Buyer - Paid US$3,100 for a chanel bag but received empty box

yuenyuen

Jul 25, 2007
Hi all
Had to borrow another thread as was desperate for advice and can't start a new thread due to insufficient posts.

Story :-
Purchase a chanel 2.55 226 black bag on ebay. Made payment within 24 hours as requested on Monday. Seller can send only on weekend, she sent the bag on 27 Nov. The package was delivered to my house on 2 Dec signed by my mother and she was on her way out. I came home, happily saw the package waiting for me and open the bag via the bottom as the shipping document was on that side. Shocked and can not believe my eyes when I see only a bubble wrap and a stack of A4 plain paper in there.

As we are 16 hours apart, I raise a open claim under pay pal on the day itself.

Seller had insurance on this. This is my first oversea transaction and first pay pal transaction was well. Was in panic mode, can't sleep and very stress out. Was looking into Internet to see what I can do. Never thought of this forum which I later realized have so much information.

The case was open last Thursday. At first was think of giving the seller till this Thursday to come back me.

Sorry for the long post.

I am trying to escalate to a claim under PP. There is a selection box on 'why are you escalating this dispute to a claim' with the following selection. Can someone advice which is the best selection to select?

1. I already tried to reach resolution with the seller prior to opening this dispute.
2. The seller indicated that the consignment should have arrived by now. (Should not be this)
3. I have evidence indicating that the seller may be fraudulent (I don't know for sure, she seems genuine)
4. I do not believe we will be able to reach an amicable resolution
5. Other reason

I think the most appropriate ones are 4 or 5. Can i select option 5 and put in suspect theft by shipping company? that is due to USPS tape all over the bottom of the box. If I put that and seller has insurance, what are the chances of PP refund me.

Many thanks in advance.

Yes, at first, she is upset that I reported only bubble wrap and plain paper. She did go to the post office to check but post office told her that since it is a international sale, have to call a 1800-XXX number. She also did call them and also send a fax to the USPS inquiry center.

This is why, I thought I should give her some time to sort it out. She also mentioned the inquiry center will response within 5-30 days. Obviously, I will not give her 30 days as my open claim will lapse and I will not be able to escalate. I thought I will give her till next Monday as I understand everyone has a life and I only reported this last Thursday.

Welcome all advice.

Sorry to hear this happened to you.
I know on the sellers part the 1800 number says up to 30 days because they have to contact the your country's postal service and have them investigate. And they send you the information by mail, I had to do a claim before for a lost package.
I'm not sure if usps will reimburse the seller because the package wasn't lost.

My only worry is that I read that insurance is only for Seller so she is more protected than me.

If she paid for insurance on it, I am thinking that means you have to take that up with the postal carrier (I am not sure who that is for you). I am pretty sure your refund (after the mail service investigates) will come from whatever mail service she used.

Hi PriscillaW
I am confused, I am the buyer and the seller paid for the insurance on it. I did try to call USPS (her mail service) but they rejected my call as the insurance is paid by sender. They need sender to file report. The insurance will be paid to her.

On my end, I have file the report with my postal services and they will be investigating on their end too. I am willing to wait for a few more days but want to ensure that I still can raise claim in PP. As I received the package 10 days after I paid and PP only allow 30 days to escalate claim, I am left with 20 days and 6 days have already pass.

Another question is that I only open the claim not escalate and from PP website, I am only communicating to the sender and PP is not yet involved at this stage. Does it means that her account is not block and she can still move funds. If that is the case, how do I ensure that there is some urgency on her end to get this resolve.

At what point should I escalate the claim. She has been responsing the last 5 days. I don't know whether in US for such insurance claim do they need police report. As if this is really the shipping company stealing the goods, than this is theft.

Hi PriscillaW
I am confused, I am the buyer and the seller paid for the insurance on it. I did try to call USPS (her mail service) but they rejected my call as the insurance is paid by sender. They need sender to file report. The insurance will be paid to her.

On my end, I have file the report with my postal services and they will be investigating on their end too. I am willing to wait for a few more days but want to ensure that I still can raise claim in PP. As I received the package 10 days after I paid and PP only allow 30 days to escalate claim, I am left with 20 days and 6 days have already pass.

I have never been through a postal investigation, so I can only say what I have read in other threads. I remember one person saying that once a claim was filed by their buyer with the postal service, there was nothing else they (the seller) had to do. But I am not sure how it all works out. I just read that and the fact that this buyer in particular could be in trouble since their claim was fraud. Whenever there is a case filed with the postal service with insurance purchased, there is alot of investigation (from what I have read).

I can't remember who this goes badly for...doesn't OP have a SNAD claim? It should be clear cut? Then the seller waits for insurance to pay? I thought the moral to the stories we have seen so far is not to sell chanel internationally bc this is a new scam with the office paper switch, and the PO may not pay the insurance if fraud cannot be shown?

If she paid for insurance on it, I am thinking that means you have to take that up with the postal carrier (I am not sure who that is for you). I am pretty sure your refund (after the mail service investigates) will come from whatever mail service she used.

The insurance is to protect the seller, not the buyer; the seller will be responsible for opening and following through with an insurance claim. (Though OP, you'll want to save any packaging that you received in order to assist her.) The buyer will be refunded through PP, not the postal service.

Another question is that I only open the claim not escalate and from PP website, I am only communicating to the sender and PP is not yet involved at this stage. Does it means that her account is not block and she can still move funds. If that is the case, how do I ensure that there is some urgency on her end to get this resolve.

At what point should I escalate the claim. She has been responsing the last 5 days. I don't know whether in US for such insurance claim do they need police report. As if this is really the shipping company stealing the goods, than this is theft.

You have 45 days from the time of payment to open a claim. If you escalate a claim, I believe that forces PP to make some kind of a decision within a 7 (14?) day time frame. If the seller is genuinely working with you, PP, and the Post Office, AND seems like she's going to refund you, I wouldn't escalate just yet. Remember that while you have suspicions that she's trying to defraud you, if she actually sent the bag out, she likely has the same suspicions about you.

OP-

You need to document everything. EVERYTHING! Take pictures of the box, the contents.. etc. I know that sometimes they do not accept pictures, but it's better to have them on hand. Second, I would weigh all the contents (box, bubble wrap & paper) and see if the weight matches the weight that should be listed on the shipping label.

Can you post the seller's name here? It could help us to determine if this seller has had any issues before OR if they are reputable. Also, what city do they live in?

Lastly, how did you pay?? If you paid via credit card than you could file for a chargeback if paypal doesn't help you.

Can you post pictures of the box & contents?

Hi. First, save all the packaging materials and the box - take alot of photos but also save everything.

Did you file an Item Not Received or a Significantly Not as Described Case?

Did you file a police report?

I would call Paypal. Even if you have to make an overseas call. Call them.