Buyers who extort

Status
Not open for further replies.

patsyesq

Oct 26, 2009
Has anyone dealt with a buyer who attempts to extort money after you they win or a seller who does this. They say give me a 10% discount for no reason. My friend had this happen to her -- this ebay buyer/seller x does this quite frequently but ebay removes the negative comments. Do you think certain sellers/buyers are given special treatment by ebay. How is this not extortion?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had this happen before from a buyer. Save your emails and forward them to eBay Support immediately. It certainly is extortion, and - whilst I am sad to say that eBay aren't always helpful in regards to it - it is against eBay's policy. Good luck!

Has anyone dealt with a buyer who attempts to extort money after you they win or a seller who does this. They say give me a 10% discount for no reason. My friend had this happen to her -- this ebay buyer/seller x does this quite frequently but ebay removes the negative comments. Do you think certain sellers/buyers are given special treatment by ebay. How is this not extortion?

Does she say; 'Give me a 10% discount, or I'll leave you a neg.'?

Or does she threaten to not complete the transaction without one?

Or does she just ask for a 10% discount with no strings attached (which would be cheeky, but not extortionate)?

Last edited by a moderator:
Does she say; 'Give me a 10% discount, or I'll leave you a neg.'?

Or does she threaten to not complete the transaction without one?

Or does she just ask for a 10% discount with no strings attached (which would be cheeky, but not extortionate)?

I'll find out -all i know is that My friend offered buyer 10.00 to stop negative feedback even though she hadnt doen anything even offered to to cancel the transaction with a full refund but then she demanded 10% off
when my friend didnt comply to latest squeeze tactics B left negative feedback. It was libel but what can she do? she reported to ebay ...but so far they havent done anything. Buyers know they can get away with this now b/c sellers l cant leave negative feedback -my frend is an active tpf'er and says she had 10% feedback and cant believe her feedback is ruined by this!

Sorry that my brain is not working quite well because of the long holiday weekend I had, but may I ask....

Your friend offered $10 to the buyer for not leaving a negative feedback.
Your friend also offered to cancel transaction.
So there are anything went wrong with the transaction?

The buyer accepted $10 and left a negative feedback.
Your friend's feedback is 10% which means 9 out of 10 are negatives?

I just had someone spend $20 on a shirt from my auction and then sent me an email saying that if I don't ship it for free (Even though the auction states clearly $8.00 for shipping), they will leave me a negative.....why I keep doing the Ebay thing is beyond me sometimes.

I just had someone spend $20 on a shirt from my auction and then sent me an email saying that if I don't ship it for free (Even though the auction states clearly $8.00 for shipping), they will leave me a negative.....why I keep doing the Ebay thing is beyond me sometimes.

Unbelievable gall!!! So how are you handling this?

Hi everyone,

I'm blackonmaroon both here on tPF and on eBay, and I'd like to explain my side of the situation.

I recently bought a bag on eBay. The listing described USPS Priority Mail shipping within 1 business day, and it said that the bag was new and never used but had damage to the kisslock hardware. After 1 business day, I contacted the seller to inquire about the shipping. A few days later, the seller explained that I should receive the bag shortly (but did not provide a tracking number or an estimated delivery date). 10 days after I paid, the bag -- which was shipped through UPS Ground -- arrives. There is damage to the hardware as the listing states, but there is also handwriting in the textile lining and the bag cannot close all the way due to a gap in the frame.

I messaged the seller and told her about the problem. I told her that I believed it would be fair for me to receive a partial discount for the not-as-described condition of the bag and to compensate for the expedited shipping expenses that I paid for but did not receive. The seller did not address the condition issue but told me she would try to find out what happened with the shipping.

5 days later, I opened a case with eBay. I wanted to avoid asking for a full refund because I would lose money while shipping the bag back to the seller. The seller offered me a very small sum of money, which I found unfair due to the condition of the bag and how long the shipping took. I asked for a 10% refund instead, but the seller refused.

I cancelled the case and left a negative feedback score for the seller, explaining the situation. In response, the seller left a positive score for me but with a comment saying something like,"BEWARE, buyer extorts 10% fee, THREATS neg if no discount, LIES." She also followed-up my negative score by including my full name, partial address, and "criminal, LIES, EXTORTIONIST." Of course, false positive feedback, including personal information, and inflammatory language are not allowed on eBay, so I had eBay remove these comments.

I would like to make clear that I never, ever said anything like,"If you do not give me a discount, I will leave you negative feedback." My negative feedback was a response to the overall negative experience that I had with this particular seller.

Last edited:
I had a feeling it would turn out to be something like this, not only kuz the opening post was vague at best but also kuz I've had the pleasure to do business with this buyer/seller, and she was nothing short of super considerate and classy.

People really should get a grasp of a situation before posting defamatory information about other people's transactions. JMHO.

Status
Not open for further replies.