Buyer won SNAD case PayPal, returned....Seller Refused Package

burberryprncess

Sophie ^o^
O.G.
Feb 13, 2007
I have a question. My client received a Chanel bag that was grossly SNAD. I wrote her a letter for SNAD and PayPal sided with her and instructed her to return the bag with tracking system, fully insured for the price she paid, and with signature confirmation. Upon delivery, the Seller refused to accept the package and it is now on its way back to my client. PayPal told her that if the package is lost, the SNAD case is closed in favor of the Seller. The tracking number is only one way to the Seller, although it stays with the package but is no longer a trackable item for return (this is the UK). She hates to have to file a claim through the post office and the Seller gets her money. If the package safely arrives back to her, would PayPal refund her the full amount? My client is furious at the moment and hopefully to get her an answer. PayPal is not being helpful at the moment.

Last edited:
Sophie,

I believe if she inputs the delivery confirm # or tracking number into the paypal dispute center (or via telephone call). Paypal then can see it was delivered AND refused by the seller. The seller loses in that situation, as Paypal will automatically find against them and refund to buyer. Not very smart of the seller... I will PM you the ebay site where this is discussed.

Thank you Melissa! I will forward that link to her. Maybe she needs to talk to another PP rep since the seller did refused to sign for the rejection. Personally, I think PP should refund once the package is refused.

Thanks Sophie for starting this thread on my behalf.

I'm the unfortunate buyer of the bag. I have already provided the Proof of Shipping receipt to paypal, they said that because the seller has rejected the package without a signature they need on-line confirmation that the bag has been returned to me(!) before they would contemplate refunding due to the high cost of the item (700GBP).

Return items from the post office can take a long time to receive and I'm worried that the dispute will be closed in favor of the seller before the item is received.

The bag was returned to the seller yesterday and she rejected the package today.

The Royal Mail website currently shows:

"A delivery was attempted for your item with reference SCXXXXXXXXXGB in TENTERDEN before 13:54 on 25/11/10. Your item is now being returned to sender. "

I paid via paypal by credit card and spoke to Visa and enquired about the possibility of a chargeback if paypal closes the dispute in favor of the seller, they couldn't help and said that my contract is with Paypal and not them.

I am dealing with a scammer as she had previously emailed me to offer full refund and provided a return address which differed to her registered paypal address. I complied with paypal's instructions and sent it to her registered paypal address.

Any experience or knowledge of this type of situation would be most welcomed.

Thank you.

I'm not sure how this will play out but if there's one thing I've learned in dealing with Paypal is that if a rep is unsure or does not have the power to assist you then they wont. I would escalate this case to supervisor level. Ring back and speak to one.

I paid via paypal by credit card and spoke to Visa and enquired about the possibility of a chargeback if paypal closes the dispute in favor of the seller, they couldn't help and said that my contract is with Paypal and not them.

Thank you.
The Visa rep you spoke to is wrong. You funded the paypal transaction with a credit card and you can dispute the charge. The fact that you paid through paypal is secondary.

Dispute the charge in writing to the c.c. company. Include all details of the transaction including that the case was ruled in your favor and you did your part in following through on the return and as evidenced by the attempted delivery and refusal by the seller, the credit should be issued to your account.

Once you file the c.c. dispute, they notify paypal and paypal will freeze the seller's funds. Also, as I understand, your filing with the credit card company will close your paypal dispute (since you can only file one dispute) but it won't release the seller from her obligations.

I have no idea how this will turn out and I wish the buyer all the best of luck!! To me it sounds just ridiculous that a seller can just refuse the returned bag and get away with everything like that... What is left of buyer protection then???!!!!

Actually once she attempts to return it, Paypal should side with her if she paid by credit card. So once you get it back, sign for it and you should get the refund and the bag.

Make sure you tell Paypal that it might take 3 weeks for the bag to get back to you, maybe longer and you do not want them to close the dispute.

Actually once she attempts to return it, Paypal should side with her if she paid by credit card. So once you get it back, sign for it and you should get the refund and the bag.

Make sure you tell Paypal that it might take 3 weeks for the bag to get back to you, maybe longer and you do not want them to close the dispute.

This is my understanding as well. You have tracking proving you attempted to return it to the seller but it was refused. Sellers who have lost claims cannot avoid having to give a refund by refusing the return delivery. This should resolve in your favour. I would not open up a c.c. chargeback just yet.

You did the right thing by sending it to the address specified by Paypal. I wonder why she wanted it shipped to a different address. Is it possible that she had moved and had not updated her address information in Paypal? I have heard of this happening.

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments, advice, support and chiming in.

I spoke to my postie last night and he went to work early to hunt for the package and delivered it to me this afternoon. Although the package wasn't tracked for it's return journey I had to sign for it and then wait.....and wait......and wait......for Royal Mail to upload confirmation on the website. The second it was uploaded I called Paypal and I have just been refunded.

My postie said that return items do not take priority and the package would have sat in a corner three weeks or longer if I he hadn't known about it's urgency.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when the seller got the message from Paypal that the payment was reversed in my favor.

My heartfelt thanks goes to Sophie for your kindess and continued support and above and beyond the call of duty, started this thread on my behalf in the middle of a Thanksgiving party!

Take care everyone and thanks again.

Thanks so much to everyone for your comments, advice, support and chiming in.

I spoke to my postie last night and he went to work early to hunt for the package and delivered it to me this afternoon. Although the package wasn't tracked for it's return journey I had to sign for it and then wait.....and wait......and wait......for Royal Mail to upload confirmation on the website. The second it was uploaded I called Paypal and I have just been refunded.

My postie said that return items do not take priority and the package would have sat in a corner three weeks or longer if I he hadn't known about it's urgency.

I would've loved to have been a fly on the wall when the seller got the message from Paypal that the payment was reversed in my favor.

My heartfelt thanks goes to Sophie for your kindess and continued support and above and beyond the call of duty, started this thread on my behalf in the middle of a Thanksgiving party!

Take care everyone and thanks again.

So happy to see this worked all in your favor! I believe that firm yet polite dealings with postal workers usually leads to positive results in the end. Congratulations on getting your funds back!