Buyer wants me to send to different address..please advise

Jan 28, 2010
First, I apologize if this question is answered already.

Ive sold lots of small ( under$100) items on ebay with no problem, but this is a big ticket items and buyer has me nervous. Bottom line, after paying for item today, she sends me several emails telling me the address listed is not correct and please send to address in France. (1st flag)

I emailed back that it is not the verified pay pal address and that my listing states no international shipping.

She quickly responds, no problem, send to the US Address, but Oh, the address is off by one number ..here is the correct number.

So im at a loss, the payment looks like it has gone through, meaning its shows cleared in my pay pal (not on hold) but its my understanding that I am only covered if I can prove that I sent it to the address verified with Pay pal. I would hate to loose out on a sale, especially if she is legit. She mentioned something about TPF, and I saw her feedback on ebay and bonanza.

Any tips? Thank so much TPF!

Absolutely positively, do not ship to an unconfirmed Paypal address...you will

not have any seller protection and it is wrong for your buyer to ask that

don't care what her excuses are or what other people may have done in the

past... if she is not understanding that is her problem.... you can only ship to

a confirmed address.. no if ands or buts....

To clarify, you won't be protected against chargebacks for unauthorized use. You will be protected against INR if d.c. and/or s.c. when required show receipt.

If the transaction is marked is "eligible" and you send with signature confirmation to the confirmed PayPal address, they'll also cover unauthorized use. I've - unfortunately - had this experience with a $2000+ item, and PP covered me.

Tell her she needs to contact PayPal to have her verified address changed, and you'll hold the item until she does so or advises you to ship. If it's really the wrong address, then she should be able to get it fixed easily. If she hacked someone's account, not so much.

You may have to refund the payment because it is associated with the unconfirmed address. She can repay using the corrected confirmed address. There is no charge to either party to do the refund/repay thing.

Here are some of the responses I got after explaining Im not comfortable sending to a different address

"when my information was verified, the “1” was missed and still went confirmed. It hasn’t been updated and I’ve never had a shipping problem, receiving packages."

"I just noted that the correct address is 9125 not 925, I’ve been selling and buying for many years on ebay and a couple on bonanzle. If you look at my feedback, clearly I’m legit 100%"

"And I understand the issue; however, seemingly enough, that doesn’t seem to matter much anymore, more and more sellers are shipping to unconfirmed addresses knowing that a signature/shipping proof is what deems necessary with claims."

"And, I’ve come to learn that it no longer matters if a buyer has a confirmed or unconfirmed address provided, it’s the signature and proof of shipping that is taken into account."

What is important is that the Paypal transaction page specifies "eligible" for seller protection.

Yes it does say eligible. And the payment is listed in my account. When I click "eligible" it mentioned I am covered if sent to the listed address. if she gives me permission in writing to send to "correct" address ...??

Thanks again ladies for the input ..i searched pay pals site as well.

Here are some of the responses I got after explaining Im not comfortable sending to a different address

"when my information was verified, the “1” was missed and still went confirmed. It hasn’t been updated and I’ve never had a shipping problem, receiving packages."

"I just noted that the correct address is 9125 not 925, I’ve been selling and buying for many years on ebay and a couple on bonanzle. If you look at my feedback, clearly I’m legit 100%"

"And I understand the issue; however, seemingly enough, that doesn’t seem to matter much anymore, more and more sellers are shipping to unconfirmed addresses knowing that a signature/shipping proof is what deems necessary with claims."

"And, I’ve come to learn that it no longer matters if a buyer has a confirmed or unconfirmed address provided, it’s the signature and proof of shipping that is taken into account."

First off, she's been buying and selling for years with an incorrect address? Yeah, right. Any legit buyer would have corrected that the moment they realized it was wrong.

Further, I think it's rather ridiculous of her to inform you that it "doesn't matter anymore" and that more sellers are willing to ship to unconfirmed addresses these days. She is full of sh*t. Yes, it does matter.

Let me be very frank with you.... She is trying to snow you, plain and simple. Let me tell you why. If she were a legit buyer, she would simply correct the address and move forward with the transaction per your request. Instead, she's taking the time to send you every excuse and reason as to why it's ok to ship to a non-verified address. Does that add up to you? Me, either. And why is she telling you that signature & proof of delivery are taken into account? Hmm, could it be because she is a scammer? I'm sorry -- normal buyers do NOT say things like this.

OP, refund the money and RUN. In fact, please forward all communication to Bonanza and/or Paypal.

ETA!! My apologies if this post comes off harsh. It just really burns my buttons when someone tries to take advantage of a perfectly honest person. :pout: