Buyer claiming Marc by Marc Jacobs t-shirt is fake

ihsu

O.G.
Jan 26, 2006
I've been cleaning my closet rather vigorously. I put a nice (in relative standards) MBMJ t-shirt on eBay for $25 w/ free shipping. The buyer also asked that I ship in time for Christmas after she won the auction. I got it there in time but within two hours of receiving it, she fired off two emails.

She says the MBMJ label is "off" so is insisting it is fake. I got the top from NM a few years back and still have my email receipt. She also was dissatisfied with some stitching on the inside. So, she just seems like she is being really nitpicky. Here's an excerpt from her second email:

"
I even called a MJ store and they said they have always had the same type of tag. The only place I find the type of the fake MJ tag is on ebay sites where they are selling fakes MJ shirts coming from Hong Kong, China, and one seller from Canada. By the way, there are loose threads here and there if you flip the shirt inside out. This is definitely not MJ quality. The only condition I will keep this shirt is if you do a partial refund of $10. I don't want to waste time making reports to the Counterfeit Coalition so hopefully we can resolve this matter."

I'm surprised she managed to get a hold of someone on the phone at an MJ store on Christmas Eve afternoon to confirm something like this via the phone. The last part of her email was a little threatening, i.e. if you don't give you I will report you. If she's insisting it's fake, why does she even want to keep it?
I've been on eBay for a long time and this is a cheap item, so I'm really more annoyed than anything!

Thanks for reading!

Just because she claims to have spoken to someone at the MJ store doesn't make it so. Did you ask her who she spoke to and at what time? And how could they tell anything over the phone ftlog? It isn't like she physically went into the store. No designer that I know of authenticates at the boutique level.

IMO she is fishing for a partial. If you feel so in inclined you could offer to forward her a copy of the receipt or have her return it for a refund of the purchase price.

What is the Counterfeit Coalition anyway?

Just because she claims to have spoken to someone at the MJ store doesn't make it so. Did you ask her who she spoke to and at what time? And how could they tell anything over the phone ftlog? It isn't like she physically went into the store. No designer that I know of authenticates at the boutique level.

IMO she is fishing for a partial. If you feel so in inclined you could offer to forward her a copy of the receipt or have her return it for a refund of the purchase price.

What is the Counterfeit Coalition anyway?

Haha, I know. She made up "Counterfeit Coalition".

I think my response called her bluff. I said she could provide written proof of the lack of authenticity for a full refund (we all know that is impossible) or send it back for a refund but she would have to eat shipping. I was polite and factual about it and she backed down despite still thinking the shirt is a fake bc of the inside stitching, which I never looked at for another second. She didn't want to bother with the receipt, I'm thinking, because she knows I have proof that it's from NM.

This just goes to show you can't always trust a brand 100% with quality, especially when it's a MBMJ tee shirt and not a Hermes bag!

Haha, I know. She made up "Counterfeit Coalition".

I think my response called her bluff. I said she could provide written proof of the lack of authenticity for a full refund (we all know that is impossible) or send it back for a refund but she would have to eat shipping. I was polite and factual about it and she backed down despite still thinking the shirt is a fake bc of the inside stitching, which I never looked at for another second. She didn't want to bother with the receipt, I'm thinking, because she knows I have proof that it's from NM.

This just goes to show you can't always trust a brand 100% with quality, especially when it's a MBMJ tee shirt and not a Hermes bag!

counterfeit coalition??? is she kidding??? glad you called her bluff..

let her send it back ... she is full of horses**t!!