Buyer Refused to Claim/Sign for Item at Post Office

caannie

Mother of Dachshunds
O.G.
Mar 28, 2006
Well... this is a new one for me! Almost a month ago I sold a small and thankfully rather inexpensive item on Ebay. The buyer took several days to pay, and when I sent her an email letting her know she had won (in case she hadn't noticed) she then paid right away without ever writing back. I shipped the item immediately, and two days later it arrived and delivery was attempted on July 16th. Strangely, her shipping address is a place of business, yet no one was available to sign for it and a notice was left (in the middle of the day on a Thursday).

After about a week I emailed her the Post Office tracking report at both her Paypal email address and through Ebay messages. No response. A week later I signed up for USPS updates for her tracking number to be emailed to both of us. Today I received the final, official "unclaimed" notice from the Post Office. The item is supposedly on its way back to me.

Still not a single word from the buyer. You would think she would at least want her item (or a refund!) Meanwhile, I gave her free shipping and I'm out $6.75, and another 6.75 if I ship it back. I don't plan to unless she 1) communicates to me that she wants it back and 2) is willing to pay for this round of shipping.

Why do people play games like this?

I have a similar problem, the buyer paid for ExpressMail then never bother to pick up the item at the post office. I have it back for over two weeks now and despite numerous e-mails I still have not heard from her.

maybe she just hasn't had time to go to the post office?????????

But for three weeks? And she doesn't have time to respond to her emails, either? But meanwhile, she left feedback for about 15 other sellers and has bid additionally on another 10 to 15 Ebay items.

I'm not going to call her. I emailed her no less than 4 times at two different addresses. The ball's in her court now. ;)

Well, you have the payment for the item and now the item as well.
That's so strange that the seller has done this. I wonder if she's had a death in the family or something?

I'm going to wait to see if she contacts me. If not, I'll give it a week and then send the thing back with just delivery confirmation (it's under $100), so that way no one will have to sign for it.

I would try communicating with her again. I don't recommend sending the item again in case something goes wrong.

Sounds odd that she's paid for the item and hasn't bothered to collect it or ask for a refund.

I'd wait

Sounds odd that she's paid for the item and hasn't bothered to collect it or ask for a refund.

seriously! maybe she forgot?? Yeah, definitely ask her why she hasn't collected her item. Don't send it until she takes the time to communicate with you. And I guess if so much time has gone by, offer a refund? There's really not much that can be done if she doesn't communicate with you at all. :confused1:

I've considered both options... just refunding less shipping and fees, or waiting until we are past 45 days so she can't file a claim with paypal and then just reshipping the item (there is a way to do this on paypal, I checked) with no signature confirmation. I'm tired of trying to communicate, she won't answer emails.

Oh dear, sorry to hear that but these things are inevitable when selling on eBay.

You had two options though: (before when the package was still sitting in the buyer's PO)
1) You could have requested redelivery for her on the USPS website since you have the tracking number.
2) Pull the buyer's contact info and call her.

When you get your package back, try to contact her again. If she doesn't respond, refund (less fees and shipping costs).