Buyer wants me to use her Fedex account to mail item

krazydaisy

Feb 21, 2009
Hello ebay experts, i sold something on ebay that is pricy and the buyer is asking me if i could refund her $15 for shipping (what i charged for shipping in my auction) and if i could use her fedex account to mail the handbag to her. the handbag i sold to her was $850 and am not sure if i should use her fedex account, is this a bad idea or an alert of a scam? thank you

IMO There are too many things that could go wrong with using her Fedex account. It would be easier to use whatever method you specified in your auction. I don't know if it's specifically a scam but it's far better to be safe now than sorry later.

You'd probably be okay using her account to ship as long as it went to the PP confirmed address and was marked "do not forward," BUT I don't think I'd do it - if she's already paying $850 for an item, $15 for shipping really shouldn't be an issue. Also, she agreed to it when she bid + paid for the item.

There have been posts on various blogs regarding Fedex (and UPS) scams.

As the seller, you have no way of knowing whether the Fedex account is valid.

Here's an example of a Fedex scam. The sender was given the recipient's (supposed) Fedex account number. The sender shipped the item but the account number turned out to be invalid and the sender was responsible for paying the cost.

http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/scam/fedex/

And here's one where shipping accounts (UPS) were hijacked and people were shipping items on the accounts of others.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2...ng-fedex-scams

I don't think I'd want to do anything that take shipping control away from me as the seller. I wouldn't do it.

Our offices fedex# got used last month by scammers - something like 20-30 random overnight packages to different parts of the country - interestingly all the addressees / signed by names were the same.

I guess I don't understand how she would save anything. If it is truly her account, she still has to pay, right? I would not do it for the reasons noted above (rerouting package, stolen account, etc.).