Buyer paid via PP. Can I send her item right away?

beauxgoris

O.G.
Mar 17, 2006
I thought I remembered hearing that you should "hold payment" and make sure it clears before you send an item won in an auction? Is this true?

If my buyer paid via paypal (I'm in the process of transferring it over to my checking account) can I ship her item tomorrow?

well, i always send items out as soon as payment received. as long as it show the fund in ur paypal.
however, the charge back can be done ANYTIME within 45 days even if it is cleared in ur bank.
KWIM

they can claim w paypal anytime within 45 days. saying not as describe or missing (so you should always send w tracking, insured and sig if possible)...
and paypal will hold that amount of money (even if it is clear in ur bank, or you withdraw it from ur bank) and you need to resolve the case w her.

I have heard of fraudulent payments that get cashed into your account but Paypal withdraws this money back if they find it's fraudulent...I had that happen to me but it was a misunderstanding. I personally would wait 1-2 days.

As soon as I receive the PP payment I will send the item out. It takes 3-4 days to post to my checking account, but that is due to the bank not the buyer. I am sure that it will be fine.

The only possible issue, which is remote, is if the buyer's account was to get frozen for some reason. For example if it had been hacked into and the money was not really sent by the buyer (identity theft). In that case, Paypal would freeze the money and it would not get transferred into your bank account. But as I said this is pretty rare, so long as you feel confident there's no reason you shouldn't just send it out immediately.

The buyer had 900+ feedback all 100% positive so I sent right away. It seemed like the chances were low that anything shady would happen.

I think if it were someone that had less than 10 feedbacks I would have held item for a day or two - but this person seemed (I hope) like a perfect ebay buyer. *fingers crossed*