Buyer asking for the reserve price?

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
I'm selling 4 pairs of shoes on ebay....all high end. I listed them at a reserve price to make sure I get what is reasonable for them. Well, I've had buyers just flat out ask me what my reserve price is...is that normal? I don't usually sell at reserve and have recently started doing so after an ordeal with a pair of CLs I finally ended up selling.

I've been just replying that I can't tell you what it is because that defeats the purpose, but it's reasonable and similar to what other shoes like mine have sold for in the past. (something along those lines).

I don't want to seem rude and anger potential buyers, but I don't think I should be giving out reserve prices...it defeats the purpose and it would be unfair to other buyers...anyone else have an opinion on this?

Thanks!

I don't see how it's unfair to other buyers. Maybe they want to know what you're really looking to get for it to see if it's even worth bidding. What's the point in bidding and maybe never having a good enough price? I think reserve prices are silly honestly.

blackonmaroon

Always on the hunt
May 8, 2008
California
Personally, I do think it's a normal question to ask. The one time I've used a reserve price, multiple prospective buyers contacted me about it. And IMHO, I like knowing what the reserve is, as well, to make sure it's not useless for me to even bid and to get an idea of what the seller wants. For me, the purpose of a reserve is to ensure the item doesn't sell for a price below what I perceive its value to be. If a buyer wants to know what I think that price is, I'm happy to tell them.

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
Okay cool, just curious. I just never thought to ask for a reserve price so I figured maybe I just shouldn't give it out. Cool. Thanks.

pzold

**Love my Mastiffs**
O.G.
Apr 20, 2008
Personally, I do think it's a normal question to ask. The one time I've used a reserve price, multiple prospective buyers contacted me about it. And IMHO, I like knowing what the reserve is, as well, to make sure it's not useless for me to even bid and to get an idea of what the seller wants. For me, the purpose of a reserve is to ensure the item doesn't sell for a price below what I perceive its value to be. If a buyer wants to know what I think that price is, I'm happy to tell them.
I agree....IMO a reserve is just to protect the seller. It allows the seller to list as at low prices like $0.99, which attracts more bidders, but protects the seller from being forced to sell an item if they don’t get the price they want. Starting bids very low is a “psychological strategy” that draws more watchers, bidders and creates bidding wars. So why not just start the bidding at the reserve price? …. because items are less likely to be sold with high starting prices. I never use reserves when I sell. I start my auctions at a price I think is fair or the least amount I am willing to sell an item for. That way I am up front with any potential bidder. They know what my bottom line is.

As a buyer, personally, if an auction has a reserve price, I want to know the reserve amount so that I can determine if I am even in the seller’s “ball park”. I don’t want to waste my time watching an item if I know the seller needs more than I am able to afford. Some sellers will even state their reserve price in their auction listing and I appreciate that. If they don't, I will ask to see if I am in the ball park. If I know the reserve is a figure I am comfortable with, I will bid ….. if not, I move on.

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
Makes sense. Thanks. To be honest, I don't like using reserve prices, but after I had this horrible experience of selling a pair of CLs, I didn't want to do that again. People were withdrawing bids, I was getting harassed and had to file with ebay about the harassment....it was horrible!

And you're right, I do want to attract buyers, and I do want to sell my item at a reasonable price. I know people are looking for deals, but I'm not looking to get ripped off either. IDK, we'll see if my things sell or not. I wouldn't be going through all of this if I didn't hurt my foot and couldn't wear high heels.

Take care of your feet ladies! ;)

LindaP

O.G.
Dec 31, 2007
Blue Ridge Mountains, Virginia USA
It's normal and if it were me I would answer them! Nothing more frustrating to a buyer than trying to figure out reserve price and if they're just wasting their time. Personally I steer clear of reserve auctions, I'm a 'buy it now' kind of girl! :smile:

Linda

deekai

Jan 30, 2008
I have only done one or two reserve auctions and state the reserve in the body of the ad. As they say in the answer center......if you want to sell, tell.

fashion_mom1

Apr 28, 2009
If you do not tell them you may not get that many people bidding. there is a saying around ebay that I have seen on the forums--"If you wan to sell it, tell it."

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Where the wild things are
As a buyer, not knowing the amount of the reserve, you can end up wasting more than your time.
You only get three 'guesses' and then you are locked out from making another offer.
I learned that when a seller wouldn't reveal her reserve price. I made three offers and that was it. Turned out her reserve was $20 below the BIN.

poopsie

How Sentimental
O.G.
Jan 14, 2009
Where the wild things are
BIN or no BIN the point I was trying to make was that a buyer only has three guesses as to the mystery amount. After that they are blocked from making further offers.

nancyxwu

handbag addict
Jan 10, 2010
USA
even for the reserve price? So they can only bid 3 times before they can't bid anymore?

I though you only get the 3 tries if you "make an offer".

Mine are just reserve only. Last time I had only reserve at least 4 people bid more than 3 times before the reserve was met. I'm confused..