Buyer opened dispute. Is this fair? Advice please

la miss

parigote
May 4, 2007
I sold a pair of shoes a few weeks ago and this morning the buyer opened a "significantly not as described" dispute. The shoes are marked size 8 1/2 N and I described them as such. I only wore them once and they were tight I assumed because they were too narrow. The buyer claims that they did not fit her but they did fit her sister who wears a size 7. They were sold as a no return item.

I don't really know what to do. I've never had a negative feedback but truth be told I am super busy right now and I don't want to deal with this. My fiance and I are building a house and I am dealing with contractors all day, our wedding is just around the freaking corner, I'm in school full time and I have law school finals looming. Aaargh. What should I do? Please, someone, anyone, tell me what would be the fair thing to do.

PS: I'm miffed the buyer is claiming misrepresentation because I beleive I was honest.

Thanks for helping me think this through.

If they are marked 8 1/2 N and that is what you stated in the auction, I don't see how PP could side with her just because they don't fit. That really is the chance you take buying clothing and shoes over the net.

I would stand by your 'no returns' policy. Ebay is not a store.

If you clearly stated the size in the auction, I wouldn't worry about it. She's just miffed that they don't fit her. And for all you know, she could be lying about her sister trying them on. Just wait for paypal and see what they say.

I'm pretty sure she will leave negative feedback because she states in her email that I should have told her they fit like a 7. I didn't even know they fit like a 7. It's not like a try my shoes on random people's feet to see which size they fit better. *sigh*
Thanks for the responses.

People are such morons!! I recently sold a vintage purse and the buyer (A newbie of course) wanted a refund because it was worn and she felt she overpaid. I told her to send the darn thing back that I would gladly give her her money back and that for future reference she should never bid on VINTAGE bags as they are USED items!! I told her that she should be responsible for what she bids on items and that eBay is not K-Mart where you just bring your purchases back if you don't like them! I also explained to her that the bag was adequately described (In fact she even left me positive feedback saying it was just "as described"), there were photos and descriptions of the wear and that I held up my end of the bargain and was in no way obligated to even answer her e-mails. I also told her most sellers would not be so accommodating and most would tell her to go jump in a lake! I also told her that eBay is not FREE and that each listing costs money, each photo costs money, there are final value fees and PayPal fees!! I do, however, have to sleep at night and would just rather give the crazy lady her money back. Now, I just have to video tape the opening of the box to make sure it's in the same condition it was whenI sent it to her.
I just wonder how some folks get through the day with such inadequate brain power!!

I think you will be fine since you had listed the size on your listing and had not misrepresented the merchandise. Just wait and see how PayPal deals with this claim and make sure you save ALL communication with the buyer in case this escalates.

I'm sorry you had to deal with this awful buyer. She probably has buyer's remorse and is trying everything to get a refund, so stick to your guns!

I believe you will win the dispute. Dont back down because this person bought a narrow pair of shoes and they dont fit her fat foot!!! I am so sick of people not reading the auction descriptions and then blaming the seller. Stand your ground and if you get a neg, so what, just respond that buyer was trying to pull a fast one cause shoes didnt fit. I know when I see a seller explain her neg feedback then I dont give it a 2nd thought cause I know how nasty some people can be on ebay. I honestly think she is trying to take advantage of you.

I don't see how Paypal can possibly side with her since they were marked and described 8.5N. That seems to me significantly AS described. It's not your fault if she didn't pay attention to your description. Average size feet don't fit very well into NARROW shoes - that's because they make them NARROW for skinny feet! Good luck!

If she leaves neg, you can add a reply to her comment. I wouldn't worry about it too much. She didn't give you the opportunity to respond to her email, so I'd just let PayPal decide. They will probably decide in your favor and you won't have to refund her.

I want to say it's the silliest thing I've heard but the same thing happened to me, except that I knew the boots were way smaller than the size they were marked as, and made a point of mentioning it on the ad (it wasn't on Ebay). It ended up costing me 2 lots of postage dealing with the stupid woman who was convinced that they would still fit even though they were about 2 sizes smaller than marked. I didn't try to sell them again, it was too much hassle. It's why I'd never buy shoes on Ebay, or at least not brands that I wasn't very familiar with.