Buyer returned item to wrong seller (me)

uhhkate

Mar 9, 2012
Had a bit of a wacky ebay experience a few weeks ago.

I received a package containing a shirt that I hadn't ordered, and spent a good couple days panicking and checking all my accounts to make sure my identity hadn't been stolen.

About a week later, with no more strange occurrences, I decided it was a fluke and to resell this mystery shirt I didn't order when I got a chance.

A couple days ago I (finally) received a message from a girl who had previously bought an item from me. She explained she meant to return the shirt to somebody else and had accidentally returned it to me because she'd bought a shirt from me at around the same time, and that shipping was "only a few dollars but if you need to be reimbursed let me know".

I still have the shirt. I'd be glad to send it back. But what's the etiquette regarding postage here? My thinking was that it's her mistake - she ought to send postage before I mail the shirt.

Hers seems to be that I should send her the shirt, then she will reimburse me.

I've already sent a small invoice for postage (she hasn't paid it)... sellers/buyers - what do you think?

Last edited:
Had a bit of a wacky ebay experience a few weeks ago.

I received a package containing a shirt that I hadn't ordered, and spent a good couple days panicking and checking all my accounts to make sure my identity hadn't been stolen.

About a week later, with no more strange occurrences, I decided it was a fluke and to resell this mystery shirt I didn't order when I got a chance.

A couple days ago I (finally) received a message from a girl who had previously bought an item from me. She explained she meant to return the shirt to somebody else and had accidentally returned it to me because she'd bought a shirt from me at around the same time, and that shipping was "only a few dollars but if you need to be reimbursed let me know".

I still have the shirt. I'd be glad to send it back. But what's the etiquette regarding postage here? My thinking was that it's her mistake - she ought to send postage before I mail the shirt.

Hers seems to be that I should send her the shirt, then she will reimburse me.

I've already sent a small invoice for postage (she hasn't paid it)... sellers/buyers - what do you think?

I would wait for her to pay first. It's not your fault she sent to the wrong person and I don't see why you should risk losing money on send it back to her.

Her mistake and she should reimburse you for your costs (and, arguably, time). Frankly, to expect someone else to rectify her mistake smacks of arrogance - doesn't matter whether it's a few dollars or a hundred dollars - she should be bending over backwards to get you to help her. Honestly, some people.

Her mistake and she should reimburse you for your costs (and, arguably, time). Frankly, to expect someone else to rectify her mistake smacks of arrogance - doesn't matter whether it's a few dollars or a hundred dollars - she should be bending over backwards to get you to help her. Honestly, some people.
:goodpost:

her mistake and she should reimburse you for your costs (and, arguably, time). Frankly, to expect someone else to rectify her mistake smacks of arrogance - doesn't matter whether it's a few dollars or a hundred dollars - she should be bending over backwards to get you to help her. Honestly, some people.

+2

My thoughts too! It's such a rarity for this type of thing to happen though that I wasn't sure if my expectation here - for her to pay the costs upfront - was reasonable or not.

What irked me more, really, was her saying "it's just a few dollars". That argument goes both ways. Maybe it's only "just a few dollars" if somebody else is paying. lol.

I'm not suggesting you do this but just pointing out how lucky your buyer is that you're honest. In reality, you owe her nothing and could conceivably have taken her item as a "gift" since the law states that unordered items are to be considered gifts.

Instead of her suggestion that you be out even a small amount to fix her own mistake, she should be doing everything in her power to make sure you're whole and that it doesn't cost you anything out-of-pocket. In fact, if this were my error (as a buyer), I'd PP you an additional $5 (also a small amount) over and above the cost of shipping to compensate you for your time, inconvenience and willingness to return the item.

I'm not suggesting you do this but just pointing out how lucky your buyer is that you're honest. In reality, you owe her nothing and could conceivably have taken her item as a "gift" since the law states that unordered items are to be considered gifts.

Instead of her suggestion that you be out even a small amount to fix her own mistake, she should be doing everything in her power to make sure you're whole and that it doesn't cost you anything out-of-pocket. In fact, if this were my error (as a buyer), I'd PP you an additional $5 (also a small amount) over and above the cost of shipping to compensate you for your time, inconvenience and willingness to return the item.
:tup:

I agree with this but am also wondering.....

OP:
If you would have already "sold" this shirt you received out of nowhere - would you have sent her the $ when she messaged you?

I agree with this but am also wondering.....

OP:
If you would have already "sold" this shirt you received out of nowhere - would you have sent her the $ when she messaged you?

I thought of this too. I would have just called around to see if anyone I knew had sent me the shirt as a gift and if not I would have just marked it "return to sender" and taken it back to the PO.

If the girl is worried about just sending you money she can mail you a prepaid return envelope to send it back in.