Buyer's unconfirmed paypal address, is it safe?

ruby1766

Dec 8, 2009
Hello

I just sold something on ebay for about 100 total shipping included and the winner is located in Canada.

She sent me a message saying that she has an address in USA and I checked her USA address. XXX Please don't post any personal info on a public forum XX and it's Mail Boxes International. I was wondering is it safe to ship to this address?

I'm just kind of scared of all the scams on ebay.

Thanks for any advice!

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this under ebay's Should I ship to an unconfirmed address.

"We recommend against stating in your listing that you'll only ship to confirmed addresses. Since a confirmed address isn't a requirement for PayPal Seller Protection, this is an unnecessary restriction and might discourage a potential buyer."

Does it mean it's okay to ship to unconfirmed address?

I'll ship it with signature confirmation does it protect me from anything?

I actually have 2 auctions ended that are unconfirmed shipping address and the other one that winner has zero feedback and it's over $500 total. I asked the winner to confirmed his address and he said he's a student and don't have a CC to add to paypal thus he can't confirm his address and tells me to just mail it to the address that he wants me to.

even if you ship to an unconfirmed address on the paypal invoice a seller is still eligible for some form of protection, if it states that when you print out your label.

Usually its against paypal policy to send anything to an unconfirmed address, but there are exceptions too. And it depends. I wouldn't recommend it because your not cover by the seller protection.
This isn't correct.

When the buyer makes payment, she must put the shipping address where she wants it shipped in the payment. As long as the details of the payment say "okay to ship," you're protected as long as you ship to that address and d.c. shows delivery.

Not all countries have the option for confirmed addresses, and it's hard to tell when the buyer is from Canada but her address is in the US. Check what it says on the PayPal invoice to make sure you are eligible for full protection.

The transaction page will specify "eligible", "partially eligible" or "ineligible" for seller protection.

The reason so many sellers specify a requirement for a confirmed address is that, if the address is confirmed, it should always come up on the transaction page as "eligible". Unconfirmed addresses are sometimes "eligible" but not always.

If your transaction page specifies "ineligible", you will not have seller protection but you can buy postal insurance. If your buyer has good ebay record of longevity and feedback, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I expect she is using US address to minimize Canadian taxes and duties.

If you don't feel comfortable shipping without seller protection, you can offer to cancel the transaction and refund the buyer the payment.

I thought we weren't supposed to post personal information about people on TPF - like addresses . . . ?

If I was a buyer that purchased something from the OP, whether a confirmed address or not, I don't think I'd be too thrilled about having my address posted on a public forum for thousands of people to read, whether it's a p.o. box or not.

Northerndancer is correct. I sold something on Bonanza to a buyer in Canada with an unconfirmed address. It was not eligible for unauthorized transaction protection.

I took a chance. Not sure if I should have but I did find the person's ID on Facebook. Both the buyer and her spouse and they were listed in Canada. Same with google - found information on the buyer there too.

Sorry, I didn't know I wasn't supposed to post personal information on the forum. I'll remember not to do it next time.

I looked at my transaction detail and it says eligible for seller protection.

I've bought hundreds on things on ebay and for some reason my address was suddenly unconfirmed even though it was before and I've amended nothing. I read that if there are a couple of addresses listed that don't match exactly, it'll do this, even after 10 years. I spent a while changing paypal/ebay addresses to match to the character (like an apostrophe on one, typing out the street instead of abbrieviating on the other, etc). It still shows unconfirmed, although verified, so I just gave up. I wonder if there was some change that caused this. I just won something...I hope they don't have a problem with it.

Last edited: