Buyer tells me my Kate Spade earrings are not authentic.

MAGJES

O.G.
Dec 13, 2008
I received a return request this morning from a buyer on ebay. The items were a (4) pair lot of Kate Spade earrings that I purchased myself at bloomingdales.com over the years and sold for a bargain. Never worn. The return is no big deal BUT I would like to tell this seller that she is incorrect about taking these to a boutique for authentication. How can I tell her this politely without getting negative feedback? I'm a little pissed right now with her ignorance and want to put it to her nicely. Advice? I don't really want to pay for her shipping back to me.

Here is what she said in the request...
4 pair Kate Spade Earrings - Never Worn - Fashion Jewelry Pierced
Item ID: 112437656226
Order ID:
112437656226-1674323972001
Buyer email:XXXXXX
Sale price:
$23.99
Sale date:
Jun-14-17 19:06:22 PDT
Buyer ID:
haroldsally
Return ID:
Return opened:
Jun-18-17 08:30:16 PDT
Return shipping:
seller pays
Return reason:
Doesn't seem authentic
Comments:
I took these earrings into Kate Spade and they said they were counterfeit. Three are weird styles never sold by Kate Spade. Only one set has a spade hallmark. The others have rough backs to hide the cheapness of the metal and the absence of the identifying Kate Spade hallmarks. I would like to return the pieces for a full refund including shipping both ways. I would also like the seller to provide a return shipping label. Thanks so much for your help.

(I sold these earrings as pre-loved and there is a possibility the backs were not the ones that were original but never paid attention to that detail. I do not have spare backs so do not really see how that could happen but did not sell as new so do not think that a difference. )

Last edited:
Oh, good grief! 4 pairs of earrings for <$30 (including shipping)! She got a deal.

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the earrings and I'll certainly issue a refund upon return. However I do want to confirm and stress that they are absolutely authentic, having been purchased from Bloomingdales.

Although store personnel is prohibited (by company policy) from authenticating, there are occasions where they do try their hand at it. The problem lies with the fact that not only are they not trained to authenticate but styles change so frequently that styles from even just a year ago might be unfamiliar to an employee. The person who deemed them as fake is mistaken and I would be happy to speak to the manager of the store where you went.

Again, I'll take them back if you don't want to keep them but want to reassure you that they are genuine KS earrings.

Please let me know your plans.

Oh, good grief! 4 pairs of earrings for <$30 (including shipping)! She got a deal.

Dear buyer,

I'm sorry you aren't happy with the earrings and I'll certainly issue a refund upon return. However I do want to confirm and stress that they are absolutely authentic, having been purchased from Bloomingdales.

Although store personnel is prohibited (by company policy) from authenticating, there are occasions where they do try their hand at it. The problem lies with the fact that not only are they not trained to authenticate but styles change so frequently that styles from even just a year ago might be unfamiliar to an employee. The person who deemed them as fake is mistaken and I would be happy to speak to the manager of the store where you went.

Again, I'll take them back if you don't want to keep them but want to reassure you that they are genuine KS earrings.

thanks BB. I just searched my old emails and found my online orders from bloomingdale and 1 actually came directly from katespade.com. Yes that buyer got a deal! Not sure I understand why (if it is even true) how a young SA probably earning minimum wage (meaning no experience) would make the statement that something is not authentic.

thanks BB. I just searched my old emails and found my online orders from bloomingdale and 1 actually came directly from katespade.com. Yes that buyer got a deal! Not sure I understand why (if it is even true) how a young SA probably earning minimum wage (meaning no experience) would make the statement that something is not authentic.
I have to laugh when an SA deems a vintage Coach bag as fake because the serial number isn't in their system. Half the time, the SA wasn't even born when the bag would have been made!

I still have 1 pair of KS earrings that I did not list with the lot of (4). They do NOT have the KS imprint she mentioned and they have the same backs. The same backs that she called cheap. Maybe this buyer should address her expectations of KS quality with the boutique that called them cheap as they are authentic KS earrings. I purchased these myself in person at the KS store in Charlotte NC about 5 years ago. I have thoroughly vented now and am over this buyer. :smile: I will happily resist these authentic earrings upon their safe return (fingers crossed).

I have to laugh when an SA deems a vintage Coach bag as fake because the serial number isn't in their system. Half the time, the SA wasn't even born when the bag would have been made!

I got sneered at by LV staff because they didn't recognize one of their own runway styles from several seasons past. The ignorance of sales people never surprises me and my response to the snotty SAs should surprise no one. I made them look up my purchase history because I 'couldn't remember' which season the bag was from.

Long story short, never trust sales peeps to authenticate.

Reactions: camalie and MAGJES
I got sneered at by LV staff because they didn't recognize one of their own runway styles from several seasons past. The ignorance of sales people never surprises me and my response to the snotty SAs should surprise no one. I made them look up my purchase history because I 'couldn't remember' which season the bag was from.

Long story short, never trust sales peeps to authenticate.
Agree....and I can't help but think that sales staff at Kate Spade would be some cute young college girls on summer break. That's is who is always working there when I stop by to browse. :P

Reactions: restricter

Dear buyer,

BB - I received the items back today and have a question. I am planning on refunding the buyer her payment but will I need to ask her to cancel the transaction in order to receive my ebay credit or will the refund trigger the credit automatically?

BB - I received the items back today and have a question. I am planning on refunding the buyer her payment but will I need to ask her to cancel the transaction in order to receive my ebay credit or will the refund trigger the credit automatically?
I don't know the answer to that question.

If you issue the refund and the credit isn't automatic, perhaps you can then request the cancellation or call ebay, point to the refund and ask them to do it manually.

thanks. I'll make a note of what happens so I can give advice in the future. :flowers:
Seems like a lot of transactions end up this way lately. Just read the blister/shoe return request. ugh.