Buyer paid with Echeck and now asking to cancel transaction:(

I'm a bit confused. So before offering my advice, I'm going to try to recap what I think happened.

1. Potential buyer 1 makes offers - last pending offer being considered by OP/seller
2. Buyer 2 makes offer and it was accepted (prior to seller replying to #1)
3. Buyer 2 pays with e-check
4. Potential buyer #1 has a temper tantrum upon learning that someone else was "first come, first serve."
5. Buyer 2 wants to cancel -- probable buyer remorse but makes excuse

Since the e-check still hasn't cleared, go into your paypal account, click on the "details" and see if you're able to "refund" the full amount.

(I've never had occasion to issue a refund prior to an e-check clearing so I don't know whether it's possible.)

If you aren't able to cancel/refund, call paypal and explain that you want to stop the transfer.

After you've refunded the buyer, BBL both the fickle buyer and the hissy-fit sore loser.

You didn't do anything wrong. As with any listing, it's first come, first serve -- you snooze, you lose.

If you don't want her contacting you further, report her messages as harassment. I certainly wouldn't sell to her at this point.

ETA: Do not sell to the buyer for cheaper. This is yet another PITA looking for a lower price after having agreed to a price.

The thing that is getting to me is that with an e-Check payment the SENDER/BUYER has the ability to cancel the payment at any time while it is pending. A few years ago I had a buyer tell me that she was going to cancel her e-Check payment because she did not want to wait 7 days for the check to clear and she cancelled it and then paid me immediately though PP with her credit card. Unless things have drastically changed in the last two years, the sender/buyer has the ability to cancel an e-check payment through PP.

The thing that is getting to me is that with an e-Check payment the SENDER/BUYER has the ability to cancel the payment at any time while it is pending. A few years ago I had a buyer tell me that she was going to cancel her e-Check payment because she did not want to wait 7 days for the check to clear and she cancelled it and then paid me immediately though PP with her credit card. Unless things have drastically changed in the last two years, the sender/buyer has the ability to cancel an e-check payment through PP.

^^^ If that's true, then the OP should let her buyer know that! I've never had the experience either as a buyer or seller.

Hello Ladies, I have been having a stressful day:sad:. Ok so you know there is two different eBay members in this story.. 1- potential buyer and 2- the buyer.

So, I put up for sale BUY IT NOW (not bidding)a designer's bag, I had many offers from one potential buyer until I felt that she was nice and told her once that I would sleep on her last offer (if you are asking why? It was lower than my minimum). The following day, i sent her a counter offer and she did not reply to me until the day after.The same day I counter offered the potential buyer, I get another offer from "the buyer" lower than what I wanted and told her thank you for looking but I wouldn't take her offer. Then, at 2am this person whose offer I rejected "the buyer", bought it for full price. She paid with Echeck and apparently that takes 5 days to be verified by Paypal. In the meantime, that day I received the email from the potential buyer saying yes I take your counter offer; so I had to tell her that someone else bought it. This lady started threatening me and insulting me in several emails because she said that I knew what I was doing and that I played her all along, that is why I said I would sleep on it, and I am this and that and she will report me with eBay. Now, TWO days later the "BUYER" sent me an email requesting me to stop the transaction.. I asked her if anyone else had contacted her to say inappropriate things about me to let me know so I could report the person thinking I had a very upset lady insulting me because she couldn't purchase the bag before her and I told her that this was a commitment and that I lost time, money and got problems because of her "buying now" the purse. I could offer her 100 dollars off and to see if we could resolve this in the best way possible.. Well she wrote back and said..,
" NO one contacted me, I am just a 21year old college student that used her moms Paypal account and she found out and wants me to cancel the transaction"
I only wrote back.. I will follow up with eBay and let you know.

WHAT do I do ladies??

OP, your buyer can cancel the payment on her end. I know this for 3 reasons:

1- I had a buyer who paid with an eCheck, cancelled it and send me an immediate payment instead.

2- I had a buyer send me an eCheck and then cancel it because she had buyer's remorse.

3- I won a case against a seller for a fake item and they sent me my refund in the form of an eCheck and then cancelled it!

I am almost 100% sure she can cancel the eCheck on her own because it is still pending. If it was CLEARED, then you would have to do it as a refund but she can do it.

Last edited:
I'm a bit confused. So before offering my advice, I'm going to try to recap what I think happened.

1. Potential buyer 1 makes offers - last pending offer being considered by OP/seller
2. Buyer 2 makes offer and it was accepted (prior to seller replying to #1)
3. Buyer 2 pays with e-check
4. Potential buyer #1 has a temper tantrum upon learning that someone else was "first come, first serve."
5. Buyer 2 wants to cancel -- probable buyer remorse but makes excuse

Since the e-check still hasn't cleared, go into your paypal account, click on the "details" and see if you're able to "refund" the full amount.

(I've never had occasion to issue a refund prior to an e-check clearing so I don't know whether it's possible.)

If you aren't able to cancel/refund, call paypal and explain that you want to stop the transfer.

After you've refunded the buyer, BBL both the fickle buyer and the hissy-fit sore loser.

You didn't do anything wrong. As with any listing, it's first come, first serve -- you snooze, you lose.

If you don't want her contacting you further, report her messages as harassment. I certainly wouldn't sell to her at this point.

ETA: Do not sell to the buyer for cheaper. This is yet another PITA looking for a lower price after having agreed to a price.

Beenburned, thank you so much for taking the time to advice! You got it right!! What really bothers me is that when are we ever going to teach these people to be responsible for their actions? When are we stopping them from hurting honest people (sellers) time, money, headaches?? I would never do such a thing to anyone:/.. I called Paypal and eBay already and reported everything.. First one email saying something then another with the 21 story.. To Paypal with reported her used of someone else's account (even if its her mother's).. I am going to wait for payment to clear, another TPFer advice that, just in case the check bounces:sad: thanks again for resounding;)
GlamGirly, you are right! That is the problem with E-checks and there is nothing I can do but another TPFer told me, that if they do that, then I can report it as non- payer buyer:smile:. Thank you for taking the time to advice me;)