has not declined at all versus other part of the country, as I can't speak about your town.

i don't think of a watch or any jewelry as an investment...you will rarely get your money back, even after several years...there are exceptions of course. some watches hold their value better than others, and i guess if you had purchased gold jewelry cheaply a few years ago, the scrap price alone would pay you back.

if you are really investing, put your money into a mutual fund, cd, or a home (preferably one that has dropped quite a bit in value lately...may be room for appreciation in the long term, but wouldn't expect anything for a while)

Just to clarify, I am not looking at it as an "investment"-investment like my stocks or our property. I am thinking more of a soft investment such a buying a limited edition style or colour of a bag and then reselling it a few years later when demand is higher. I just know for sure that I will want a new style of watch and I prefer that I wouldn't be losing half of the value on resale, so I guess my question is really whether the fact that it's a limited edition piece would prevent or help to minimize the kind of depreciation that I know is unavoidable with these things.
But it's a fascinating discussion that this has turned into- please carry on! I am learning something new every post:tup: