Buyer wants my photos to re-sell

Jan 20, 2007
I sold a bag recently to a buyer who has decided she does not want to keep it. Since I do not accept returns, she sent me an email asking if she could use my pictures that I had on my listing to list the item herself for sale on ebay. She says it is because her pictures do not come out as nice as my pictures. Should I send her my original photos? Should I be worried? Any thoughts would be appreciated!

Is it wrong that I immediately want to say "no, don't do it". Not because I'd be worried about any related dodginess, but because I'd be a bit selfish! Why should I help a buyer of one of my items to potentially sell it for even more than I sold it to them by using my fabulous photos. That sounds really mean, doesn't it? :shame:

^ Agree. I kind of think of it as a reward for good behaviour - i.e. that they are reselling the item as opposed to cooking up some excuse to return it to me when I've said no returns. And I always suggest they credit the photos so they won't look suspicious for re-using them.

It's nice that she's asked permission to use your photos, rather than whine and want to send the bag back. I wouldn't have a problem with her using my photos at all, which she can easily copy, without needing the originals.

I agree. Since she asked you first, I don't think there is anything wrong with sharing, and it may save you the headache of an unhappy buyer. I wouldn't send her the originals though. I would tell her to copy paste the pics from the listing screen.

I would be thanking her for asking your permission first. So many people steal other sellers' photos these days. I would grant her the photos if it were me. At least you know she's on the up and up.

i would let her use it, but when you send them to her you should put a little strip at the bottom with your name. you still get the photo credit and as another user pointed out, it won't look suspicious.

i would rather have a buyer ask rather than outright steal it!!

Hey...unless you have a watermark on your pictures then generally speaking she can save them and use them. Polite that she asked I suppose and I would probably say yes because of it. Might also aid with the feedback bit of your sale.

Thanks for everyone's feedback. Now I won't feel so bad about sharing my photos. While I think the Buyer should take her own photos since it takes time to take nice photos (different positionings, good light, etc.), I think I will tell her that she can use my photos. However, I have watermarks on my photos. Should I tell her to go to my auction and copy and save those or should I give her my originals? Probably not my originals, right?

^ Agree. I kind of think of it as a reward for good behaviour - i.e. that they are reselling the item as opposed to cooking up some excuse to return it to me when I've said no returns. And I always suggest they credit the photos so they won't look suspicious for re-using them.

ITA. Good advice, LouiseyPeasey! I've let someone use my pics before and didn't have any problems. :smile: