Buyer wants to pay in cash??

effinhaute

Sep 18, 2006
I have an auction up for a Chanel bag and just received an offer of $1200 (BIN $1500). They were asking because they were located in NYC as well if they could pick the bag up from me and pay me by cash instead of paypal. Any opinions on this??

I know I won't be protected by paypal.. but would I really be risking anythign since she is going to pick the bag up in person? I am assuming she would examine the bag when she picks it up from me. So should I give it a go or pass the offer up?

ya i wouldn't do it at all. if they have the money you can get it throw paypal. also i hear there is alot of scans with bank and cashiers check. i tell them they have to send me a post office money order. they are about the only thing safe now

I've read reports on such crimes where a high value item is exchanged for cash and the buyers rob the seller afterwards. Don't be gullible., there's always Western Union if buyer doesn't like Paypal.

I would lean towards not doing it, but the other option is that you could have them meet you at your bank so you can deposit the money immediately and then give them the bag. Kind of a hassle though... but just a thought...

i'm sorry but this sounds like a nightmare waiting to happen. $1200 in cash and the person in front of you to exchange the money.....i don't know but in my mind this does not sound safe at all. do not do it. Repost the listing and somebody who is willing to pay through paypal will bid.

Hm, I could see why someone would want to for some legitimate reasons (I know I've wanted to a few times - saves shipping fees, you examing the bag in person first, I hate paypal and actually save my "mad money" in cash, etc). But you'd definitely have to take precautions, if you wanted to do it. Like do the transaction in front of a police station. And bring a friend (preferably big and male)! The bank idea is a good one too.

But if it makes you uncomfortable, don't do it.

I've done it and I'm in NYC. I took the dh and met her at a bank location. I knew there'd be cameras in case there was a problem. Neither one of you are covered by paypal and she's paying in cash so no chargeback issues. Be careful and stay alert. Deposit the money and don't walk with it. Good luck!

This has happened to me before, when I sold my MC speedy at first I was planning on doing it, then my family talked me out of it because you never know who that other person is, or if they are coming alone. Be safe and tell her you are not comfortable with meeting in person.

I've done it and I'm in NYC. I took the dh and met her at a bank location. I knew there'd be cameras in case there was a problem. Neither one of you are covered by paypal and she's paying in cash so no chargeback issues. Be careful and stay alert. Deposit the money and don't walk with it. Good luck!

I wouldn't do it, but if you do, this ^^way seems the safest (in a bank with cameras where you can deposit the money right away, and bringing someone with you (preferably male and big/strong)) :yes:

^^ Yes, I did it a few years ago as both a seller and a buyer. I'm not sure I'd do it now, but I wanted to give her input on how to do it as safely as possible if that was her option. KWIM? :smile: