Buyer Refused Package, Acting Irrational

Hi, Just wanted to send a quick follow up. I just picked up the package from the post office (evidently it was delivered yesterday morning), and everything looked ok with the box - the contents were there and it did not appear that it was opened. Great! Well, I just got back home and went online to refund the buyer. However, within ebay it shows the purchase as already refunded! I know I did not send that through quite yet, I was waiting until I got the package in hand. There was no Paypal dispute or chargeback filed, I received no emails, etc. Do you think the buyer appealed and eBay granted a courtesy refund? This is what I am thinking may have happened since it did not come out of my pocket.

When I called in previously and ebay closed the case in my favor, they did indicate any feedback she leaves would be removed in the future (I was given a code for this). Surely this would still stand if they have appealed? Anyone know how this is treated?

Hi, Just wanted to send a quick follow up. I just picked up the package from the post office (evidently it was delivered yesterday morning), and everything looked ok with the box - the contents were there and it did not appear that it was opened. Great! Well, I just got back home and went online to refund the buyer. However, within ebay it shows the purchase as already refunded! I know I did not send that through quite yet, I was waiting until I got the package in hand. There was no Paypal dispute or chargeback filed, I received no emails, etc. Do you think the buyer appealed and eBay granted a courtesy refund? This is what I am thinking may have happened since it did not come out of my pocket.

When I called in previously and ebay closed the case in my favor, they did indicate any feedback she leaves would be removed in the future (I was given a code for this). Surely this would still stand if they have appealed? Anyone know how this is treated?

I inadvertently bought a fake, I used the return label that eBay had provided and it was like magic, as soon as the bag was showing as delivered back to the seller, I got my refund.

Have you checked your PayPal balance?

I inadvertently bought a fake, I used the return label that eBay had provided and it was like magic, as soon as the bag was showing as delivered back to the seller, I got my refund.

Have you checked your PayPal balance?

Well, the buyer refused the original package - they did not have an official return label from ebay. It just came back yesterday.

I checked my Paypal activity since ebay closed the case, particularly her transaction, and I do see where she must have contacted them - it says that ebay refunded the buyer before delivery even occurred. I do not see any deductions from my balance, checking account, or credit cards. No emails from ebay or Paypal. And when I go into the ebay resolution center, all that it says is that ebay closed the case in my favor. There are no further updates on my side. I had no problem in refunding the buyer as soon as the package came back in, and that is what I tried to do this afternoon, but am just a little shocked that I could not do so. The only thing I can think of is a courtesy refund from ebay? I do not know. It does not say that anything is owed to ebay or the buyer - evidently this occured several days ago with absolutely no notice. Very strange.

Last edited:
This is definitely a question for BeenBurned. How much did the item sell for? It would be sweet if you got to keep the money, but I hope EBay doesn't somehow punish you for it. It sounds like one of those one time courtesy refunds.

It wasn't a huge amount (just a little over $100). I think that it is *probably* a courtesy refund, I have heard of that happening some in the past, but have never actually seen it. If so, I can't believe ebay would actually refund with the package still en-route! From my communications with the buyer, I am betting they called ebay and were nasty - maybe the CSR just didn't want to deal with them?

LOL! I read your question earlier and I have no idea how to handle it. If your PP balance is still the same as it was prior to the refund given to the buyer, you're probably right that it's a courtesy refund and she got the money as did you.

I'm guessing here but I'm not even sure calling ebay about it would get an accurate answer! Geez, we know how frequently they give inaccurate information for simple issues. so I can't imagine they'd know how to handle it!

While it doesn't seem ethical, I'm guessing the money and the bag are both yours although I'd keep the money available in case ebay figures out what happened and they want it back.