Buyer has 4 or 7 days to pay?

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
According to this link from ebay's site, sellers can open unpaid claim 4 days after closing bid.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

If buyers have 7 days to pay, then ebay wouldn't allow buyers to open an unpaid item claim at 4 days. So, this must mean ebay gives buyers only 4 days to pay. Correct?

What I typically do is send the buyer a friendly message on the 4th day asking them if everything is alright and I'm flexible to work out issues if there's paypal problems or what not and remind them that ebay gives buyers 4 days to pay. (not in a mean tone and not in a threatening manner). I always get back an okay or some issue (I'm totally understanding about it) and them telling me ebay gives buyers 7 days.

But clearly if ebay allows sellers to open an unpaid item claim in 4 days, it means buyers have 4 days.

So which is it: 4 or 7 days for buyers to pay?

The buyers have 4 days to pay (used to be 7). After the NPB dispute is opened, the buyer has 4 additional days to send payment (total 8 days)

In other words you have to wait 4 days to open a dispute & then wait 4 additional days to see if you ware even getting paid.

I think it's easier to send a cancel transaction request, myself.

Last edited:
Even when they had 7 days to pay, I gave them at least 10. I don't pounce now at 4 days. If they haven't paid by day 7, I send a light reminder. It really used to depend on their feedback and now that all buyers have perfect feedback, it depends on what kind of feedback they leave.

Even when they had 7 days to pay, I gave them at least 10. I don't pounce now at 4 days. If they haven't paid by day 7, I send a light reminder. It really used to depend on their feedback and now that all buyers have perfect feedback, it depends on what kind of feedback they leave.

I guess I am less patient than you. I have found if they are going to pay MOST pay with in the 4 days otherwise it is not happening. I send a reminder on day 3 and open a dispute on day 4.

I guess I am less patient than you. I have found if they are going to pay MOST pay with in the 4 days otherwise it is not happening. I send a reminder on day 3 and open a dispute on day 4.

Me too, i've always found that if people don't pay either straight away or within 24 hours then they're not going to .

Me too, i've always found that if people don't pay either straight away or within 24 hours then they're not going to .

Yes, this is my experience as well. 24 - 48 hours is about the cutoff for an earnest bidder. The rest is either gooing to pay on Friday following the end date of the auction, or they just never pay. The Friday people are annoying but hey, at least they pay.

p-WA

I'm a 4 day hard case....

I agree that if there is no payment after 48 hours at the max, and no contact, they will not pay. eBay has just set up an automatic NPB system. It's called unpaid item assistant.

If you opt in at your my ebay/my account/site preferences page, you can see an item called Unpaid Item Assistant. If you edit this, you can get the option to have eBay do it all for you. The minimum this is set at is 4 days but there are many options.

Here's an extract from eBay about how it works for feedback.

If you're using Unpaid Item Assistant, it automatically blocks Feedback from buyers who haven't paid. As soon as it opens a case, the buyer won't be able to leave Feedback on your transaction until the case is closed and you've received payment.

If buyers don't pay or don't respond to a case, an unpaid item is recorded on their account and any Feedback they left for your transaction is removed. If they haven't left Feedback yet, they won't be able to once the unpaid item is recorded on their account.

However, buyers can leave Feedback in these situations:
Before Unpaid Item Assistant opens the case
If they pay after the case is opened
If they successfully appeal after the case is closed (any previous Feedback left will be reinstated)
If an unpaid item wasn't recorded on their account after the case closes

Bottom line is, right now, it is set to off unless you turn it on. You can turn it off to manually allow a buyer to have more time, but then you need to manually do all the steps to close the case etc.

It impressed me and it's live on my system!

I send the invoice as a reminder if in 3 days, payment isn't received. On Day 4, I open a case. eBay fees are so high these days, I don't really need to be out of pocket for nothing.

As many of the posters have added, genuine buyers who do have truoble paying early will either let you know or something.

I send the invoice as a reminder if in 3 days, payment isn't received. On Day 4, I open a case. eBay fees are so high these days, I don't really need to be out of pocket for nothing.

As many of the posters have added, genuine buyers who do have truoble paying early will either let you know or something.

^agree here. once a buyer has made the commitment to buy, then they

should pay.. if the buyer needs additional time to pay they should communicate that before the auction is over if the seller agrees to wait more than 4-7 days for payment, that is up to the seller..

I personally wait until the absolute last hour to open and to close a payment dispute. I have had many buyers pay me after 10 days. I am usually very impatient but I go out of my way to make my buyers happy, even if it drives me nuts.