Buyer Wants to Avoid Customs Tax

thank you for saying this.

a month or so ago, I sold a bag to this buyer who seemed to have been leading a very sheltered life. when I mentioned to her I would list the bag at the full value she paid for when ship the bag, she didn't respond right away but seemed to caught up after a few more email exchange. so I told her I could declare it at 100 dollars BUT if it was lost, i'd keep the money and refund her 100 dollars. she didn't say nothing. so I had the worst scenario in mind, I declared the full value she paid for. and when it arrived, she moaned to me that she had to pay custom. I repeated again what I said in the previous email to her...bc of some foreign exchange thing, I lost 100 buck already. I asked her to use pp gift option but she decided to use western union....oy...I don't know what to say. I felt bad for her but I wasn't going to pay for her mindlessness....
If the package was lost, it wouldn't matter what you declared. The buyer would file INR and you wouldn't be able to prove delivery. She'd get a full refund and NOT just the $100 declared value.

thank you for saying this.

a month or so ago, I sold a bag to this buyer who seemed to have been leading a very sheltered life. when I mentioned to her I would list the bag at the full value she paid for when ship the bag, she didn't respond right away but seemed to caught up after a few more email exchange. so I told her I could declare it at 100 dollars BUT if it was lost, i'd keep the money and refund her 100 dollars. she didn't say nothing. so I had the worst scenario in mind, I declared the full value she paid for. and when it arrived, she moaned to me that she had to pay custom. I repeated again what I said in the previous email to her...bc of some foreign exchange thing, I lost 100 buck already. I asked her to use pp gift option but she decided to use western union....oy...I don't know what to say. I felt bad for her but I wasn't going to pay for her mindlessness....

was this an ebay transaction?????

Why would she pay via Western Union????
with Western Union she had NO buyer Protection.....

and why did you suggest she pay with Paypal using GIFT, if it wasn't a gift????

If the package was lost, it wouldn't matter what you declared. The buyer would file INR and you wouldn't be able to prove delivery. She'd get a full refund and NOT just the $100 declared value.

I would think that is is tough to file any kind of claim if you pay via Western Union.....

so, I think that the seller here, was totally safe..... no matter what happened..... or what was valued.....

and I am MORE than fine with a seller declaring the sale value, that is up to the seller and how they want to conduct their business.......

However, I do think that if the seller said she would do it, then
decided not to.... she should inform the buyer that she changed her mind and was now going to declare the full value.....
Cuz, as it SOUNDED.... it sounded like the buyer here agreed that she
would take the risk and the loss if the package did not arrive..... and the seller sounded like she would go forward
with that deal.....

I would think that is is tough to file any kind of claim if you pay via Western Union.....

so, I think that the seller here, was totally safe..... no matter what happened..... or what was valued.....

and I am MORE than fine with a seller declaring the sale value, that is up to the seller and how they want to conduct their business.......

However, I do think that if the seller said she would do it, then
decided not to.... she should inform the buyer that she changed her mind and was now going to declare the full value.....
Cuz, as it SOUNDED.... it sounded like the buyer here agreed that she
would take the risk and the loss if the package did not arrive..... and the seller sounded like she would go forward
with that deal.....

Asking for the gift option is basically like asking the buyer to pay cash. There is no buyer protection. But if a buyer is asking the seller to under declare and if the seller agrees (putting aside the moral issues). It is only reasonable for the buyer to assume some if not all of the risk if the item is lost. But using gift is abusing PayPal - fees are minimized or even avoided. Better to ask for a wire transfer.

Asking for the gift option is basically like asking the buyer to pay cash. There is no buyer protection. But if a buyer is asking the seller to under declare and if the seller agrees (putting aside the moral issues). It is only reasonable for the buyer to assume some if not all of the risk if the item is lost. But using gift is abusing PayPal - fees are minimized or even avoided. Better to ask for a wire transfer.

I agree with the assuming the risk part......

I just felt on a thread where people are proclaiming how HONEST they are...
that NOT wanting to pay the Paypal Fee;'s is a bit.... well dishonest....

That the seller wants to avoid 3% in Fees.... and goes outside of Paypal.....

and in my opinion, if the buyer is taking such a risk as to be paying
by Wire Transfer, such as this case...... then that buyer had the right to
ask the seller to under value the package to avoid 20-30% in additional fees......
and to further ensure that her package would arrive safely.....

Buyer saved the seller money..... then the seller should have been willing to
do the same thing for the buyer.....

Of course I am NOT sure exactly what kind of sale this was...... so, I can't really
comment on whether the seller was trying to avoid fees......

it's not...it's thru my blog
i didn't want pp to make money off me...i had a woman bought from me and used the gift option but she used her cc..so she's covered. it was a smooth transaction.

it's not...it's thru my blog
i didn't want pp to make money off me...i had a woman bought from me and used the gift option but she used her cc..so she's covered. it was a smooth transaction.

But you want PP to facilitate a transaction that makes it convenient for you to receive money from buyers, right? PP isn't always my favorite company either, but 2.9% of a transaction is a pretty low-cost way of allowing you to safely accept payments from buyers all over the world. If, as a seller, you want to use PP to accepts payments, then you should be willing to accept the seller fees that PP charges.

But you want PP to facilitate a transaction that makes it convenient for you to receive money from buyers, right? PP isn't always my favorite company either, but 2.9% of a transaction is a pretty low-cost way of allowing you to safely accept payments from buyers all over the world. If, as a seller, you want to use PP to accepts payments, then you should be willing to accept the seller fees that PP charges.

actually I prefer personal check. just saying...

A seller sending an item to a buyer as a gift is NOT the same as sending a gift to your brother.

As a seller, it's illegal to lie on a customs document and as a buyer, it's illegal (and against the rules) to request that a seller undervalue and/or lie on the customs form.

Buyers who purchase internationally need to be prepared and willing to pay any fees that are due to their government or they should limit their purchasing activity to sellers in their own country.

:goodpost:
Not putting myself at risk for a buyer. I'm not a department store...I sell rare and HTF designer things from my personal closets here and there.
Sticking to my rules has kept me and buyers safe. All of my things sell, regardless.

If international buyers don't like that I stick to the rules that are in place to protect myself from crazies? They can find another seller.