Buyer's remorse

writtenstars

shopaholic :)
Jun 14, 2009
sighs, i have no luck on ebay selling right now.

I sold a burberry blue label bi fold wallet like a few days ago, here is the original auction:

xxx members may not link to their own auctions

After the auction, the buyer asked me about authenticity and etc, she did not ask any questions prior. I already had a sense that she was going to have buyers remorse.

Alas, my senses were right. She did find things that she did not like.
***********000000]Hi,
I just received the wallet, however, it's not the same colour as the one in the picture. The wallet received is pink in colour not the beige colour shown in the picture.
Also you mentioned that the wallet was taken to the cleaners but it was tremendously yellowing and there is pen stains on it.
I would not have bid that high if I had known the condition of the wallet. I would like a partial refund or at least pay for the fees to take the wallet to the cleaners to get it properly clean.
[/COLOR]

I replied her that i will give her a refund of $10, as i used $10 for giving it to the cleaners. And, as i recall, there were no stains of any sign that were on the wallet( i triple checked it before i sent it off!)I did not notice any yellowing as well.

It is horrible, how they don't ask anything before bidding, and she did bid last minute. I admit that it was my fault not stating the color of the wallet in my description, and i did apologize to her.

now, just have to wait and see if she agrees with the $10 fee for cleaning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, you do appear to be unlucky, don't you? Very unlucky...

To be totally honest, writtenstars, I'm pretty sure I can see some of the yellowing she's talking about on the fabric in the auction pic and who knows what the back looks like? As there's no pic.

If I'm right and there is yellowing (and also, possibly, pen marks), you should have said so, as your description specifically states; 'The wallet has been taken to the cleaners before auctioning, so no dirt marks on the fabric.', so of course the buyer will be disappointed.

It also looks cream, or light beige, in the pics, to me (not even slightly pink) - so if it is pink, you are absolutely right, you really should have said so in your description (and ideally, should have taken more pics showing it in its actual colour).

I notice you also omitted to select a colour/colour family from the flip down menu.

Please can I ask why?

I don't know what the going rate is for these wallets in poor condition (assuming the buyer is right about the yellowing and/or pen marks), but if you are going to partially refund her, rather than offer her a full refund, you really need to ensure that she has paid the going rate (check some completed listings) for a wallet of its actual colour and in its actual condition (and I presume you know what that is); rather than just refunding for dry cleaning.

However, if you really do think it's just buyer's remorse and she's lying/exaggerating wildly, you really should refund her in full (including shipping fee) and then relist it, honestly, with as much info as possible.

BTW, buyers are under no obligation, whatsoever, to ask questions at all (before, or after, auction end), if they don't want to.

You, the seller, must describe things accurately and in full, rather than expecting buyers to play; 'Guess the right questions to ask!'! :yes: :lol:

Last edited:
it looks beige to me too, the buyer's email doesn't sound like it's a case of remorse either.. i really think a refund is in order and i also don't think that a wallet that's only been used for 3 months would have needed to go to the cleaners and have scratches on it .. maybe it's just me

Last edited:
is it really yellowing or shadows? i don't really pity myself for it this time. I am bad at photography, and in listings i usually leave out stuff.(by accident!)
she wants a partial refund, i think she wants to keep it though. She likes it but not really wanting to pay that much? I wouldn't say that it is in a bad condition, the only bad thing is some worn on the leather trims. It certainly does not have any pen marks on it, i am pretty sure of that.
She hasn't replied to my msgs yet, so will have to wait and see how it goes.

Last edited:
ladyisobel: it went to the cleaners as there was a mark under the flap which i dared not to remove by myself. I think it was something like ketchup.

You should really see my new MJ ZC, used only like 2 week, has scratches all over the back already. I'm not really good in handling my own stuff :nogood::sweatdrop: esp. with nails that i have.

chloe: still under the progress of learning how to sell..

sighs, if i didn't have to fund my obsession for stuff, then i wouldn't have had to sell everything that is useless to me. i have too much junk.

is it really yellowing or shadows?

I, obviously, don't know for sure - it looks like yellowing, to me, as shadows are normally darker and more neutral coloured (although, I agree they can sometimes be a little yellow-looking).

I assume, if it does have yellowing, that the buyer thought, before she received it, it was just shadows, though?

i don't really pity myself for it this time. I am bad at photography, and in listings i usually leave out stuff.(by accident!)
she wants a partial refund, i think she wants to keep it though. She likes it but not really wanting to pay that much?

Well, whether you partially refund her, or not, is entirely up to you, writtenstars.

If you don't want to, you don't have to. :nogood:

But, if you don't and if there is any chance, at all, that there is any yellowing and/or marks, however slight, you will have to fully refund her. :yes:

Even if there isn't, she is, almost certainly, entitled to a refund on colour alone.

I wouldn't say that it is in a bad condition, the only bad thing is some worn on the leather trims. It certainly does not have any pen marks on it, i am pretty sure of that.

Well then, if that is the case, perhaps you should refuse a partial refund and insist that she return it for a full refund?

You shouldn't feel you have to partially refund, if the only mistake you made was to not state the colour, or photograph it accurately.

Although, if you would prefer to, rather than going through the hassle of a return and relist, then that's obviously up to you.

chloe: still under the progress of learning how to sell..

sighs, if i didn't have to fund my obsession for stuff, then i wouldn't have had to sell everything that is useless to me. i have too much junk.

Yes, me too. :yes:

I just seem to keep most of it, though - I'm going to be one of those old ladies who they find buried under it all, at this rate! :sweatdrop:

chloe: hm.. because she assumed that it was a beige, and she can file a SNAD? this is just a point of discussion, and i admit that i was careless. maybe i'm an easy going person, and unless there is something very wrong, i haven't done a SNAD on anything before.

photography can be deceiving, i had my desk lamp on the wallet when i had it photographed, and the lamp was a warm yellowish color( the warm white color you get when choosing a bulb?) so can be yellowish, but i honestly didn't see any yellowing in the real thing.

chloe: hm.. because she assumed that it was a beige, and she can file a SNAD? this is just a point of discussion, and i admit that i was careless. maybe i'm an easy going person, and unless there is something very wrong, i haven't done a SNAD on anything before.

But she didn't just assume it was beige, did she? It was beige (or cream) in the photos and she had nothing to tell her otherwise.

Anyone would have assumed it was the colour it appeared to be; I certainly would have, anyway. Wouldn't you?

It's not as though it just looked a shade, or two, darker or lighter; it looked a completely different colour.

If you photograph something and it appears to be a different colour in those photos, you must clarify what colour it actually is in your auction description.

Otherwise, sellers would be free to intentionally photoshop undesirable colours, to create more desirable ones and then sell them for more, all day long.

photography can be deceiving, i had my desk lamp on the wallet when i had it photographed, and the lamp was a warm yellowish color( the warm white color you get when choosing a bulb?) so can be yellowish, but i honestly didn't see any yellowing in the real thing.

You know, it just occurred to me that yellow light can disguise yellowing - do you think that's what happened?

Last edited:
writtenstars... you should always list an items color in the description simply because computer monitors vary so in color settings and capability. Never count on a buyer being able to discern color from photos on a computer screen.