Buyers who insist upon the receipt......really?

DD101

O.G.
Aug 29, 2007
I'm hoping others can share their experience with this. Sorry this is long :reading:, but I feel I have to include all the pertinent info.

I am an occasional seller, and sell from my own closet. All my items are 100% authentic, 99.9% of my bags have come from the boutiques themselves. And I usually do have the receipt (unless I have misplaced it or discarded it).

However, when I sell a bag now, I get soooo many emails from prospective buyers demanding the receipt (a copy of it). I always refuse, because many times I have multiple sales on the receipt and it's no one's business what I am spending/buying. Also, the receipt has all my personal info on it, now I realize I could blank that out, but I'd also have to blank out the other purchases, and my customer number (this appears on LV's receipts). I feel like after blanking out all that stuff, the receipt will look like a mess.

And also, I worry that the date on the copy of the receipt...if they took it into the store, the store could look the date of purchase up and figure out who was the original buyer. I don't want the stores to think I am a professional reseller and then refuse to sell to me in the future. I have good relationships with my SA's and do not want to jeopardize that.

I try to tell any prospective buyers that a receipt does not make an item authentic (as some people print up fake receipts and sell them) and that I do not feel comfortable sharing it (all my personal info...), and I always advise them to get any bag they buy (from me or anyone else) authenticated on tPF. I have guided many people here...happily.

But now I am wondering if I should include a copy of the receipt. There are just so many buyers who seem to want this. The few bags I have purchased off ebay, I never asked for a receipt, nor do I want or need one. I always get a second opinion from the people in the auth forums before I buy anything.

So tell me.....should I be including a copy of the receipt now with ebay sales?

How do you feel about this?

I have only been asked twice, the first time blanked out all info and sent a copy. Second time, couldn't find the receipt and told the person that.

I don't normally and don't like to do it. I say no.

I think it is your personal decision. You gave very valid reasons not to give one. Also some people may try to pay an ebay price and try to return it. If you do not want want the receipt and do everything you can to prove authenticity there is not much else you can do. You will find a buyer I am sure to be thankful for what they are getting, and hopefully leave you alone.

I have only been asked twice, the first time blanked out all info and sent a copy. Second time, couldn't find the receipt and told the person that.

I don't normally and don't like to do it. I say no.

I get asked all the time now it seems. I have always told them politely, that I do not make copies of the receipt, and the bag sells so I am happy. But I just can't get over the sheer number of people who want a receipt (copy).

I think it is your personal decision. You gave very valid reasons not to give one. Also some people may try to pay an ebay price and try to return it. If you do not want want the receipt and do everything you can to prove authenticity there is not much else you can do. You will find a buyer I am sure to be thankful for what they are getting, and hopefully leave you alone.

Yeah, all my bags have sold, but some people seem to want to argue over not providing a copy of a receipt (seriously). I was wondering if this is how ebay is now, and if most people do give a copy. I really don't want to....I honestly feel if a receipt is that important to a buyer, they need to buy it at a store that will provide one.

^ agree here. if the item is authentic and you can prove it, there will

always be that person who is going to ruffle your feathers for a copy

of your receipt.. personally, would not do it for the reasons that are

valid for you.. you will find the right buyer for your items that won't

put you through anything that you need not be subjected too...

^ agree here. if the item is authentic and you can prove it, there will

always be that person who is going to ruffle your feathers for a copy

of your receipt.. personally, would not do it for the reasons that are

valid for you.. you will find the right buyer for your items that won't

put you through anything that you need not be subjected too...

That's how I was feeling. I always have the right photos needed for easy authentication. And would always be happy to supply more if asked.

Upon request, I do send a copy of my receipt to the buyer, with my personal information blanked out.

Thanks for your response....I wondered if this was something new on ebay (I have been selling for years and have never been asked for a receipt until recently).

I sold one of my Balenciaga bags a few years ago and included a photocopy of my receipt (with my AmEx info blacked out) to the winner. That's the only time I have ever included a copy of a receipt. I make it clear in all of my auctions that the winner will not be getting one with their purchase. I have found that only a very small number of buyers have asked for one.

And you are right. A receipt can so easily be faked. Therefore, they do not guarantee authenticity of an item.

Some how I ended up w/ a gift receipt for a bag I sold, I didn't have the tags, but the buyer was happy w/ the receipt b/c it also had the matching numbers on it. I know receipts don't prove it's authentic, but honestly neither does having it authenticated, if people are that concerned, they should be buying direct from an authorized retailer (I know, limited edition, discons, no availablitiy, etc) so they know. the origins of the bag.

I did have someone ask for a receipt b/c they wanted to make sure the item was sample sale goods, which I can't blame them b/c w/ some designers sample sales are frequent, and I'd rather not pay first quality prices for sample sale goods. They were satisfied w/ a pdf scan. And I didn't black out my info, b/c it only had my name, and my name they can get from ebay.

I sold one of my Balenciaga bags a few years ago and included a photocopy of my receipt (with my AmEx info blacked out) to the winner. That's the only time I have ever included a copy of a receipt. I make it clear in all of my auctions that the winner will not be getting one with their purchase. I have found that only a very small number of buyers have asked for one.

And you are right. A receipt can so easily be faked. Therefore, they do not guarantee authenticity of an item.

Some buyers seem to feel the presence of a receipt is so very important, that it ma[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]kes the bag real.[/FONT] Than[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ks for sharing your experience.

[/FONT]

Some how I ended up w/ a gift receipt for a bag I sold, I didn't have the tags, but the buyer was happy w/ the receipt b/c it also had the matching numbers on it. I know receipts don't prove it's authentic, but honestly neither does having it authenticated, if people are that concerned, they should be buying direct from an authorized retailer (I know, limited edition, discons, no availablitiy, etc) so they know. the origins of the bag.

I did have someone ask for a receipt b/c they wanted to make sure the item was sample sale goods, which I can't blame them b/c w/ some designers sample sales are frequent, and I'd rather not pay first quality prices for sample sale goods. They were satisfied w/ a pdf scan. And I didn't black out my info, b/c it only had my name, and my name they can get from ebay.

Having a gift receipt is great...wish I had these. In the future when I purchase form the dept. stores I will as[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]k for one. I love this idea. I can understand why someone would as[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]k for a receipt if they feel the item could have come from a sample sale too. Good points.[/FONT]

I can understand why some people may ask for the receipt as I would probably ask for one as well prior to discovering tPF. I think that some people do feel that with a receipt, it makes the item authentic.

Another reason for request of the receipt is that some places/stores may not honor warranties or repair an item without a receipt. There's a thread about NM asking for POP for a repair gone wrong.

I have people asked for a receipt and I usually just blank out my personal info. It is a personal choice to give the buyer your receipt.

My impression is that the bidders who ask for receipt are doing it with an eye on re-selling the item in the future. Not the resellers per se, just the people who kind of want to make sure that they will be able to prove provenance if they have to sell.

I have always crossed out my personal info and passed the receipt on to the next owner.

p-WA

I can understand why some people may ask for the receipt as I would probably ask for one as well prior to discovering tPF. I think that some people do feel that with a receipt, it makes the item authentic.

Another reason for request of the receipt is that some places/stores may not honor warranties or repair an item without a receipt. There's a thread about NM asking for POP for a repair gone wrong.

I have people asked for a receipt and I usually just blank out my personal info. It is a personal choice to give the buyer your receipt.

Mimster, yes, there are 2 threads on that issue with NM and Chanel, I have read and posted in both. I feel for those girls, but Chanel can recognize authentic Chanel (NM would send for repairs to a Chanel authorized repair shop...I believe?), really a receipt shouldn't be needed. I do believe NM is trying to stonewall those 2 girls. But really, would a photo copied one with info crossed out be helpful either? To me that would ma[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]ke it loo[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]k as if you had an ebay or consignment bag, and there is nothing wrong with that at all, but to me, if you show a receipt, it would need to be the original one. But I do get what you mean. I do. And maybe stores/boutiques will change the way they do repairs now...maybe in the future you would have to prove yourself to be the original owner.[/FONT]

My impression is that the bidders who ask for receipt are doing it with an eye on re-selling the item in the future. Not the resellers per se, just the people who kind of want to make sure that they will be able to prove provenance if they have to sell.

I have always crossed out my personal info and passed the receipt on to the next owner.

p-WA

Pipp this has crossed my mind too. Many times I have felt they would resell in their own country (the buyers who contacted me the most about a receipt, I could see English was not their first language, yet they were US based, as I do not sell outside the US), and perhaps in their country the presence of a receipt is very important to the resale.

Many buyers request receipts in order to prove authenticity. Although I'm sure there could be less honest reasons for a buyer to request a receipt, I am going to guess that this is the reason nine times out of ten - or maybe eight ;)

I would suggest perhaps offering a COPY of the original receipt with all of your information blacked out, as suggested above.

this is very true, but it's the buyer's choice to discern that...plus i find i get more for my bags if i provide the receipt. I block out my info, watermark the photo of the receipt and put it in my listing....then i am not getting a million emails asking for it and the winning bidder gets it...unless i have another item on the receipt, which has happened, then they only get a photocopy.....i am meticulous about saving receipts not only becasue they net me more money for my bags but also for insurance were they lost by the post or damaged in transit...i always keep a photo copy of the receipt and a photo of the bag for this purpose...