Buyer Wants Me To Mark Pkg With Lower Value! Need Advice

I received this message today....just thought I would post it for those of you who have advised me on this issue.....the NERVE of this person!! And to top it off...the bag was NEW..not used....and she only offered me $100 and was trying for less...

Here's her message...

I wasn't going to dignify your last message with a response but I think you need to realize that marking packages with a low value is a standard, common practice. If you marked your package as $100 I would have to pay $50 in fees. That is a ridiculous amount to pay for a used item. If anything, it's Customs who are dishonest. You should really consider all the facts before questioning someone's moral fiber. I can tell you have kids by the way you tried to punish me, so I'm going to chalk it up to your unfamiliarity in this area, but still, it really isn't your place to judge. I have absolutely no need for your bag, it was just a nice trifle to add to the collection. I certainly won't be at a loss. I'll just have an extra $135 in my pocket. Still, it wasn't a nice message to receive, esp. yesterday. I talked with many hard-core ebayers about it last night at my birthday party and they agreed that this was a naive reaction to a standard practice. Sorry we couldn't do business

sheesh I just did this myself :lecture:

my buyer asked me to give her free shipping (from Australia to UK) for my balenciaga and told me to declare the bag as $200 because she doesn't want to be hit by customs.

I actually agreed to BOTH... cos I was in a good mood at the time (often am) and am always eager to please my buyers

Come to think of it, she was kind of rude! :sad: I didn't get a word of thanks from her..........

I've just been asked by a PFer to do this, so I am at a loss of what to say here... We will see how it turns out.

I can't believe the nerve of that buyer's response!! That is just down right rude.

I received this message today....just thought I would post it for those of you who have advised me on this issue.....the NERVE of this person!! And to top it off...the bag was NEW..not used....and she only offered me $100 and was trying for less...

Here's her message...

I wasn't going to dignify your last message with a response but I think you need to realize that marking packages with a low value is a standard, common practice. If you marked your package as $100 I would have to pay $50 in fees. That is a ridiculous amount to pay for a used item. If anything, it's Customs who are dishonest. You should really consider all the facts before questioning someone's moral fiber. I can tell you have kids by the way you tried to punish me, so I'm going to chalk it up to your unfamiliarity in this area, but still, it really isn't your place to judge. I have absolutely no need for your bag, it was just a nice trifle to add to the collection. I certainly won't be at a loss. I'll just have an extra $135 in my pocket. Still, it wasn't a nice message to receive, esp. yesterday. I talked with many hard-core ebayers about it last night at my birthday party and they agreed that this was a naive reaction to a standard practice. Sorry we couldn't do business

It doesn't happen often, honest. But, my blood is absolutely boiling reading this.

While I have to say I immensely dislike giving my money to Customs & Excise, I also equally feel the same about the Inland Revenue. I would love to think we could negotiate with both customs and IR/IRS in the US, but, somehow I don't think they will be prepared to negotiate with me.

It may well be "common practice" in some EBay Communities, in fact, it is probably the same community which thinks it is ok to sell someone a counterfeit bag, knowingly and act ignorantly. Also, the same one who baits and switches. etc etc.

We have had several discussions about this lately, and have wondered about different scenarios and what the duty aspect would be on items such as used, I also asked about if you sent a bag abroad for repair, what would be the situation. I found the answer to the latter myself, you have to fill in a declaration.

The person who should really be questioning the moral fibre, has absolutely no idea of what "moral" means, also she should complain to her local Customs & Excise and report them for dishonesty!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would forward the message to EBay, just to highlight someone who has no care or concern for her actions or words. I know they probably cannot act on it, but, as it is against their TOS they should do.

You are best with nothing more to do with this individual.

I've just been asked by a PFer to do this, so I am at a loss of what to say here... We will see how it turns out.

I can't believe the nerve of that buyer's response!! That is just down right rude.

I thought so too.To be fair, I am posting my message to her so that you can tell me if what I said was "punishing"!

My message:

I have decided after your last response that I am not going to sell the bag to you. Sorry, but I just think that you are asking too much. I would never do anything dishonest, and marking the package with a lower value is dishonest! Perhaps you can find the same or a similar bag on Ebay through another seller.

Thank goodness you didn't sell to her. Where does she live that Customs would charge her $50 on $100 sale? I have never heard of such a thing. Strange how she is upset with you yet she is the one not only in the wrong but asking you to lie.

I thought so too.To be fair, I am posting my message to her so that you can tell me if what I said was "punishing"!quote]

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think badly of yourself, you are the one in the right, and dealt with it in a dignified way.

Glad you didn't sell it to her. Hang on, you will get the right price for it.

You have done exactly what I would have done and politely! Seriously, I know the under-declaration is a contentious issue, but it is simply not something I would do. I think I would understand the opposite point of view, but I would also expect a buyer to understand my position. As the seller, it is your call. The buyer can ask you to under-declare and different sellers will have differing responses, but the discretion lies with the seller and I believe any decent buyer would recognise and respect that. . .I know how upsetting this level of hostility can be, but hang on to the fact that you remained polite, honest and fair - I know who I'd rather deal with on Ebay . . .Hugs and a smile to cheer you up . . .

I thought so too.To be fair, I am posting my message to her so that you can tell me if what I said was "punishing"!quote]

Absolutely not!!!!!!!!!!

Don't think badly of yourself, you are the one in the right, and dealt with it in a dignified way.

Glad you didn't sell it to her. Hang on, you will get the right price for it.

You ladies are so kind and supportive. I was quite shocked by her audacity, not only in repeatedly asking me to sell the new bag for almost half what I paid for it, but asking me to de-value it when shipping. I probably won't relist it for a while, if I ever do. She has me a bit gun-shy! By the way, how much are Canadian custom fees?

You ladies are so kind and supportive. I was quite shocked by her audacity, not only in repeatedly asking me to sell the new bag for almost half what I paid for it, but asking me to de-value it when shipping. I probably won't relist it for a while, if I ever do. She has me a bit gun-shy! By the way, how much are Canadian custom fees?

I am not too sure, but, from what people have said previously probably on a par with the UK, from what she is saying.

My last purchase, worked out :

Bag $260.00 and I paid £67.19, which at todays exchange rate would be $135.00 ish. So, it isn't exactly cheap.

Here's her message...

I would've told her she's right! Under-valuing items on customs forms is a common practice - FOR THIEVES. And how could you possibly question the "moral fiber" of someone that obviously doesn't have any? Tell her to take her $135 and go buy some.

She's a cheap thief. She solicits you for your bag that she wants so desperately, she will lie to her government to get it. But then says she doesn't need this "trifle" in her collection? That's not even arrogant. It's stupid.

Tell her that she and her hard-core-eBay-party-going friends are more than welcome to march their birthday cake eating asses right down to the retail shop and pay full price for the bag. And tell her to mention to her sales person when she's being rung up - that she's NOT going to pay the taxes. Then watch how quickly they call security.

I would've told her she's right! Under-valuing items on customs forms is a common practice - FOR THIEVES. And how could you possibly question the "moral fiber" of someone that obviously doesn't have any? Tell her to take her $135 and go buy some.

She's a cheap thief. She solicits you for your bag that she wants so desperately, she will lie to her government to get it. But then says she doesn't need this "trifle" in her collection? That's not even arrogant. It's stupid.

Tell her that she and her hard-core-eBay-party-going friends are more than welcome to march their birthday cake eating asses right down to the retail shop and pay full price for the bag. And tell her to mention to her sales person when she's being rung up - that she's NOT going to pay the taxes. Then watch how quickly they call security.

I love the way you think print*model! Ya know, I don't have a dishonest bone in my body. As a matter of fact, I usually get taken advantage of because I give the benefit of the doubt. I did not have to sell this bag, and to offer to accept less than what I paid(not counting ebay & paypal fees to boot), I felt her attitude was not justified. She was asking me to do something dishonest, no matter how she tries to spin it. I felt that it she were that dishonest, what would stop her from screwing me over somehow. In her 2nd email to me, these were her words for wanting the bag:
"I wrote you a couple of days ago with an offer of 100 dollars which you graciously refused. I just wanted to say, if your bag ends up not getting sold again, and if you ever consider relisting this again at a lower price, let me know. Maybe I can go up a little, and you can go down a little. :smile: I know you paid a lot more - but I have so many bags in this particular colour, I can't justify buying another at this price! "

The bag was a new Allison Burns that I paid about $160 for, and had listed once before. On the second listing, I started the bid at $135 with a BIN of $155. Reasonable..at least I thought it was. I felt badly for her when she continued to message me pleading for a lower price. I gave in. Thankfully, she showed her true colors before I shipped the bag. My husband keeps telling me I am too trusting. Perhaps he's right.