Buyer said Chanel bag comes without ID card and want a dramatic reduction in price

I would be hesitant to send a message stating intentions to pursue a postal investigation for the following reasons:

1. She's had the item in her possession for 10 days. She can very easily say she no longer has the packaging (which is probably true), at which point you've given her an out, so to speak. She can blame the post office and leave you no recourse.

2. The claim would be that a postal worker took an authenticity card out of a bag, repackaged it, and sent it back off. Mind you, most packages do not indicate value of the item, and upon finding this chanel bag they would risk their job only take the card. This is a pretty shaky claim. If the buyer doesn't back down, and instead uses this as an opportunity to blame the post office, this is a story you will then have to pursue. If the buyer opens a case, eBay will quickly close it in their favor and have you pursue the postal claim, which will have little merit, especially without the packaging which is necessary for a claim.

3. You have videotaped putting the card safely inside the bag, which is solid, indisputable proof to her that is was there. I think that this is makes the case of the missing card black and white. Iinvolving the post office adds gray areas and opens the door to speculation and alternative theories in which the buyer can reasonably claim to no longer have the card.

While I have written similar letters in the past and had success, I wouldn't suggest doing so here given the time element as well as particular claim being made. I would stand my ground that the card is there and you have clear proof showing so.

Whenever I have dealt with a scammer, I do two things. 1. I make it clear that I am calm, in control of the situation, and above all - experienced. You have accomplished this by letting her know you took all precautions when sending the bag and sent her the video. 2. You want to give the scammer an out. You don't want to force them into a corner and cause them to have to stick to their story. You want to give them an opportunity to change their approach and still save face. I think the appropriate out in this case is your offer for a return upon receiving the item back in its original condition.

Again, her next response should be very telling and we can go from there. Hopefully she will take your offer for the return or "find" the card.

:goodpost: Agree here & would wait to hear back from your buyer..

Until you hear back otherwise from her I'm not sure why you wouldn't assume that she didn't think to look for the card in the zipper pocket and now has found it.
I would love to believe that she simply didnt check the pocket. What worries me is that she claimed the bag is not authentic because of the missing card 10 days after delivery. On top of that shes ok with the fake if i send her a huge partial? Sounds like a scam in the making to me but you are right until i hear from me i have to assume she really failed to check the zipper pocket. I still havent heard from her so hopefully it wont be long until she responds.

Spam like ids are those that look like they were created by spammers. For example: dffghjnv343lkkk her id is kinda like that.

I would love to believe that she simply didnt check the pocket. What worries me is that she claimed the bag is not authentic because of the missing card 10 days after delivery. On top of that shes ok with the fake if i send her a huge partial? Sounds like a scam in the making to me but you are right until i hear from me i have to assume she really failed to check the zipper pocket. I still havent heard from her so hopefully it wont be long until she responds.

Spam like ids are those that look like they were created by spammers. For example: dffghjnv343lkkk her id is kinda like that.

It is possible... She might have thought the card would be right smack in the center of the
bag & not have to look for it.. If they don't see if where they think
it should be, who knows if they even look further than their nose...

Many buyers throw the "fake bag card" into the game IYKWIM..

Perhaps she is just testing the waters to see what you will say!

The bag is authentic.. your buyer probably knows it..

Sit tight & just wait to hear back..

Last edited:
I just realized she signed up for ebay on the day of the purchase and her paypal account is un-registered.
Un-registered as in un-verified? Now that could be a cause of worry. Did the paypal email say "Seller protection - eligible"? Is so, that should protect you against cc chargebacks (in theory at least).

Un-registered as in un-verified? Now that could be a cause of worry. Did the paypal email say "Seller protection - eligible"? Is so, that should protect you against cc chargebacks (in theory at least).

Yes the transaction is eligible for sellers protection. Her payment was actually under review for a couple hrs before pp gave me the ok to ship. Im guessing that she doesnt have an ebay account and used pp to check out as a guest.

This isn't necessarily a cause for concern - a lot of people will sign up for accounts when they see an item they've been looking for pop up.

Yes the transaction is eligible for sellers protection. Her payment was actually under review for a couple hrs before pp gave me the ok to ship. Im guessing that she doesnt have an ebay account and used pp to check out as a guest.

I know you are very concerned, just don't let your mind wander off
the beaten path with this buyer..

The ball is in her court right now, she knows you packed that bag & there is a
video of that...That is powerful on its own & alot to challenge on her end

Sit tight & wait to hear back if at all..

This situation is scary. I feel bad for the legit sellers out there dealing with these kinds of problems. No wonder more and more bad sellers are popping up, the good ones are leaving. :/

This situation is scary. I feel bad for the legit sellers out there dealing with these kinds of problems. No wonder more and more bad sellers are popping up, the good ones are leaving. :/

once I had a strange story too. I sold fendi bag. After one week bayer contacted me and told me, that she just realized , the bag is fake. My bag was real. I send her links to purseforum and a4u. So she can check the bag. She refused and ask money back. Well, she wanted money back and didn't want to send me bag back)) she told me something like why would she send fake bag back to me, she feel she must destroyed it and put to garbage) i was little upset, but i was trying not worry too much, and i was so happy bag cost just $200, not thousands!
Finally I got my bag back, but it cost me so much nerves..

did you hear anything from her? such a bad story. I don't want to sell any expensive bag on ebay anymore(((((

No i have not. I sent her an email thru ebay yesterday as suggested by a member here. Its the weekend so ill give her until monday to respond. My only hope is that she is not going straight to her cc and keep my bag.

No i have not. I sent her an email thru ebay yesterday as suggested by a member here. Its the weekend so ill give her until monday to respond. My only hope is that she is not going straight to her cc and keep my bag.
I think that from this point on, you shouldn't contact her anymore if you don't hear from her. How do you know that she has already decided to drop it? If it were me, I wouldn't be so insistent that she return the bag. Maybe she found the card and is fine with it, or maybe she was just testing you to see if she could get away with getting a discount. Now that you called her bluff, you should wait for her to make the next move. If she doesn't do anything else, drop it.

I got an email from the buyer and below and how it reads:
I purchased from you a chanel purse . I thought I was purchasing an authentic Chanel purse for that price. I did not receive a card of authenticity with that purse. I do not want to pay that much money for a Chanel bag that is not authentic. Therefore , I am requesting to either reduce the price dramatically or credit my account. I have not used the bag and will send back to you. Your understanding in this matter will be greatly appreciated. Thanks

She may have meant she did not want to pay that much money for a Chanel Bag that does not have its authenticity card.

I think that from this point on, you shouldn't contact her anymore if you don't hear from her. How do you know that she has already decided to drop it? If it were me, I wouldn't be so insistent that she return the bag. Maybe she found the card and is fine with it, or maybe she was just testing you to see if she could get away with getting a discount. Now that you called her bluff, you should wait for her to make the next move. If she doesn't do anything else, drop it.

You shouldn't try and second-guess what she is going to do next. She may be a scammer or she may be someone who didn't think to look in the pocket and didn't quite express herself properly.

I agree that you should not make any further contact if you don't hear from her.