Buyer wants his return shipping

New2Coach

O.G.
Jul 26, 2007
I sold an item for my dh 2 weeks ago. Buyer decides he was not happy, not what he wanted, etc. So he send me an email. I did not read the email until the next day and by then he had sent several asking me when was I going to respond. By then he had already opened a dispute with ebay. I immediately emailed him back explaining nicely that I did have a life outside of ebay and apologized for taken almost 24 hrs to get back with him, but with a full time job, three kids, and a death in the family I am not always available to respond:P. I then went straight to ebay and hit ok for them to refund. Now he has emailed me 3 times about the return shipping. Today he told me he had sent the package and the amt of shipping. I emailed him back and told him nicely that ebay has already taken the money from my PP and they are the ones who will do the refund when the package arrives.
So my question is do I or should I refund the shipping? I know I am headed for a negative Fb if I do not refund it. He has just not been nice from the start.

IIRC, I believe ebay will remove a negative if u can show proof that it was unjustified -- in this case, buyer is responsibile for shipping. And if he's claiming it through PP Buyer's Protection, the return shipping is claimable through PP and not you.

Don't refund. People aren't stupid. If you're selling something that really looks good but find your feedback suspect, they'll browse through your sale history and can see that your negative feedback (I assume this will be yr first; I assume too that you will write a reply to your -ve feedback) was a case of buyer not understanding the T&Cs of an ebay transaction.

Don't let him hold your feedback hostage.

Theres no way I would refund shipping. This was a change of mind case. Online stores dont refund shipping for change of mind, you shouldnt either. He was lucky you agreed to a refund just because he changed his mind and I dont know why or how he had grounds to open a dispute anyway just because it wasnt what he wanted.

AFAIK, when you are in the "dispute process" you are not able to leave a negative feedback. I had a buyer return something for a refund, and when I received it back and refunded her, I opened the dispute in order to get my ebay FVF fees back. The buyer said she tried to leave good feedback but was not able to because of the dispute process. Maybe this is untrue because your dispute was already opened by the buyer, but I'm not sure - try calling ebay, maybe?

Regardless, I would NOT refund the return shipping. I think you'll get the negative either way, actually. I think this buyer sounds like one who would do just that, you know? I had a similar situation a few years ago where I sold something small & low-priced and the buyer complained... so I refunded in full and told him to just keep it, don't bother shipping back. What did he do? He gave me a negative anyway!!! Some people are just jerks.

I agree with the others, you may get a neg either way. Keep the shipping.
I have no problem bidding on items from a seller with a neg or two, especially when they have left a nicely worded, factual response. Most ebay savvy buyers can read between the lines.

I agree with the others, you may get a neg either way. Keep the shipping.
I have no problem bidding on items from a seller with a neg or two, especially when they have left a nicely worded, factual response. Most ebay savvy buyers can read between the lines.

^agree here.. the buyer changed his mind.. the item wasn't

damaged or defective.. buyer's remorse.. think they should absorb

shipping.. :nuts:

Ebay will refund the shipping if they tell the buyer to return the item. I believe it comes out of your paypal account.

Ebay refunds the original shipping, but not the return shipping. If he does leave a negative, just hope he mentions not getting the return shipping back in the feedback and ebay will remove it. How much feedback do you have right now (like what number)? If you have 100 or more I definitely wouldn't worry about it, but if you have something like 10, it might be worth refunding the shipping if it's not too much even though it's not your fault to avoid the hassle. If you do decide to do it, say you'll be happy to refund the shipping after receiving positive feedback.

Thanks for all the replies. Buyer is still emailing me today asking for the return shipping and I have still not received the item back. I told him ebay has already took the money out of my PP account so its up to them is they want to refund the return shipping. So he got snippy with me again saying that if ebay has already taken the $ out of my account then why hasn't he gotten his refund. I wrote him back saying its because the item has not been returned to me yet:rolleyes:.
I will wait for the item to be returned and watch for my bad fb I am sure to get. He sounds new to the whole process.
Anyways I have over 1000 + FB's so I am not worried about 1 neg.