Buyer threw my item away and wants a partial refund??

Feb 19, 2011
Just need to vent, its been a rough ebay week...I had a buyer who sent me a message saying he received his item, waited a day before opening it, discovered it was bent in two places. (This was a vintage advertising shipping carton). So I asked for pictures of the packaging and the damage done to the package. He then sends me a message that the trash was coming that day so he just got mad and threw ALL of it away. I sent him a very nice message saying that I was sorry but without pictures of damage etc. I could not help him (item was also shipped priority mail so I did have insurance covered for the amount of the sale). This morning he sends me a message that I should at least refund him half since the packaging was my fault, oh and he only thought he paid $10 for it when he really paid double that, and he also said I'm terrible at customer service, he would never treat a customer this way and left me his home phone number....??? I have shipped another of these the same way and the buyer got it fine, left me good feedback....

Sorry just need to vent, I haven't responded yet to the latest message.....just wondering if anyone else had a buyer throw away your item...oh and yes this is all documented in ebay messages.

There is no way he'd be getting a damned red penny from me.

You didn't TELL him to throw it away.

You didn't MAKE him spend "more than he thought".

YOU are not responsible for his extreme short temper and blind stupidity.

I think if he opens a case, you will win. But if he does, make sure to call eBay right away and have it closed in your favor, referring them to the emails that state he threw the item away and no longer has it. If HE closes it, you'll be stuck with the defect, even though you didn't do a damn thing wrong.

I think if he opens a case, you will win. But if he does, make sure to call eBay right away and have it closed in your favor, referring them to the emails that state he threw the item away and no longer has it. If HE closes it, you'll be stuck with the defect, even though you didn't do a damn thing wrong.

Thank you, I guess I am more curious what his next move is going to be, and knowing I could get stuck with a defect. But I guess I'm floored that if someone did in fact get mad and throw something away how about let that be a $20 life learning lesson and not get mad at me?? Anyways thanks!

Agree that you are not responsible for him throwing out the packaging which you would
need to file an insurance claim or at least have the pictures available of the damage

He got "MAD" well, he needs to take responsibility for his actions whether he likes it or not.
His behavior is unacceptable & you have to draw the line for yourself.

I'd contact ebay have all of this on record & if you communicated via ebay messages,
ebay can read it all for themselves.

Keep us posted & sorry you have to deal with a buyer that is having a "tantrum"
& I would suggest not calling him as he could be verbally abusive..

I'm curious....is this a newbie ebayer? That's the ONLY reason I can possibly see as someone doing this.

Otherwise, my feeling is that it's a scammer who wants something for nothing. Neither ebay nor paypal will allow him a refund without returning the item and if he has the nerve to neg you, that would be a badge of honor I'd wear with pride. I'd respond to the neg with "buyer discarded the item then demanded refund."

Please post this buyer's ID because I want to BBL!

:roflmfao::roflmfao: i love it when someone speaks their mind!!!!

I'm curious....is this a newbie ebayer? That's the ONLY reason I can possibly see as someone doing this.

Otherwise, my feeling is that it's a scammer who wants something for nothing. Neither ebay nor paypal will allow him a refund without returning the item and if he has the nerve to neg you, that would be a badge of honor I'd wear with pride. I'd respond to the neg with "buyer discarded the item then demanded refund."

Please post this buyer's ID because I want to BBL!

No the worst part is he is a SELLER too!! I think he's mad about what he paid for the item, it might have came damaged, he threw it away thinking he only paid x amount and now he is trying to get me to cave....and yes I am not afraid of negative feedback for this one....

I will PM you his id..thanks!!

Thank you for the email. This scammer knows exactly what he's doing and you should out the ID so others can block!

Shame on the buyer/seller for doing this to you!

BTW, if you win the dispute and he negs you anyway, it'll be removed once you call ebay and request it.

This is total BS. Are you in the US? We have a doctrine in law called spoliation of evidence. Basically, if you destroy a piece of evidence you lose. He cannot prove that there was anything wrong with the item if he threw it out. And because of his actions, you are also deprived of the opportunity to examine the item and prove that there is no defect. Same rule for $20 eBay item and for $200,000 car.

I would tell him to pound sand - and I suspect eBay would, too.

This is total BS. Are you in the US? We have a doctrine in law called spoliation of evidence. Basically, if you destroy a piece of evidence you lose. He cannot prove that there was anything wrong with the item if he threw it out. And because of his actions, you are also deprived of the opportunity to examine the item and prove that there is no defect. Same rule for $20 eBay item and for $200,000 car.

I would tell him to pound sand - and I suspect eBay would, too.

Yes I'm in the US and yes that is hopefully what ebay would tell him to go do too...just needed to vent!!

Update, my buyer just filed a claim with PAYPAL...not ebay....I provided all documented dates and requests for photos....please say a prayer for me....this is unbelievable...

Even with a claim filed in PayPal, your buyer would still need to ship the item back to you. If the buyer disposed of it, there is nothing to send back so I don't think they would win. You never know with PayPal though, so my fingers are crossed for you!