Buyer thinks item is a fake! Help!

missmollypolly

College bad addict
Dec 29, 2005
I've been clearing out my closet and I've put a few things up on ebay that I no longer want or no longer fit me. Included was a Marc by Marc Jacobs dress from Fall 2006 that I bought at a department store (I believe Saks, although it may have been Neimans). Anyway, I only buy authentic merchandise and have never purchased designer stuff from anywhere where there is the slightest chance of buying a fake. I sold the item through a BIN and shipped it within one day.

This morning, I had a message from a buyer asking where I bought the item and why the tag was different from other MbMJ stuff she owned. I explained that because the dress was an older item, the tag may be different from newer stuff and I found another ebay auction of a similar item showing the same tag. That's all settled, buyer leaves positive feedback.

I get another message a few minutes later (after the feedback is left) saying that the tag says the dress has fabric information for a shell but that the dress is unlined. She thinks its a fake.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do. I know the dress is authentic and the buyer has already left positive feedback. Should I just go ahead and refund her money or should I wait to see how this plays out? I looked into ebay/paypal mediation and it seems like the seller pretty much always loses?

Since I bought it at least three years ago I don't have a reciept or anything.

Sorry this is happening to you. :sad:

Isn't the shell the outer part of the dress? :shrugs:

Does the tag, also (incorrectly), mention a lining, do you know? Is that what she's trying to suggest?

If it just mentions the shell, that's OK, isn't it?

Last edited:
Hi! I am the buyer who is suspicious of the dress. I don't know what the "shell" could be as it is a pretty simple straight forward silk dress with a uniform fabrication. I looked at all my marc by marc jacobs clothing fabric tags (and you can see in the mj forum thread about clothes that I have a good amount of it from many seasons) and while many have "shell" on the fabric tag, they seem to be flagging the different fabric components of more complicated dresses. This one doesn't have those complicated qualities which is why it gave me pause. I hope we can work this out amicably, soon.

Hi! I am the buyer who is suspicious of the dress. I don't know what the "shell" could be as it is a pretty simple straight forward silk dress with a uniform fabrication. I looked at all my marc by marc jacobs clothing fabric tags (and you can see in the mj forum thread about clothes that I have a good amount of it from many seasons) and while many have "shell" on the fabric tag, they seem to be flagging the different fabric components of more complicated dresses. This one doesn't have those complicated qualities which is why it gave me pause. I hope we can work this out amicably, soon.

I'm 99.99% positive that 'shell' means the outer portion of the dress (i.e. the bit others can see when it's worn); whether, or not, it also has a lining.

So, a dress with no lining may well still have 'Shell: 100% silk', or whatever, on its label.

I'm obviously no expert on MBMJ dresses and their label descriptions, in particular, though.

How does the quality if the dress compare with your other ones, do you think?

I have 2 MJ pieces that are older from 04-05, one is a sheath dress with a lining and it says Shell 100% lambswool, Lining 100% cotton and I have a sundress that does not have a lining and its tag says Shell 100%cotton, so I'm pretty sure that lining or no lining the tags from this time frame all refer to the dress itself as the shell.