Buyer wants out of auction that ends in 2 hours! Ebay

Jennifer75

Jul 27, 2009
Illinois
So annoying...what is wrong with people?
I have an auction ending in 2 hours for a wallet. There is only one bid - it ends in 2 hours and the buyer just contaced me saying she doesn't need it anymore is there anything she can do? Sheesh!
Come to find out - she won another auction for the exact same item the day after she bid on mine. Has already paid and has received feedback for the transaction.

I'm not sure if I can even cancel her bid - but I feel she is responsible.
I told her that her bid was a binding contract. She has over 50 feedbacks so is not brand new to Ebay.

So now, I fear a negative feedback or NPB. UGH.

pigalle74

Apr 7, 2009
you know, it's pain- but I would not force the buyer if she wants out of the auction, at least she contacted you- there are many NPBs that just disappear and never answer your requests. It looks like she won't follow through the auction anyway, so I would just ask her to agree to mutually cancel the transaction. You can also give her a NPB strike if you want. But I would not sell it to her knowing that she has the exact same item already- she will look for excuses to return it and it will create more headaches for you. I'd just relist and move on.

pigalle74

Apr 7, 2009
I didn't know you could cancel bids during the 12 hours window as a seller either. Good to know

Leeleerae

Jan 7, 2009
if you cancel her bid, will you still be able to relist the item without paying another relisting fee?

Jaime

O.G.
Jul 4, 2006
If it's that close to the end (has only happened to me twice in 5-6 years of selling) I will not respond and then tell the buyer later on that I just got their email after it ended and i'm sorry but it's binding. They can then choose to pay or get an NPB strike.

oceanplease

Aug 9, 2009
Canada
Ugh, annoying. If one auction ended before the other, why not wait to see if you win it first? I'd ignore her and make her buy it (or at least neg her). Maybe you could suggest that she try to sell it on ebay?

Jennifer75

Jul 27, 2009
Illinois
Thank you for all of your replies! I decided to be nice and cancel her bid - thank you noshoepolish for the link! - and lucky for me, I had another bidder. So all's well that ends well, and hopefully that buyer learned a lesson. I just wouldn't have been nearly as annoyed if she would have told me yesterday, which is when she won the other wallet.
Oh well!
Thanks again!

missmollypolly

College bad addict
Dec 29, 2005
DC/Moco and Boston
you know, it's pain- but I would not force the buyer if she wants out of the auction, at least she contacted you- there are many NPBs that just disappear and never answer your requests. It looks like she won't follow through the auction anyway, so I would just ask her to agree to mutually cancel the transaction. You can also give her a NPB strike if you want. But I would not sell it to her knowing that she has the exact same item already- she will look for excuses to return it and it will create more headaches for you. I'd just relist and move on.
I agree. Unfortunately, if you sell on ebay, eventually you're going to not see eye-to-eye with buyers at some point. Better to just move on and get them out of your hair, rather than forcing them into something they don't want (no matter how right you may be).