Buyer says item not received, help!

Sep 25, 2008
First, this was a casual transaction that took place through a community website where people do swaps and buy/sell makeup all the time. I am in Canada mailing to the US and routinely US-bound packages are not tracked because US buyers don't want to pay for it (yes, I now realize it would have been worth eating the extra $ myself, but after multiple transactions this is the only issue I've ever had). Anyway, a buyer says she did not receive a package. I have the receipt from the post office as well as the customs form I filled out to prove it was sent (the customs form is one of those copies and it is faint but her zip code can be made out) - two other packages went to the US that day and both made it. The buyer has had no contact from US customs and no banned items were in the package (nail polish, perfume etc.). Is there ANY way that this package can be found? Any procedure via USPS or US Customs to find it? And if it can't be found, which I suspect will be the case (buyer is messaging me about this but has disappeared from the community), am I on the hook for a refund? She paid via Paypal. Sigh. Please let me know any helpful info you may have to help me resolve this without having to pay someone to take my items. Thank you. :smile:

I think you are on the hook. She paid through paypal and you don't have any way to prove delivery.

I don't know if USPS can track a package from the customs form. I don't think they would be very helpful. I'm going through an issue with USPS now and they always assure me they are going to do something, but they never do.

OP, it is very possible that the package may indeed turn up.. It may take a little
longer but it may arrive.

I would write your buyer ask her to be a little more patient & reassure her that
should her item not arrive you will refund.. You don't want her to file an INR
just yet..

Let her know you are following up with usps..

Keep us posted

Thank you, all. I think I'm pretty much on the hook for this if the buyer wants to be unco-operative. $100 lesson probably learned - it's funny, everything goes well (and lulls you into a sense of community and security) until it doesn't and then, well, expensive lesson.

Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by 'customs number' - I am looking at my copies of my customs forms and not seeing a unique number on them. The PO lady did stamp them all with a number, they (the numbers) seem to change by the day so the 3 packages I sent that day all have the same #. Is this what we're talking about?

Anyway, this site is always so helpful - I am selling a bunch of stuff on evilbay right now for the first time and have specifically referred a number of question-askers here for the advice on authenticity and general tips. I never saw a group of humans mroe on the ball about things like this than TPF, for real. Thank you! Will update. :smile:

Thank you, all. I think I'm pretty much on the hook for this if the buyer wants to be unco-operative. $100 lesson probably learned - it's funny, everything goes well (and lulls you into a sense of community and security) until it doesn't and then, well, expensive lesson.

Can anyone elaborate on what is meant by 'customs number' - I am looking at my copies of my customs forms and not seeing a unique number on them. The PO lady did stamp them all with a number, they (the numbers) seem to change by the day so the 3 packages I sent that day all have the same #. Is this what we're talking about?

Anyway, this site is always so helpful - I am selling a bunch of stuff on evilbay right now for the first time and have specifically referred a number of question-askers here for the advice on authenticity and general tips. I never saw a group of humans mroe on the ball about things like this than TPF, for real. Thank you! Will update. :smile:

You probably sent by small packet - airmail to the US in which case there is no tracking or insurance. There is a tracked packet to the US which is a few dollars more but does have the number to track it. If your buyer says she never received it then you are on the hook unfortunately as you cannot prove that she did. It is too bad, and I feel for you - hopefully you have an honest buyer who will let you know when it arrives.

You probably sent by small packet - airmail to the US in which case there is no tracking or insurance. There is a tracked packet to the US which is a few dollars more but does have the number to track it. If your buyer says she never received it then you are on the hook unfortunately as you cannot prove that she did. It is too bad, and I feel for you - hopefully you have an honest buyer who will let you know when it arrives.
Yes, I did send it 'small packet' - everything I've sold on eBay has been sent tracked and with delivery confirmation but on this more casual website everyone seems to just send the cheapest way possible without tracking etc. and that's what I did. I, too am hoping that this buyer is honest (I am getting a vibe that she's not, though - she has seemed totally uninterested in doing anything - calling the USPS, calling US customs etc.) that may help to track this down and her comms are becoming more and more hostile. I think I've accepted that I might be out the $100 but it burns. The potential dishonesty more than the money,a ctually. :/

Thank you for your reply. The sympathy actually helps.