Buyer asking me to send to a different address

GirlieShoppe

Formerly HermesNewbie
O.G.
Jun 2, 2008
Someone purchased one of my items yesterday afternoon. I printed the mailing label last night and drove to the PO early this morning to drop it off. Just as I was pulling into the PO parking lot, my buyer messaged me to say that the mailing address was wrong and asked if I could ship to another address (which he provided in the message). Do I have to cancel and reprint another label (after he's changed his address in eBay & PayPal), or can I just cross out the address on the label and hand write the new one in? I told him that I was pretty sure I needed to send to the address provided by eBay/PP in order to qualify for seller protection.

Someone purchased one of my items yesterday afternoon. I printed the mailing label last night and drove to the PO early this morning to drop it off. Just as I was pulling into the PO parking lot, my buyer messaged me to say that the mailing address was wrong and asked if I could ship to another address (which he provided in the message). Do I have to cancel and reprint another label (after he's changed his address in eBay & PayPal), or can I just cross out the address on the label and hand write the new one in? I told him that I was pretty sure I needed to send to the address provided by eBay/PP in order to qualify for seller protection.
Do not send to the new address! You are not covered under Seller Protection to ship anywhere else other than the Paypal address

OP, ask your buyer to update his address & ship it to (new) confirmed address for seller protection.
You may be inconvenienced but its worth it....

Last edited:
Bad advice. Buyer can't update address after the fact. Seller loses protection unless address is updated prior to payment.

The only way for the seller to do it is to issue a full refund and buyer would need to repay after correcting the address. Seller will lose Paypal fee for full refund (30 cents)plus cost of shipping label if it's too late to void it.

Reactions: carlpsmom
You can apply for a refund of the original label. It takes about a month to get it back. You would have to refund the buyer. They would have pay again after updating the address in Paypal. You lose 30 cents to Paypal. There is a risk that the buyer won't pay again.

30 cents is a small price to pay for seller protection.
Most buyers would understand & likely comply if this was explained properly & the buyer recognizes their error
which in this case the buyer should...

Last edited:
If in doubt, don't ship and call eBay for clarification.
Not a good idea. Ebay is known for giving bad information or what they think the caller wants to hear but rarely accurate. Ebay would tell the OP to ship to the address the buyer prefers and if the transaction goes south, the OP will be SOL.

The seller MUST ship to the "ship to" address shown on the payment details page. And if that address is incorrect, the payment has to be refunded and repaid.

Sorry, guys, I didn't realize there were more posts on this thread. Thanks so much for all of your feedback! I ended up canceling the original shipping label and I just got the refund. The incorrect address is still showing up when I go to print a new label. So at this point I need to refund the buyer and ask him to pay again? Then if he's corrected his address in eBay, will it print on the new label? This has become too much of a hassle. I should have taken BeenBurn's original advice and put it the mail anyway.

Last edited:
Sorry, guys, I didn't realize there were more posts on this thread. Thanks so much for all of your feedback! I ended up canceling the original shipping label and I just got the refund. The incorrect address is still showing up when I go to print a new label. So at this point I need to refund the buyer and ask him to pay again? Then if he's corrected his address in eBay, will it print on the new label? This has become too much of a hassle. I should have taken BeenBurn's original advice and put it the mail anyway.
Cancelling the original label doesn't have anything to do with the new address because that transaction is associated with that shipping address.

You need to refund the original payment and the buyer needs to make payment again, this time changing her shipping address prior to submitting the payment.

Cancelling the original label doesn't have anything to do with the new address because that transaction is associated with that shipping address.

You need to refund the original payment and the buyer needs to make payment again, this time changing her shipping address prior to submitting the payment.

Gotcha. I will refund and ask him to repay.