Buyer Leaves Negative Feedback after Full Refund. WTF?

wis3ly

O.G.
Aug 17, 2008
I sold an American Eagle shirt about two weeks ago and the buyer says it's worn many times and all that crap. (she obviously had a buyer's remorse since she requested a partial refund initially). After many e-mails, I told her to return the item and I'll refund both the bidding price and shipping price. I got the item back and refunded the money. Now she leaves negative feedback. I mean what the f*** is wrong with her? Is she even allow to do this? How do I reply to her negative feedback? (I want to explain the situation to future buyers) and is there a way I can request eBay to remove it?

Ebay won't remove it since tech she has done nothing wrong. You can email her and politely ask her why the negative feedback and ask her if she would please revise or remove the neg. Can't hurt to ask. Good luck!

i agree with the first poster. message her and ask her what was up with the negative feedback. She probably just left it because she wasn't happy with the transaction-- the negative feedback could have just been based off of the fact that she had to return the shirt, on top of not being happy with it. =/ but she could've given you positive for kindly accepting the return and refund! Some buyers are just never happy I guess... sad to say.

I would contact her for an explanation.. you told her she could send it back you

paid for the shipping.. what more does she want? a negative feedback was not

appropriate under these circumstances and perhaps re-evaluate the feedback that

she left for you

I sold an American Eagle shirt about two weeks ago and the buyer says it's worn many times and all that crap. (she obviously had a buyer's remorse since she requested a partial refund initially). After many e-mails, I told her to return the item and I'll refund both the bidding price and shipping price. I got the item back and refunded the money. Now she leaves negative feedback. I mean what the f*** is wrong with her? Is she even allow to do this? How do I reply to her negative feedback? (I want to explain the situation to future buyers) and is there a way I can request eBay to remove it?

Were you polite and friendly in your emails? Maybe overall it was negative experience if they felt they had to fight for a return. I'm just turning over a few possibilities, sometimes a buyer is just plain unreasonable and other times the buyer truly feels it was not a positive experience. No, Ebay is not going to remove the negative, they will tell you it's the buyer's opinion and unless they violated policy (such as foul language, or blaming the seller for customs charges, etc) they will not remove it.

You can respond to the feedback (type respond to feedback in the help section and a link should come up) but just a little word of advice - be gentle in your reply, if it sounds at all hostile toward the buyer than it's only going to make you look worse as a seller. When I make a purchase I look at the feedback, if there is a negative and the seller responds in a hostile way such as - Liar, scammer! Buyers remorse!! or something to that effect that's a red flag to me that the seller is not someone I'd want to do business with. On the other hand if they respond 'Sorry buyer was disappointed, offered full refund including shipping' then I'll think to myself that the seller sounds professional and pleasant to deal with and I'm more willing to overlook the negative feedback.

ETA: - note that the buyer can respond to your response (if they know how) and they will have the last word since there are only three comments allowed I believe.

Linda

Last edited:
I am sorry to sound harsh - but receiving a bad or misdescribed item means a lot of worry, loss of time, and hassle for a buyer, and it is a negative experience unless a seller bends over backwards to help the buyer.
I once bought "brand new" boots on ebay and had to make a 3 hour journey to collect them. On arrival, I saw the boots - the sole looked as if they were worn a couple of times! (of course they were worn!) The seller might have not thought it important, and claimed they were worn only by models at at shooting, but I never would buy any worn footwear, so I had to reject them, go home without the boots (wasted Sunday), and then chase the seller for refund (promises every day that the refund would be there in an hour...).
He fully refunded as soon as I opened the dispute.
I still left a negative. He wrote asking WHY negative? The answer - because the experience was negative.
If you sell something ever that you do not perfectly describe, a negative would follow one day. (please do not take the comment personally).

I think I'm just going to reply to the negative feedback then. The shirt that I sold was not worn or used as the buyer described. As I recall the shirt was probably worn 2x and washed once, at the most twice. The buyer claimed it was worn many times and blah blah blah.

Furthermore, buyer also accused me of overcharging shipping, I charged $3.99 for a blouse for first class for obvious reasons: brand new envelope, listing fees, gas..and such. Perfectly reasonable because that's the shipping price for clothes these days. I replied back pointing out that she charged $10.95 to ship ONE PAIR of jeans via Priority.

I have over 400 positive feedback and this is the only NEGATIVE I have received ever since I signed up for eBay. (Just to point out buyer has like 9 feedbacks.)

I wouldn't bother contacting her, it won't change the feedback left. I would just respond to her negative feedback by saying "Requested partial refund but I provided full refund" or something to that effect, showing you resolved the situation.

I wouldn't bother contacting her, it won't change the feedback left. I would just respond to her negative feedback by saying "Requested partial refund but I provided full refund" or something to that effect, showing you resolved the situation.
^ITA, make it as factual and non-personal and you will look like the better person.

Oh I feel your pain, I had a buyer buy a NWOT Juicy hoodie, gave it to his GF, she WORE it and then they emailed me telling me it was used, etc. He threatened me with negative so he basically blackmailed me into giving him return money shipping costs AND refunding the entire amount plus shipping for the hoodie.

He ALSO told me he wanted extra money for his time to drive it to the post office.

I complied with his awful ransom-like demands and reported him to ebay.

He STILL left me negative and ebay did not give a darn......they did not consider it "feedback extortion" event tho it was exactly what happened

This problem could be solved so easily if eBay would just go back to allowing sellers to leave negative feedback when necessary! They supposedly changed it because the buyers felt threatened and intimidated to leave negative feedback for bad buying experiences. Now it seems as if sellers have to cater to every whim and demand or will get bad feedback - AND, as you ladies can attest, will still leave negative even after you've complied! The current feedback system is completely ridiculous and inaccurate. Honestly, I'd rather know the truth about some of these dishonest buyers so I can avoid dealing with them!

Did the buyer have to open a paypal claim to get a refund? I recently left a negative for someone who gave me a full refund because I had to open a claim and escalate it to get the refund and the person wasn't nice.

Did the buyer have to open a paypal claim to get a refund? I recently left a negative for someone who gave me a full refund because I had to open a claim and escalate it to get the refund and the person wasn't nice.

Same here. If myseller would have offered a refund upon return right off the bat I would have left her a positive but she had to make it difficult for me and I had to force the issue through a claim. It was not a pleasant experience.

Linda