Buyer paid and now asked for no signature required - what to do?

parrotface

Jan 27, 2010
I sold a pair of $300 shoes, and I use signature requirements for even $50 sales. I believe according to ebay, all items above $250 have to require signature anyway. Is it alright to politely refuse this request? Does it sound shady?

Aug 5, 2010
St. Louis
If you don't have sig confirmation on a purchase over $250 - and the shipping cost counts too - and the buyer claims non receipt - you lose. You will be out all the money, even if you had insurance or delivery confirm or both.

I would never do it. It's like holding the money out a window and hoping it won't blow away.

Apr 15, 2007
I sold a pair of $300 shoes, and I use signature requirements for even $50 sales. I believe according to ebay, all items above $250 have to require signature anyway. Is it alright to politely refuse this request? Does it sound shady?
You do what you need to do if the buyer doesn't like it perhaps
explain the ebay policy to her...and that you are following the
"rules"....

parrotface

Jan 27, 2010
I wrote to inform her that I had to send with signature confirmation. My other concern though is...does it sound like she's up to something no good? I understand signature requirement can be a little inconvenient if you're not home much to receive the package. But, can it be a sign of something more insidious with this buyer?

Maybe I'm paranoid, but Ebay has been causing so much stress lately...

Apr 15, 2007
I wrote to inform her that I had to send with signature confirmation. My other concern though is...does it sound like she's up to something no good? I understand signature requirement can be a little inconvenient if you're not home much to receive the package. But, can it be a sign of something more insidious with this buyer?

It may be inconvenient for the buyer & perhaps that is why she
asked to forego the signature. Nonetheless, it should be sent
with signature conf.. she will have to make the necessary arrangements.

Did you look at her feedback to see if she has bought other items
at this price point or shoes for that matter?? Where there any
issues that would make you suspicious of inappropriate activity?

northerndancer

What, me worry?
O.G.
Dec 30, 2007
The Cool Cool North

Many people consider the signature to be inconvenient and would prefer shipping without it. While it could be, I would not assume a request for no signature to be insidious.

But don't back down. You have no protection without signature.

chinableu

O.G.
Aug 19, 2009
Arizona
If you ship via FedEx, the buyer can download a signature waiver to leave on their door or they can have the post office hold their item until they are able to sign. I think they can also sign the card that's left for them and have their parcel left at their door.

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Where the wild things are
WTH is with all these requests after the sale?
Most buyers who strictly buy have no clue as to how Ebay really works. I know I didn't until I started selling----it was a real eye opener. So I wouldn't automatically assume that they were up to no good but I would be very cautious.

MizzEve

Jan 12, 2013
Not everyone who asks for this is up to no good.

I always ask for no signature required. I work all day. I live in the middle of nowhere Missouri (not by choice mind you). The closest UPS or FedEx pick up is more than an hour away, which means that I cannot pick up a delivery sometimes for a couple of weeks and they usually won't hold it that long. Packages are perfectly fine left at my door, but I don't expect sellers to understand.

I think that anyone can sign for packages, so maybe the buyer has a neighbor that's home in the daytime that could sign? I've done that in the past. I just put a note on my door to tell the delivery person to go next door.

I hope this works out for both you and your buyer :smile:

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
I would not waive it no matter what. I agree that not EVERY buyer is up to no good, but in an instance like this, you have to protect yourself. You never just know. What if they are being genuine and just don't want the inconvenience of having to be there to sign for it, but then the package DOES get lost? Better safe than sorry.

GlamGirly

Smile. Laugh. Love
Jun 20, 2012
WTH is with all these requests after the sale?
Most buyers who strictly buy have no clue as to how Ebay really works. I know I didn't until I started selling----it was a real eye opener. So I wouldn't automatically assume that they were up to no good but I would be very cautious.
Yeah, really. All of the sudden I noticed a rash of post-win requests to do something different. Either "Can I pay later?", "Can you ship to another address?", "Can you just send without signature?", etc. NO! I CAN'T! Geez.

BeenBurned

Coach, Dooney, Uggs
Authenticator
O.G.
Feb 25, 2007
East Coast, USA
Not everyone who asks for this is up to no good.

I always ask for no signature required. I work all day. I live in the middle of nowhere Missouri (not by choice mind you). The closest UPS or FedEx pick up is more than an hour away, which means that I cannot pick up a delivery sometimes for a couple of weeks and they usually won't hold it that long. Packages are perfectly fine left at my door, but I don't expect sellers to understand.

I think that anyone can sign for packages, so maybe the buyer has a neighbor that's home in the daytime that could sign? I've done that in the past. I just put a note on my door to tell the delivery person to go next door.

I hope this works out for both you and your buyer :smile:
It's not a matter of inconveniencing you by requiring a signature. It's not a matter of living in a safe neighborhood and "packages are perfectly fine left at my door, but I don't expect sellers to understand."

It's required for the seller to have an online signature for any deliveries where the buyer paid $250 or more (including shipping) for an item. If the seller neglects to purchase s.c., the fact that d.c. shows delivery means absolutely nothing if the buyer claims non-receipt.

There have even been cases where buyers have left positive feedback for the item they received and then they won INR disputes because the seller didn't realize that delivery wasn't adequate proof of receipt. (Yes, those are fraudulent and scummy buyers but it happens.)

Sellers are not being mean, not trying to inconvenience you and aren't being PITAs by requiring a signature. They are protecting themselves and buyers who purchase expensive items online need to agree to what is required or they shouldn't buy from ebay.

MizzEve

Jan 12, 2013
It's not a matter of inconveniencing you by requiring a signature. It's not a matter of living in a safe neighborhood and "packages are perfectly fine left at my door, but I don't expect sellers to understand."

It's required for the seller to have an online signature for any deliveries where the buyer paid $250 or more (including shipping) for an item. If the seller neglects to purchase s.c., the fact that d.c. shows delivery means absolutely nothing if the buyer claims non-receipt.

There have even been cases where buyers have left positive feedback for the item they received and then they won INR disputes because the seller didn't realize that delivery wasn't adequate proof of receipt. (Yes, those are fraudulent and scummy buyers but it happens.)

Sellers are not being mean, not trying to inconvenience you and aren't being PITAs by requiring a signature. They are protecting themselves and buyers who purchase expensive items online need to agree to what is required or they shouldn't buy from ebay.
I didn't say that sellers are trying to inconvenience anyone or are mean horrible people. I get it that sellers have to protect themselves. My point is there are honest, legitimate reasons why people request no signature required. I'm not arguing that anyone should make an exception to their or Ebay's policies to accommodate a buyer.

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Where the wild things are
I didn't say that sellers are trying to inconvenience anyone or are mean horrible people. I get it that sellers have to protect themselves. My point is there are honest, legitimate reasons why people request no signature required. I'm not arguing that anyone should make an exception to their or Ebay's policies to accommodate a buyer.

Could you maybe make your work address the confirmed one? I realize that not everyone has working conditions that allow this, but I know I have shipped to several confirmed work addresses.

tokki_x

Aug 20, 2012
Packages w/o sig comfirmation sometimes gets sent to the post office too, but as a buyer I would like sig comfirmation if I purchased expensive item just in case. Most time its not about how much I spent but that I like the item and doesn't want to loose it by chance :smile: