Buyer waited 2 weeks before messaging "this item is fake"

uhhkate

Mar 9, 2012
Hello all,

I recently sold an Hermes bracelet to an international buyer (new to ebay, joined earlier this year), who left positive feedback upon receipt (10/29). Fastforward to yesterday - she messages "where is this bracelet from and when did you buy it?"

My heart sinks, because I know where this is going... sure enough the "I don't believe this bracelet is authentic" messages start to flood in. I didn't bother trying to convince her of its authenticity, though I am quite certain it is (originally purchased it from a highly recommended seller who is popular here). I said send it back and offered to refund return postage.

She messaged me today saying she had posted it, and sorry she hadn't "gotten around to looking at the bracelet earlier", along with the cost of her return postage.
Since she has left positive fb, I'm wondering if there is anything I should look out for, other than a bait-and-switch type scam.

I found it odd that she did not examine the bracelet earlier. I don't get the feeling she is trying to scam (I accept returns within 14 days and she did not take the "official" return route or upload any tracking info) but one can never be too careful on ebay. I am thinking she may have just wanted to wear it out then return it at no cost to herself..

Sorry for the wall of text but if anyone has advice on this it's greatly appreciated. I think I'm done selling any high end items on ebay though.

though I am quite certain it is (originally purchased it from a highly recommended seller who is popular here)

Did you have it authenticated yourself?????

You should ALWAYS authenticate any items you buy on the internet.....

Just because the seller is highly recommended does not mean it is impossible for that seller
to accidentally sell a counterfeit.....

You should always be 100% certain an item you list is authentic....
have it authenticated via Authenticate 4 U......

There are people here who have actually bought counterfeit items from
Saks and Bloomingdales...... You always need to have items authenticated....

though I am quite certain it is (originally purchased it from a highly recommended seller who is popular here)

Just because the seller is highly recommended does not mean it is impossible for that seller

+1
I know a reputable seller who purchased a fake bag from Saks, and didn't know it until she resold it on eBay.

Absolutely agree

+1
I know a reputable seller who purchased a fake bag from Saks, and didn't know it until she resold it on eBay.

That happened to me a few years ago with a Prada wallet I purchased from Neimans!
In order not to cause alarm, I just want to add that these are 99.999% of the time cases of dishonest customers who do a "buy and switch." They buy an authentic item from Saks, Neimans, Macy's, etc., and return the fake with the genuine "proof of purchase."

These stores don't knowingly sell fakes.

In order not to cause alarm, I just want to add that these are 99.999% of the time cases of dishonest customers who do a "buy and switch." They buy an authentic item from Saks, Neimans, Macy's, etc., and return the fake with the genuine "proof of purchase."

Yes, very good point.:yes:

Of course.

Yes... exactly.....

Thanks all. Yeah - I am aware that even retail stores accidentally sell fakes that have been returned as the real deal ;(

I had not had it authenticated, as it looked and felt completely consistent with other bangles I own (and gah. yes it's a clic clac). But as soon as it is back in my possession that's the next step. When an error is mine I don't mind owning up to it... it's the waiting two weeks to take a proper look. It always makes me feel like a buyer just wants to rent an item.

moral of the story, always authenticate, trust no one.

Thanks all. Yeah - I am aware that even retail stores accidentally sell fakes that have been returned as the real deal ;(

I had not had it authenticated, as it looked and felt completely consistent with other bangles I own (and gah. yes it's a clic clac). But as soon as it is back in my possession that's the next step. When an error is mine I don't mind owning up to it... it's the waiting two weeks to take a proper look. It always makes me feel like a buyer just wants to rent an item.

If you have enough pictures you can have it authenticated online in the meantime.

And I don't take having my items authenticated as a sign of mistrust and I certainly hope that sellers don't feel that way when I get their items authenticated. I know that there are very convincing fakes out there and people can make mistakes (including me, of course). I think it's a good idea to get a second opinion on everything.

I know that returning item is kinda big in the USA....
I used to work at Nordstroms..... so I saw it first hand....

Here in Europe tho, I have to say, it is not a common practice.....
So, I would be more inclined at believing that she just did not get around to looking at it for 2 weeks.....

and feel REALLY lucky that she contacted you without opening a case...
Had she opened a case she would have been refunded and not had to return it.....
That is a new ebay thing.....

I know that returning item is kinda big in the USA....
I used to work at Nordstroms..... so I saw it first hand....

Here in Europe tho, I have to say, it is not a common practice.....
So, I would be more inclined at believing that she just did not get around to looking at it for 2 weeks.....

and feel REALLY lucky that she contacted you without opening a case...
Had she opened a case she would have been refunded and not had to return it.....
That is a new ebay thing.....

Thanks. Buyer is Australian, I have no idea how common returns are there.

That is why I offered a refund + return postage straightaway.. rather have it back than be out the item and money. I've been on both sides of that, a seller sent me fake Burberry shoes a while back and wouldn't accept a return, so I opened a case. eBay refunded me without requiring return of the item. Though the shoes were fake I still felt it was very unfair to the seller.

I hope for your sake the Nordstrom customers in person were less brazen than some of the folks (buyers and sellers) we see on ebay.

Thanks. Buyer is Australian, I have no idea how common returns are there.

That is why I offered a refund + return postage straightaway.. rather have it back than be out the item and money. I've been on both sides of that, a seller sent me fake Burberry shoes a while back and wouldn't accept a return, so I opened a case. eBay refunded me without requiring return of the item. Though the shoes were fake I still felt it was very unfair to the seller.

I hope for your sake the Nordstrom customers in person were less brazen than some of the folks (buyers and sellers) we see on ebay.

I think that the anonymity of the internet has made for some seriously brazen
buyers...... It seems that over their computers they like to act like
total monsters.... and in person they act a LOT different.....