Buyer says they do not have Paypal

MKB0925

O.G.
May 24, 2011
I have sold a few items on ebay and just sold a bag. . The buyer sent me a message telling me she does not have a paypal account and wants to send me a check and can she have my address? (My paypal is linked to my account.) The buyer has 100% feedback so how did she buy other items on ebay?

Do I just go ahead and cancel the sale and tell her I only take Paypal? Also should I call ebay and let them know she wanted to send me a check?

Thanks!

Never take checks from a buyer. You never know if the funds are available or the checks are legit. Maybe suggest to her to send you a bank wire. It's risky for her as a buyer, though.

It's my understanding that you don't have to have a PayPal account to make payment via PayPal. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I've seen that message on many websites when checking out.

I have sold a few items on ebay and just sold a bag. . The buyer sent me a message telling me she does not have a paypal account and wants to send me a check and can she have my address? (My paypal is linked to my account.) The buyer has 100% feedback so how did she buy other items on ebay?

Do I just go ahead and cancel the sale and tell her I only take Paypal? Also should I call ebay and let them know she wanted to send me a check?

Thanks!
When a buyer wants to pay by check, that's a good thing. It saves you (as seller) the fees associated with taking a PP payment although it gives the buyer no protection.

If a buyer wants to pay by check, that's allowed as long as you didn't solicit that payment method. But you should never ship until you've allowed the check time to clear. Just cashing it at the bank isn't good enough; your bank has to be paid by her bank in order for it to be considered cleared.

Another (my preferred option) is to have the buyer pay with a USPS (postal) money order. That check can be validated and cashed at the post office and you can ship once you cash it.

It's my understanding that you don't have to have a PayPal account to make payment via PayPal. I'm not exactly sure how it works, but I've seen that message on many websites when checking out.
This is correct. Buyers without PP accounts fund a payment with a credit card.

I've taken a check before. You wait until you get the check and deposit in your account, and wait for it to clear. Then you ship out your item. The buyer is out of luck if she doesn't like it since there is no paypal record she has paid.

In my case, my buyer had paid with paypal but the address wasn't the one she wanted, and she didn't know how to change it. So I refunded the payment and waited for her to send the check. It worked out fine. The buyer was thrilled even though she had to wait weeks to get her item.

I would have no problem with a check either. Just wait for it to clear before you send the parcel. Within Canada, I've had a few people send cash and I have sent cash and had no problems. (Not large amounts) There is definitely a certain amount of trust involved but I think most people are honest.

In the "olden" days, the only way to pay was either by personal check (which some sellers wouldn't accept) or a Postal Money Order (which was a pain since there was a fee involved and you had to buy at the PO, which is never a fun thing in my town). Transactions took longer but that's the way it was, and no buyer protection.