Buyer wants to pay in cash??

I'm now in Manila and this is actually how most ebay transactions for high end items end up. I agree there are many legitimate reasons for wanting to pay in cash (get the bag ASAP, no worries about the post office, etc. etc) particularly if you are in the same city. I think performing the transaction at the bank sounds like a good idea. However, if you aren't comfortable and if you have no one to accompany you, you may be safer passing it up.

hmm yea, I wouldn't do it. how about a money order or western union or something?

I once had a buyer ask if she could meet me at a local Starbucks to pay for a bag (only $75) in person...she said cash at first. When I said I would, she asked if she could give me a personal check. I said no to the check and then she backed out. Weird.

CASH is KING! :king:
Meet in a public location and do the exchange. Make sure the bills are not counterfeit, lol!

You will save money on Paypal fees and no worry of a chargeback! Love it!

I've done it and I'm in NYC. I took the dh and met her at a bank location. I knew there'd be cameras in case there was a problem. Neither one of you are covered by paypal and she's paying in cash so no chargeback issues. Be careful and stay alert. Deposit the money and don't walk with it. Good luck!

I did the same thing, had DH along, was in very public location with a camera and deposited funds right away. As long you have protection physically and are not carrying the money around you should be ok. I would rather have cash than have to wait for funds to clear. I made the person sign the printout of the item with a disclaimer that if they accepted purse they could not ask for return at a later date, final sale.
Hope this helps!

Ok.
I just got another question from another potential buyerfor the same item as above. They are located in Denmark and to avoid duty fees they want me to send the bag to a hotel in Dallas, TX because her husband will be there for a conference. I checked her feedback and the items with links to click on were both pretty big purchases. Is that too risky?

The only 2 buyers that actually offered to pay close to what I wanted for the bag are wanting to purchase the bag where we both will not be protected. ahh what to do!? please help! Thanks AGAIN!

If these two are your options, I'd go for the 1st buyer bc in the end it's the safest transaction for you if you heed the suggestions everyone gave.

If you sell to your Danish buyer, there's no paypal protection anyway bc Denmark doesn't have confirmed addresses. (unless paypal now offers it?)

I don't see anything wrong with the cash transaction, unless you are uncomfortable with it. Meet in a bank and have the bank check the bills... No PayPal fees, no hassle. I'd contact the first buyer and see if she is still interested...

I just sent her a message. I hope she accepts now. Thanks everyone! I replied t hrough both ebay messages and email and according to her email address she attends a school a block away from my school.. which is more comforting to know that this will probably be safe!

Thanks all!

If you agree to meet the person (I've done this before) please make sure you bring someone with you..and also see if you can get the person who is paying you to withdraw money from his/her bank account at an atm in your presence to make sure it's not counterfeit...